How do I change when an audio track plays?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aro2220

How do I change when an audio track plays?

Post by Aro2220 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm completely new to Ableton Live and DAWs in general, so bear with me.

I put a drum audio recording into my song and I can get it to play but it seems to either be playing the entire song, or none of the song.

How do I change it so this drum loop comes in after 40 bars or so and maybe cuts out 10 bars before the end? The only options I can find seem to change at what portion of this audio loop it starts at (so halfway through or something) but I want it to start at the beginning and loop continuously for the portion of the song I want it to be in.

Thanks

darkenedsoul

Re: How do I change when an audio track plays?

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Do you have the track in arrangement view? I mean the main track/tracks? If so put your drum clip on another track and drag it to where you want it to start playing, and go from there. Been awhile since I worked in Live, of which I do need to get off my ass and get back to it...

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 pm

If you hit Tab there are two different views. One is for triggering things to play until you stop and change to other clips.

The other view, Arrgement View, is for predetermining the arrangement of your song. On that view, you would place your clips into the appropriate spot on the timeline.

Session View overrides Arrangement View. If you hit stop or play on a channel on Session View, your Arrangement View channel will not do anything. You will see that it is grayed out. To switch to have Live playback based on Arrangement, you hit the "Back to Arrangement" buttons.

Aro2220

Post by Aro2220 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I see what you mean. That is very helpful, thank you! I was thrown off by that overriding thing and it took me a bit to understand it a little better.