Best Wave Editing Software Currently

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shift Gorden

Re: Best Wave Editing Software Currently

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:05 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
evon wrote:Been using wavelab, sound forge and to a lesser extent isotope. But just wondered what the standard is for professional mastering.
Why is that important?

The standard for professional mastering is sending it to professionals who master.
Well, I think the question is related to what those professionals use to master. :D

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Well, I think the question is related to what those professionals use to master. :D
According to a professional on ths board, it boils down to
Tarekith wrote:etc.
:mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Calm down everyone and keep it civil please.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Audition 3.0 is the best. I can chop my single shots and drum hits faster on that software than my sound forge for mac. The only reason why I still rock my windows 7 machine :D
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

mkell424

The best audio editor?

Post by mkell424 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Hello. I noticed in Live it will launch a clip into an audio editor. Any suggestions on a good one for the Mac? I'm not interested in a web based editor. Thanks for your help.

[topic merged]

kitekrazy

Re: The best audio editor?

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:47 am

Soundforge for Mac, Steinberg's Wave Lab.

mkell424

Post by mkell424 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:02 am

Sound forge and WaveLab are $200-$300. More expensive than I thought!

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:07 am

mkell424 wrote:Sound forge and WaveLab are $200-$300. More expensive than I thought!
ocenaudio is a free alternative and a great all-around audio editor for mac.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:39 am

Triumph is $80, and you get some of the best SRC and dithering included with the iZotope settings.
Tarekith

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Tarekith wrote:Triumph is $80, and you get some of the best SRC and dithering included with the iZotope settings.
I still never figured out how to get along with Triumph.. the changes after the big name change totally threw me and I never recovered. Basic workflow processes became longer to perform (my most important one = select a range of audio in a file and be able to save it as a separate file immediatley; e.g. in Audition I select, right click, "Save Selection as New Audio file.") For sampling movies and other audio sources, that's a must have. Most other audio editors seem to rely on archaic processes where you have to copy+paste and save, executing tons of commands rather than just One. I think it was Soundforce Mac that was *slightly* better, because it had a "copy & paste selection to new file," but then you still had to save that file as an additional command, and that still slows things down notably and results in various window-jumping compared to audition's 1-command approach (crucial when doing LOTS of sampling at once). Anyway, point being: did Triumph ever smooth this stuff out at all?
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:22 pm

They haven't made any workflow changes like that, still the same basic idea. I still use Wave Editor for quick edits, but Triumph is my go to for mastering.
Tarekith

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Same story here for Triumph. There is something about not being able to just select some damn audio and perform an edit on it that drives me mad with this app. I even tried again this week but just couldn't get going once again.

Izotope just released RX 5 and now that they've allowed fades to have key commands I'm finding myself doing most editing tasks with it.

I'm also trying Audition now and so far I the combo of those two might be all I ever need.

Now I'm still looking for a great standalone replacement for Waveburner. DSP-Quattro has a similar function but it's fussy and I don't get along with it.

For now I'm using Studio One 2's project mode which so far has worked as a good Waveburner replacement. But that's an entire DAW just for that one function. It works for me personally but I'm trying to find a cheaper replacement for my workplace's editing station. The search continues…
Unsound Designer

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:10 pm

stringtapper wrote:Now I'm still looking for a great standalone replacement for Waveburner. DSP-Quattro has a similar function but it's fussy and I don't get along with it.

For now I'm using Studio One 2's project mode which so far has worked as a good Waveburner replacement. But that's an entire DAW just for that one function. It works for me personally but I'm trying to find a cheaper replacement for my workplace's editing station. The search continues…
You may want to look at HOFA's CD-Burn & DDP. 60€ as a plugin or standalone, or 100€ for both.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:13 pm

chrk wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Now I'm still looking for a great standalone replacement for Waveburner. DSP-Quattro has a similar function but it's fussy and I don't get along with it.

You may want to look at HOFA's CD-Burn & DDP. 60€ as a plugin or standalone, or 100€ for both.
That's actually the one I thought I was going to switch to but from what I could tell it lacks one big thing that I need and that's to be able to export the tracks at higher than CD resolution. I have to work at 24/96 for my job because it's the archiving standard so it's really a necessity at this point. Waveburner has the same limitation, which is another reason I've been looking for a replacement.
Unsound Designer

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 pm

for quick edits Fission is my fave (OS X only). i don't know what SRC or dithering algorithms it uses though...