Novation circuit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

Novation circuit

Post by mickmike » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've seen, is this not an embarrassing piece of shit. Dance music paint by numbers. Buy the CDs in tesco. I think I'll buy one to pair with my akai rythm wolf, and new korg electribe. Come on, it's just fucking insulting. Pop dance yeah! Raspberry

john gordon

Re: Novation circuit

Post by john gordon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Elektron are the only forward thinking music makers these days. Well... And T.E. Have you seen the new Akai piece of garbage?

JohnLoftus

Post by JohnLoftus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 am

mickmike wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I've seen, is this not an embarrassing piece of shit. Dance music paint by numbers. Buy the CDs in tesco. I think I'll buy one to pair with my akai rythm wolf, and new korg electribe. Come on, it's just fucking insulting. Pop dance yeah! Raspberry
I can confirm that you are indeed 'missing something'.
Circuit is incredible.

John // Novation

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 am

The funny thing is to pretend that all these electronic dance music producers schooled by the same youtube tutorials, following the same websites on music theory reduced to the cycle of fifth, fawning about bloggers, who tell them how to produce 49 tracks per year and that song structures follow simple patterns, who use all the same presets in all the same synths and drum machines and slavishly analyze the tracks of always the same popular artists, so that they can copy their recepies for success........are doing anything but painting by numbers :lol:

But sure the Electribe and Novation Circuit are the end of an era of creative dance music :roll:

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:22 pm

The same could be said about that old piece of shit known as the 303. If everyone thought like you we wouldn't have any music. I can't wait to get a circuit but I am admittedly a groove box junkie. I think it looks awesome.

Don't like it? Don't buy it?

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 pm

John novation, my initial post may have been unduly harsh. But all the emails I received suggested that Circuit was the second coming of JC. The marketing worked, and my interest aroused. Then watching the clichéd videos, it didn't seem all that at all both sonically and creatively. Now, I own various novation products, and it seems a dumbed down let down. However if you can send me one, I am happy to give a fair whack and review it. I would love to be proved wrong

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Meh. There’s a groove box explosion right now. I won’t go full TomV on this right now, but a good song is a good song and a not so good song is a not so good song. To me a good song shouldn’t need to be accompanied by a performance video so it somehow sounds better because they are making it with technology with limits.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 pm

I love equipment limitations, as it makes you work in a clear and concise way. But there are limitations if u get what I mean

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I love grooveboxes, so I'm a happy musician these days. So many great choices, and I'm definitely interested in trying Circuit too.

There's something to be said for just having fun and messing around away from the computer for a bit.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:50 pm

The recording method is what has me most interested. It appears you can record loops of different lengths for each 'voice' (synth 1, 2, drums). It looks quick in that department, very similar to push.

On top of that you have the transposition method which is one of my favorite types. That feature seems to be missing from most other grooveboxes.

It looks a lot more fun than other things on the market to me. And surprisingly fast if you know the button combinations.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Being lured in again... also love grooveboxes. Plus it's truely portable. Will reserve judgement until it's had a chance to bed in. Is there gonna be enough variation to produce uniqueness though ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:18 pm

That's my only concern. With only two synths, I'm just hoping that in the long term it's not like Kaossilator or Figure where I like the workflow but start wishing for more variety of sounds after a few months.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Agreed. I love having fun making music, but after a while, if you can't start putting some proper shit together, then it quickly becomes irrelevant. There's a big market for a product along these lines, and hopefully someone's gonna nail it. The ipad is ok, and powerful, but it just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:51 pm

I go back and forth with the iPad. Hard to beat the battery life, portability, and the variety and quality of apps out there for it. But sometimes I do want something more focused, and it's hard to deny that half the apps out there I like seem to always have issues talking to each other. Sometimes things like the electribe or OP-1 are nice for just doing only the few things they do.