Recording and monitor sound

Discuss Push with other users.
jackyjr

Recording and monitor sound

Post by jackyjr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:17 am

hi all. new push owner here. got a quick question. when I try to record in ableton, push stops responding properly. I either lose monitor sound from push or push becomes unresponsive to drum sequencing. As soon as I click stop recording button, push returns back to normal. Is there something I'm doing wrong to record audio from push and monitor the sound at the same time?

THX in advance!!

Stromkraft

Re: Recording and monitor sound

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:34 am

jackyjr wrote:hi all. new push owner here. got a quick question. when I try to record in ableton, push stops responding properly. I either lose monitor sound from push or push becomes unresponsive to drum sequencing. As soon as I click stop recording button, push returns back to normal. Is there something I'm doing wrong to record audio from push and monitor the sound at the same time?
I think you need to read the Live 9 manual. It's bewildering when you say "record audio from Push" as Push is a MIDI controller and not an audio source. It controls musical instruments via MIDI signals, both inside Live and in the outside too as long as you connect MIDI to these instruments (and cables from these into your audio interface).

I must assume you're referring to recording a sound source. I suppose it's likely this is a sound source from within Ableton Live? Do you know? Even if you used Push to select the sound, it was loaded inside Live.

I think your issues might stem from the fact that you need to be on the same track in Live that you want to record to and if you go to another track while recording, this process will be aborted most likely and in addition you need to get back to that recording track in order to be able to play an instrument from the push.

Make sure you can view the in/out section of the track and that already recorded tracks are set to "auto" so recorded clips can play back. When you arm a track for recording Push can play the instrument(s) on it. See more here 14.1 Monitoring
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:56 am

Yes I meant to say record audio within Live using Push to control! (sorry I told you I'm new)

but here's a quick video of what I was trying to tell. As you can see in the video when I click RECORD and select Auto for monitor, push becomes unresponsive. and if I select IN for monitor then I can somehow control push but it doesn't playback parts of the sequencer. This is very strange. Please help!!!

here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6wryV ... e=youtu.be

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:27 am

jackyjr wrote:Yes I meant to say record audio within Live using Push to control! (sorry I told you I'm new)

but here's a quick video of what I was trying to tell.
That's OK.

In the video you're playing back a clip. While it's armed you need to press the record button as well if you want to be able to play on the drum pad and have it play back as you played it. Probably you want to work on a pattern and overdub what you've done so far? For doing this in real-time see See 16.3.3 Overdub Recording MIDI Patterns.

In the video you're step sequencing. This can be combined with real time recording. If you're recording in real time (the played pads are red) just press the record button again and edit the patterns on the Push. If you press and hold a recorded step on the push you can change the exact moment when played as well as the velocity value. Just look at the display while holding in.
This way you can record as you want and edit from the push. The white pads on the right of the playable drum pads indicate the length of the clip in bars. You can set the current start and end point of the clip by pressing the first and last step at the same time. Sometimes this makes it easier to edit a part.

Learn one thing at a time and build it up slowly. Most cool functions are only a few steps away.
Make some music!

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi there.
thank you Stromkraft for the links but I don't think they are the solution to my problem. See I'm having problems with the controller and the monitor audio.

When I load a drum rack and play around using push controller I can hear the sound fine as long as I don't record anything BUT when I click on record in live my push controller becomes unresponsive and I lose the sound and the pads on push become unresponsive. I tried to change monitor from "Auto" to "In" and also tried to change it to "Off" but every time either pads are not responsive or I don't have monitor sound. Please help? How am I supposed to record without monitor?

I uploaded a new video clearly showing what I'm talking about! Thanks in advance for all the help!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJgB83mr0Uo

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 am

jackyjr wrote:When I load a drum rack and play around using push controller I can hear the sound fine as long as I don't record anything BUT when I click on record in live my push controller becomes unresponsive and I lose the sound and the pads on push become unresponsive. I tried to change monitor from "Auto" to "In" and also tried to change it to "Off" but every time either pads are not responsive or I don't have monitor sound. Please help? How am I supposed to record without monitor?
Can you please try without external sync? You'd be better off using Live as the sync master in most cases.
Make some music!

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Can you please try without external sync? You'd be better off using Live as the sync master in most cases.

I did and still the same. I can't record and monitor at the same time.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:57 am

jackyjr wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Can you please try without external sync? You'd be better off using Live as the sync master in most cases.

I did and still the same. I can't record and monitor at the same time.
Well, that's very odd.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:48 am

I don't know much about Push's behavior when doing Arrangement recording, but you might want to try hitting the Session Record button and seeing if that is functioning properly.

It is either the circle shape that is not filled red on the top of the screen, or the circle button on your Push.

If we can confirm that mode works, maybe we can troubleshoot from there.

Update: I just tried with arrangement record.

I have the same problem.

It works with the session record button though.

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Yes that session record is working properly but arrangement record is not working properly.
yur2die4 wrote:I don't know much about Push's behavior when doing Arrangement recording, but you might want to try hitting the Session Record button and seeing if that is functioning properly.

It is either the circle shape that is not filled red on the top of the screen, or the circle button on your Push.

If we can confirm that mode works, maybe we can troubleshoot from there.

Update: I just tried with arrangement record.

I have the same problem.

It works with the session record button though.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:46 am

I experimented further.

If Session View is active and in control, then it overrides your drum page on Push. Some of the behavior is crazy and unpredictable.

If you arrangement record is pressed while session is Not active on that channel, it functions normally.

If you have session active and hit the Back to Arrange button, it goes back to normal.

But if you play back a session mode clip while arrange record is active, your drum page is held captive again and does not function.

So, I'm starting to think that this is sort of a bug?
You can record arrangement view and trigger clips that record into the arrangement slot, but it seems like you can't both record clips and new notes at the same time.

What I forgot to try was seeing if I can have both session record and arrangement record active at once. Actually, I did do that briefly to record the session clip that I used. So maybe both buttons need to be on at once.

Otherwise make a duplicate channel for distinct notes outside of the looped session clips.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:16 pm

yur2die4 wrote: So, I'm starting to think that this is sort of a bug?
You can record arrangement view and trigger clips that record into the arrangement slot, but it seems like you can't both record clips and new notes at the same time.
At least I think this is a current limitation of arrangement and session interplay. I seem to recall an issue like this that were determined to be a design choice. I'm not sure though as I can't recall running into this.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:42 pm

You can play the pads while in either mode, or both.

But you cannot play them while arrange recording only when a session clip is playing.

I don't recall, but I think it behaves like this whether the arm button is pink or red.

You would think you'd at least be able to bang on the pads and trigger sounds if a channel is armed. That's the weird thing.

Maybe Live gets confused about whether to record into the arrangement or the clip?? It shouldn't get confused. If arrangement arm is on but session arm is off, it should play back session clip loops and record them into an arrangement while it also records your playing over the top of them. It should not become completely crippled.
Last edited by yur2die4 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackyjr

Post by jackyjr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:26 pm

So how do I supposed to perform using push (drum pads) and record n monitor what I'm recording?? This has to be a bug. I sent an email to Ableton crew but I don't think they recognize the problem.
yur2die4 wrote:You can play the pads while in either mode, or both.

But you cannot play them while arrange recording only when a session clip is playing.

I don't recall, but I think it behaves like this whether the arm button is pink or red.

DEKATROPS

Post by DEKATROPS » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:43 pm

I have the same problem, and this solved it. You need to change the pitch, as the keyboard keys correspond with drums that aren't there.

Here is the video that solved it for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBDX6fMJus