Good video of Ableton head of design Ed Macovaz

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Good video of Ableton head of design Ed Macovaz

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 pm

http://internetagemedia.com/talks/ed-macovaz/

Some insights into what's been happening since Live 8 was released.

Tarekith

Re: Good video of Ableton head of design Ed Macovaz

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:46 pm

And another article with Gerhard and Dennis Desantis:

http://www.readlagom.com/lagom-x-ableton

Talks about Push and the upcoming Loop event.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:And another article with Gerhard and Dennis Desantis:

http://www.readlagom.com/lagom-x-ableton

Talks about Push and the upcoming Loop event.
fluff piece

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Are you one of those going to Loop by any chance Tom?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm

A this talk about stopping work and fixing everything after L8 really rubs me the wrong way.

L8 was relatively trouble free for me, and L9 has been non-stop trouble. it still clicks, pops and CPU surges.
Where is the improvement exactly? All I see is degradation of the products reliability from the previous version.

I still report bugs but here we are at L9.2.3 b4 and there are still massive issues with the automatic deactivation and re-activation of instruments.

For example: https://youtu.be/J2tjSp2QN6Y

an unresolved and un-answered, un-allocated bug sat in the beta system for weeks without comment.

L9 is buggier than L8 ever was

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:Are you one of those going to Loop by any chance Tom?
I don't see why I should

People telling me how to be creative is nothing I believe in.
People telling me how to be creative while I pay for it even less so.

Besides the amount of Berlin hipsters at such events is insufferable.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Angstrom wrote:A this talk about stopping work and fixing everything after L8 really rubs me the wrong way.

L8 was relatively trouble free for me, and L9 has been non-stop trouble. it still clicks, pops and CPU surges.
Where is the improvement exactly? All I see is degradation of the products reliability from the previous version.

I still report bugs but here we are at L9.2.3 b4 and there are still massive issues with the automatic deactivation and re-activation of instruments.

For example: https://youtu.be/J2tjSp2QN6Y

an unresolved and un-answered, un-allocated bug sat in the beta system for weeks without comment.

L9 is buggier than L8 ever was
And damn how he goes into how great a streamlined experience they wanted to make Push.

And they don't even manage to hire an intern for 2 days to do a decent mapping of their own devices for it. - To this day!!!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, the mapping of their own devices thing is sort of a standard that they've cornered themselves into from earlier automatic mapping behaviors.

They'd either have to update it and piss off the people who were accustomed to the old standard, or leave it and let people be frustrated with its quirks.

It works pretty consistently across all devices (APC, Push, Novation Remote, Mackie). The other method I've seen pop up periodically is sort of an automatic list of all available parameters. I've seen that on old Mackie control and on Touchable. That method is even more irritating sometimes. I think it'd be nice if they at least re-arranged the priority of devices that show up on that particular list and then applied it to Push. This would improve the other devices that use that method while retaining the standard for all other devices.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:40 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Well, the mapping of their own devices thing is sort of a standard that they've cornered themselves into from earlier automatic mapping behaviors.

They'd either have to update it and piss off the people who were accustomed to the old standard, or leave it and let people be frustrated with its quirks.
This is only true because they chose it to be.

Yes the devices.py is in the generic folder, meaning each control surface uses it.
But you can't tell me that it would have been difficult to make the Push script call a file in its own script folder instead.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:42 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Well, the mapping of their own devices thing is sort of a standard that they've cornered themselves into from earlier automatic mapping behaviors.

It works pretty consistently across all devices (APC, Push, Novation Remote, Mackie). The other method I've seen pop up periodically is sort of an automatic list of all available parameters. I've seen that on old Mackie control and on Touchable. That method is even more irritating sometimes. I think it'd be nice if they at least re-arranged the priority of devices that show up on that particular list and then applied it to Push. This would improve the other devices that use that method while retaining the standard for all other devices.
I'm guessing this is why the Nektar Panorama doesn't really work with Live also. It's a shame, I fancy buying one of those as the company seems good, but as with the Linnstrument - Ableton Live just can't do what's required to support the hardware.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Another one of theses videos where nothing is being said. I assume this is only part of the video.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:16 pm

paradiddle wrote:Another one of theses videos where nothing is being said. I assume this is only part of the video.
Yeah I too was surprised in what world this constitutes a "Good video"...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:08 pm

definitely koolkids will love this video!
By the way, I'd like a rogue software that makes me look creative.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:35 pm

pencilrocket wrote:definitely koolkids will love this video!
Waffling business slideshows by bad public speakers is what the koolkids are into nowadays? 8O

Damn, I'm getting old!