Can you choke Drumsynth?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jalderwood

Can you choke Drumsynth?

Post by jalderwood » Sat May 02, 2015 3:30 pm

I finally made the move to 9 and am loving the Drumsynth plugins. I'm familiar with choke groups on other machines but have never used it in Ableton. So I tried to do that and it's not working.

I dropped 4 drumsynths in a drum rack (k, ch, ph, oh), set up a pattern and switched the hats to choke group 1. Well the pattern plays as expected but they are not choking. As you can see from the screen my openhat decay is turned way up - it doesn't choke.

Any advice here? Does a choke group just send a note off? (Because it looks like drumsynth doesn't support note off.)

chrk

Re: Can you choke Drumsynth?

Post by chrk » Sat May 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Can you choke M4L devices at all?

I've tried a few quite different M4L patches in a drumrack, all in the same choke group, and had no luck.

The choking can't be note length, though, I have also tried Simpler-/Sampler based one shots with short non-overlapping notes. Their long tails were choked perfectly. Plus, the choke mechanism is in the I/O section of the chains. It must be an issue with playing through the M4L engine.

jalderwood

Post by jalderwood » Sat May 02, 2015 5:12 pm

It wouldn't be note length - release time determines what happens when you let off a sustained note. I tried with another synth and choke works. This would seem to confirm that the problem is no support for note off on drumsynth.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm

jalderwood wrote:It wouldn't be note length - release time determines what happens when you let off a sustained note. I tried with another synth and choke works.
This would seem to confirm that the problem is no support for note off on drumsynth.
But choke works on sustained or released audio from Simplers, Samplers, Operators (or any other synth) just the same, only M4L devices don't get choked.

jalderwood

Post by jalderwood » Sat May 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Well I just tested that and it works the way I would expect it to - the sound is not cut off instantly by choke, it triggers the release phase of the envelope. Drumsynth doesn't have release. I also tested the M4L belly full preset and it also works as expected and does have release.

Has anyone else come up with a good way to choke drumsynth?

roby

Post by roby » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 pm

I just encountered this issue with Operators and KarmaFX: viewtopic.php?p=1675205#p1675205

I have no idea what the wrong combination of instruments to choke groups is, but from what I've seen, only Simplers and Samplers choke properly.

twobob

Post by twobob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

One could add the ADSR to the max device as shown (or more beautifully) and add to presentation

This will choke as expected

One could automate the release or whatever to add a little flava

This could be extrapolated across the suite provided