control the same parameter by more than one MIDI knob?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
andreX

control the same parameter by more than one MIDI knob?

Post by andreX » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:03 am

Hi all,

one question I haven´t managed to twist my head around yet:

While performing in Session mode, I advance the scenes by pressing MIDI buttons on my footcontroller.
Easily done, I assign my MIDI buttons (sending a NoteOn) to those three tiny buttons between the Master Channel Scene names and the Master fader.

Now I also want to do the same action (scene up/down/ fire) using my footcontroller at the same time. Sometimes the footcontroller is better, sometime the buttons on my Beatstep are more accessible.

(Hope I explained it properly...)

So: how can I map two different MIDI notes to the very same button in Live?

thx,
Andre

ps:
Yes, I do have M4L, no I never used it yet ;o)
MacBookPro 15" retina 2013, MacOSX 10.13, Faderfox LX1, LV1, VDMX, Live 9

overflow1

Re: control the same parameter by more than one MIDI knob?

Post by overflow1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:35 am

Same MIDI Channel and same CC or Note on should do the trick. You dont even have to map both just one and the other should work as well.

yur2die4

Re: control the same parameter by more than one MIDI knob?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:40 am

If one of them is customizable, you can set it to send the same midi data as the other controller.

Similarly, there are programs that you can send your controllers to, and then the program itself will send midi out to Live. So your foot controllers would send midi to the program, the program would change the midi from one message to another, then the new translated messages would go into Live. This wouldn't really introduce any latency.

A third option would be if you managed to find a control surface script for either controller that had built in features for scene up/down/launch. (In fact, two options you might be able to use are 'selected track control' or ClyphX). Using a Control Surface means you wouldn't even actually have to 'midi map', so you wouldn't need to 'map' more than one controller, one of the controllers would just automatically function without mapping.