New Desk Studio Furniture is expensive!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: New Desk Studio Furniture is expensive!!!

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:34 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:
I just noticed that sub on the floor. Must be nice not having neighbors. I live in an apt building with my mom at the moment so basically I use my headphones 99% of time. Luckily I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic 770 pro 80ohm. . Can where them for hours they are so comfortable.
You do what ya gotta do. I can't have large monitors so I have those small Alesis one you can get on sale at Guitar Center when they are $50. More are entering the market for smaller monitors even tho' they are really over glorified PC speakers.
I've also started going with mini controllers.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:01 pm

I have a good mind to order two custom-cut tabletops from IKEA's kitchen dept. to put on either side of my IKEA Jerker desk, mostly to have more workspace and avoid cluttering the space between me and the PC monitor.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:14 pm

login wrote:
EasyWorkflow wrote:
I have 3 table top pieces of MIDI gear, Push, APC-40MK2 and Kontrol 61. My other MIDI gear are Godin MIDI guitars and two KMI foot controllers. So these are not an issue. I just can't figure out where the 61 key controller should go. You have two keys. Do you play both of them in the exact location they located are do you move them around? I always had PUSH directly in front of me plus I ordered a second 27 inch monitor to go with my IMac. They are 25 inches wide. I also have 8 inch wide JBL monitors. So I would need to have 66 Inches of desk space just for the monitors and speakers. That is why I was looking at studio furniture where the 61 inch controller slides out from under the desk. My only concern is what is the correct height for playing keys? I am a newbie so I want to make learning as easy as possible?

Thanks
Yes, there is a correct height for keyboard if you wanna have correct posture, it is around 71-76 cm, also you can use an adjustable seat as those for piano. That desk has the correct height for having the top of the keys around 72cm.

WHile researching for furniture and designing this desk I came across a common problem: if you wanna have the keybaord at the correct height it is going to conflict with the computer keyboard. Sliding the keys under the kb IMHO is not that ergonomical because if you place it low enought so that what ever is on top is also comfortable to use then the kb will end way too low, and if you place it at the correct height then whatever is on tops will be too high. As you can see my solution was to left enough space infront of the digital piano to place a computer kb and the mouse.

For example check out this desk http://www.zaorstudiofurniture.com/idesign/idesk-key/ and it's PDF where they have the dimmensions, the keyboard tray is at 59.8 cm from the floor so a digital piano will add another 11 cm and the keys top will be around 71 cm. The upper desk ends way too high at 77cm for the computer kb. It's a nice design but I would make the keyoard tray deeper so I could have my computer keyboard in front of the digital piano.

The second keyboard isn't in a good position to play it sitting, but I didn't want to have it by the side, and it's nice heoght for playing it standing up which I do a lot, stand up breaks from sitting are healthy.

I am getting a laptop so I wil get rid of the computer monitor and the monitor speakers are going to be place in columns.
I am going to buy a piece of studio furniture. I tried to go a cheaper route, but I decided to go for it and treat myself nice. I have been looking at these two pieces which ironically are made by the same company you listed.

http://www.zaorstudiofurniture.com/miza/miza-z/
http://www.zaorstudiofurniture.com/miza/miza-88-xl/

I am still a tad confused. The first thing I can't figure out is if two 27in monitors will be too high if I went with second option as it has a second level which would make me look up at monitors. The first option would allow me to have the 61 key controller underneath and enough room for apple keyboard next to it if I wanted to, and have the 27 imac & 27 inch monitor with my 8 inch JBL speaker on each side of two monitors near back of desk and give me plenty of room for my Push & APC 40Mk2, Scarlett 2i4 interface on front of desk. I do not have any rack gear and if needed gear, they make accessories to go with the basic desk. What is your opinion about having monitors on a second tier? And if if I keep the controller and apple keyboard next to each other, does that make sense so I am always using the same height? Thanks. This is making me nuts.

jrob6716

Post by jrob6716 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:21 am

jROB