Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
TYLRbass

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by TYLRbass » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm

alexhobartuk wrote:Hi everyone

I've just started using Push and I'm getting frustrated in how the overdubbing doesn't work in the same way as it does when i just use a simple keyboard. Whenever I go to make a recording while other clips are playing it only records 1 bar of music. In addition, the overdubbing doesn't round up to the next bar it simply ends immediately when I press so I end up with 15+ or 7+. If anyone can help me that would be fantastic!
That may be linked to your launch quantize as far as the ending of recording, the 1 bar clip may be due to fixed length recording

alexhobartuk

Post by alexhobartuk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm having an issue in that when I select an entire effect rather than a sub effect at a fast pace i lose the ability to choose entire effects. This will affect my entire set where i can't choose whole effects for any tracks within it. Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

Peky

Post by Peky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a way to use push's user port with a standard mapping..
Is this possible? I mean, like two separate push controllers but only with one hardware controller..

Thanks for your help :)

nightscope

Post by nightscope » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 am

Peky wrote:Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a way to use push's user port with a standard mapping..
Is this possible? I mean, like two separate push controllers but only with one hardware controller..
PXT-Live Plus, User Mode.

Goto 2.36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHvi7DU3PVk

Goto 10.22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_lq6sjvaQ

Note this User Mode can now be configured with the PXT-Live Plus Editor.

http://beatwise.proboards.com/thread/17 ... lus-editor

PXT-Live and PXT-Live Plus can access common standard midi parameters by default.[Volume, Pan, Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, Bank MSB, Bank LSB & Program Change]

MIDI Mode (Volume and Pan & Send Buttons)
MIDI Mode sends out common MIDI Control Change messages (CCs) and Program Change messages, which most MIDI instruments respond to. By default, the Encoders offer coarse adjustment.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 am

jestermgee wrote:with Push it will "auto detect" the polarity when you power up push with the pedal depressed so should work with anything.
no it doesn't "auto detect", the information in the Live User Manual about polarity and foot switches is completely wrong.

onfive

Post by onfive » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am

G'day.
When using the melodic sequencer and looping sections of the clip, is there a way to have all clips/tracks playback looped and not just the track you are working on?
It's so annoying not being able to hear what you are sequencing in context with the correct bars of other parts.
Cheers.

jeka12

Post by jeka12 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 pm

After push firmware upgrade 1.13 -> 1.16 problems began to emerge.
First, in session mode encoders speed bug: first, all ok. After some tome one encoder reduces the rate of several times (as if the shift key is pressed), other encoder are operating normally. Then a few encoder may enter into this state. Pressing note, then session buttons solve problem for some time.
Second, i enter drum rack mode. Then press volume. Ok, push displays volume for all channels. When i try to touch encoder push change display to device mode. And i can not change volume in drum rack mode.
Third, in user mode, if i press "map" button twice, push can light one pad.

feels like push firmware bug.
I think, write to the wrong memory address in stm32 is performed.

Whether it is possible to roll back the push firmware without ableton live roll back?
Or soon to be fix?

With best regards, Evgeny.

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:37 am

hi all. new push owner here. got a quick question. when I try to record in ableton, push stops responding properly. I either lose monitor sound from push or push becomes unresponsive to drum sequencing. As soon as I click stop recording button, push returns back to normal. Is there something I'm doing wrong to record audio from push and monitor the sound at the same time?

Stefan Mendonsa

Post by Stefan Mendonsa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:33 pm

As soon as I switch on my Push controller, even without loading any instrument track or drums, my pads and knobs have this weird keys sound on them (vinyl sound which is cool) but my problem is this sound remains on all my instruments/drums I load later on, which messes with the final sound output. Any help on how to remove this sound.

I had this same issue a few weeks back but it went away when i started a new session, but now its there like almost always :(

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 pm

You have something in your MIDI Preferences on you computer that is intercepting the notes from playing the Push, i don't think the sound will be coming from Ableton...

Cheers
D

Eleazar_13

Post by Eleazar_13 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:55 am

I have a few questions regarding Push 2. I've looked around and pretty much found out that the answer to all these questions is no, but that's only regarding push 1. Haven't been able to find out if this stuff is possible with Push 2 yet.

1 - Is it possible to copy and paste a single clip using push 2? From what I could tell that wasn't possible on the first one, seems surprising to me that it wouldn't be possible with Push 2, but I can't find any info on it.

2 - Is it possible to change an audio input channel with push 2? I'm pretty sure this one is a no, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

3 - What is the simplest way to work with 3rd party plugs? I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with this aspect of the new push. It says on the website that it works with 3rd party plugs. It's true, but it's super limited (I imagine it's very challenging working with other companies on something like this). It's really only effective when working with a compressor or something simple, I can't browse Massive for example, still gotta go to the computer. I've read about making an instrument rack and using it that way, but that requires setup and I'm always using new patches so how do you guys work around that? Are you just planning your session in advance and loading patches before you use push? If I could browse 3rd party presets Push would take over my life..

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if any of these have been covered, I didn't have much luck with my searches.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 am

1. You can duplicate it to a new slot on the same track, but I don't think you can copy it to a new track.

2. No.

3. Sorry, I mainly use the built in plug-ins with Live these days.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Eleazar_13

Post by Eleazar_13 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks Tarekith.

So you can only duplicate to the next track? I've been doing that, but it would be nice to place a clip wherever you want.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah, I could totally see that. Put it in the Feature Wishlist forum here so the devs see it, it's a good idea.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Eleazar_13

Post by Eleazar_13 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Will do.

I see you said this to another guy on a different thread (obviously I didn't look hard enough.. I did try but apparently I'm blind). Can you point me in the right direction as to how I do this?

"Yes, you can browse 3rd party VSTs now, and you can also define which controls you want on your VSTs shown on the push display, and save that as a default template for each time you load the VST. This is built into Live though, so even none Push owners will be able to use that feature."

I know how to map controls once I have the plug loaded. How does saving a default template work? Once you've done that can you browse presets or are you limited to the preset you're building the template out of.

Thanks for your help. Hope you're enjoying the new push!