Tips for making tasty dub drums?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Tips for making tasty dub drums?

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:40 pm

How do you folks make your nice dub dance drums (a la the more dub style Shpongle/Ott/Entheogen/Leftfield/etc)?

Things like the odd snares that get extra delay/verb to add the trippyness: Do you automate the whole track or drum hit reverb/delay after for the whole thing with automation? Manually edit? Do it on a clip by clip basis? Add a different snare to the drum rack that has extra/different delay verb for that pad?

What about cross-stick sounds? Do you find a good single sample, or add/layer bits to give variation in hits? Or just use different velocities in the same kit?

Any particular effects other than some nice reverb? EQ tips?

BTW I've got the suite drums and the bully kit if that tailors the answer in a different direction! And a Push if that helps with how you use the workflow.

Basically gimme all your tips for spacey dub/dance drum production and/or links to the most helpful tutorials?

Cheers! I'm more of a guitarist than a producer unfortunately so I don't have a good production workflow when it comes to sound editing!
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Piplodocus

Re: Tips for making tasty dub drums?

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:41 pm

P.S. Just realised that sig is well out of date so don't let that put you off. I have the latest suite etc...

JDFS

Re: Tips for making tasty dub drums?

Post by JDFS » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:43 am

Amazing Noises Dub Echo.