SIR StandardClip == s(m)exoscope + Logic BitCrusher ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mariosprt

SIR StandardClip == s(m)exoscope + Logic BitCrusher ???

Post by Mariosprt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:10 am

Hi guys

ince I moved to Live, I've been looking for a 64-bit alternative for the s(m)exoscope + BitCrusher combo I used back in Logic. Can SIR Audio Tools StandardClip be it? For 19€ is tempting...
Has anyone tried it for the same goal, reducing peaks in transistents without nasty distortion or artifacts?

http://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardCLIP.php

Thanks a lot
Mario

Stromkraft

Re: SIR StandardClip == s(m)exoscope + Logic BitCrusher ???

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Mariosprt wrote:Hi guys

ince I moved to Live, I've been looking for a 64-bit alternative for the s(m)exoscope + BitCrusher combo I used back in Logic. Can SIR Audio Tools StandardClip be it? For 19€ is tempting...
Has anyone tried it for the same goal, reducing peaks in transistents without nasty distortion or artifacts?
It might be a fine product. I haven't tested it.
I use transient modifiers like Waves TransX, Native Instruments Transient Master and other built in transient tools for the attack phase. I also use the very transparent and fast Waves C1 Compressor for the same purpose and for the rest of signal shaping.

I'm not sure how you connect Bit Reduction to "without nasty distortion or artifacts" as the latter is what I want when I turn to Bit Reduction. Live comes with Redux so you might want to check out that audio effect.

For graphical analysis I wouldn't want to be without Melda MMultiAnalyzer that has a Spectrum Analyzer, a Sonogram, a Collision and a Loudness view. The latter nicely replaced s(m)exoscope for me.
Make some music!

Mariosprt

Re: SIR StandardClip == s(m)exoscope + Logic BitCrusher ???

Post by Mariosprt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18 am

Hey Stromkraft

I endedup getting StandardClip, am currently testing it. Will check out Melda MMultiAnalyzer video to see how the Loudness view works.

I have NI Transient Master, and quite like it, the compressors don't have the same effect I think. Do you set the compressor as a limiter, with high threshold?

The BitCrusher, I used after watching Tim Allan's excellent Groove3 tutorial. Until then it never crossed my mind to use bit reduction "without" artifacts, just as an effect as you said. But he does a good job in that video of clipping the transient with it.

Thanks
Mario