Create or convert AMS Waveforms outside of Operator?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Create or convert AMS Waveforms outside of Operator?

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 am

Stromkraft wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Ah I see, I thought you meant something more.

8)
I probably did but h*** if I know what it was. Speaking of Sampler I'm using the oscillator to modulate drum samples, especially the attack portion. I certainly love sampling of "real" audio for making unreal unique sounds.
I use the oscillator on almost anything :mrgreen:

Reverse crashes? Just add a little rising Osc Volume ramp at the end
Bass? Map an on/off for the oscillator to gritty it up
Snare? Map on/off for the oscillator to make it a stab sound
etc, etc, etc 8)

If you do the last two live no one knows what the fuck you are doing and how you are doing it :lol:

The on/off of the oscillator functions in my set like a second set of sounds that I can switch to at any given moment 8)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks, but I mentioned that product and linked to it in my very first post.
Make some music!

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:12 pm

I have tested the editors and find they are missing precision. Is there an editor for ams files that lets me graphically recreate waveforms to perfection, it doesn't even have to be as ams file format, but that would be great.

If you look at the editors for this file format, the mini thing in operator and the others all have no way of locking the drawbars to a grid for example in order to make perfect waveforms or also the sheer size of the editor in operator is a pain. If Ableton would go so far that you could pop out the editor in operator to a bigger window with more and precise editing features that would be the icing on the cake.

Another thing I could imagine is someone making an editor for ams files in Max for Live, it would make life so much easier, and I can't believe no one has come up with that idea yet.

If anyone can help or knows if there is a very good editor for ams files out there hiding somewhere let me know!

Funkin8

Post by Funkin8 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Just to be a pain...

One thing that will prevent remotely accurate recreation of waveforms captured in samples which have been FFT analysed and then converted into AMS is:

Is that the AMS file format looks to ignore the phase relationship of the component sine waves, presumably the harmonics in Operator are all added perfectly in phase of each other. Where as real OSC shapes from synths etc don't always follow this principle.

This is why two waveforms can sound the same but look very different, they have the same harmonics but different relative phases of those harmonics.

As they sound the same though the issue is moot unless your planning to modulate (or in fact certain processing) with them and too them, which is obviously the aim in Operator.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Funkin8 wrote:Just to be a pain...

One thing that will prevent remotely accurate recreation of waveforms captured in samples which have been FFT analysed and then converted into AMS is:

Is that the AMS file format looks to ignore the phase relationship of the component sine waves, presumably the harmonics in Operator are all added perfectly in phase of each other. Where as real OSC shapes from synths etc don't always follow this principle.

This is why two waveforms can sound the same but look very different, they have the same harmonics but different relative phases of those harmonics.

As they sound the same though the issue is moot unless your planning to modulate (or in fact certain processing) with them and too them, which is obviously the aim in Operator.
Yes.
If you want to hack some phase relationships in Operator, for example to make a triangle wave, you'll need to use two oscillators and put one of them out of phase with the other. In fact it's possible to get PWM out of Operator using this method. I started making a tutorial on this aspect of Operators additive synthesis, but I have no idea how far I got. I'll take a look this evening and if its complete-ish I'll put it up.

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Funkin8 & Angstrom, I should have wrote my question better than this, totally ashamed now, I wasn't looking to recreate waveforms to perfection, actually I wasn't looking to recreate any at all, I was looking for something that lets me draw waveforms (preferably in Operator style ams format) for later use in Sampler/Simpler, because they can read those files directly.

Just something I can draw them with that has better/more editing/viewing capabilities ... not Monolakes old mams editor, which is basically the same as the one in Operator only a little bigger but with the same inabilities.

So forget what I said about "recreating and precision" please.

Peace!