recording in arrangement view "spilling out"

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
five_magics

recording in arrangement view "spilling out"

Post by five_magics » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 am

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you with this question...
When recording in arrangement view, I always have my clip length spill out after I hit the spacebar. Like it the images here :

When I record in session mode, my recording is truncated at the bar just before I hit the stop button, thus sparing me the need to reajust my clip like I would have to do in the to examples above...

Is there a way to get the clips to truncate themselves in arrangement mode, as they do in session mode ?

Many thanks.

jestermgee

Re: recording in arrangement view "spilling out"

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Clips will automatically round themselves which is why recording to clips is quite useful.

You could simply record to a track clip then drag it into your arrangement (allowing multiple takes or the ability to then continue in a loop and layer etc).

Or

In arrangement make use of the Punch-in/out markers to start and stop your recording exactly where you want. This requires you to spend the same amount of time though setting this up in the first place so it's not a "time saver" but another tool to turn to.

five_magics

Re: recording in arrangement view "spilling out"

Post by five_magics » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 am

Many thanks

Actually I figured the "artifact" at the beginning of the clip as below (corresponding to the time I take to hit the stop button once I'm done) doesn't appear with midi overdub, just with audio (because audio doesn't overdub obviously).

When I'm working with audio I just do control Z to get rid of the artifact.
Then I consolidate my section, getting rid of the unwanted takes around. 8)