Live 9.5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
XSIMan

Re: Live 9.5

Post by XSIMan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 am

Andy at Cytomic said on another forum that the new Live 9.5 filters use a new filter algo he made for The drop.
Last edited by XSIMan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 am

XSIMan wrote:Andy at Cytomic said on another forum that the new Live 9.5 filters use a new filter algo he made for The Drop which are more acurate than the Drop's HD filters.
Could you please do me a favor and find a link to that thread ? I would like to read it through.

Thanks,
Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 am

The upgraded filters are only in Simpler, Sampler, Autofilter, and Operator.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:33 am

Got it a bit wrong so updated my post the new filter algos are not as good as the HD ones in The Drop but they are great and better than The Drops standard algos.

Andy's comment at KVR on The Drop and Live 9.5. :-

"News: Over the past couple of weeks I've been busy optimising the filters to make them all more efficient. I've also come up with new algorithm to use to solve the MD filters which still uses a fixed amount of cpu but is much closer sound to the full HD filters at only a fraction more cpu. These new MD filter algorithms are able to solve all the current filter circuits, so now there will be MD versions of the MS1, SHR, JPR, and PRD :) I've also implemented a new "Transposed SVF" (still to be named) which is a similar circuit to that used in the ARP Odyssey. These will be released in a free update soon.

Also today Live 9.5 has been released, which includes the new MD style PRD filters, and the current OSR MD, SMP MD, and MS2 MD filters from The Drop. These filters are included in Simpler, Sampler, Operator and Auto Filter."

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=2595

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 am

XSIMan wrote:I'm presuming the new filters are the same ones from Cytomic's The Drop. If so you guys are spoiled they are reguarded by many on many forums as the best analog modeled filters ever. They were modeled on the most famous synthesizer filters. I'm hoping Andy fills us in with some details. I also want to know if the new Max essentials synths use The Drop's filters.
The new filters are exactly the same as the MS2 MD, SMP MD, and OSR MD from The Drop, as well as a new MD version of the PRD filters which is soon to appear in The Drop. These filters are highly non-linear but you you can crank up the drive and they still sound smooth, people that are used to analog kit will be familiar with this kind of sound and depth of tone. These MD style filters are efficient and use a fixed amount of CPU, so are perfect for use across the board in Live synths as well as Auto Filter, and a slight tweak is on the way that will make them sound even better at high frequencies with large amounts of drive.

The new filters are only available inside Live, Cycling 74' have not licensed them so they are not available in MAX.

If anyone has any more questions on the new filter please ask away!
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:44 am

pretty nice - i just been playing around with those new synths and the updated simpler is ace. i like the double level meter thingys. the colours for tracks i don't really care about as i tend to make mine either white or red anyway

i dont give a shit about push either. for me it's just too big and heavy. i got a quneo which is all i need padwise, and about 10 other types of controller in various shapes and forms

it's quiet at work today and there's nothing to look at out the window as it's dead foggy so i'm just going to carry on tinkering :)

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply Andy and thanks for making Live better.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:48 am

On 9.5 64 bit OSX Mavericks, the only synth in the new M4L Essentials that is working is the Multi. The others refuse to emit any sound. Anyone else having this problem? Also, no firmware update for Push 1 after Live 9.5 install, so how did they make these fixes they are claiming they made? And where are these new drum sounds and what are they called? I'm not sure why everything has to be so cryptic with this company. Is it just laziness or are they really trying hard to be like Apple? Lame.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:57 am

XSIMan wrote:Got it a bit wrong so updated my post the new filter algos are not as good as the HD ones in The Drop but they are great and better than The Drops standard algos.
There are two types of filters in The Drop, the MD and HD versions. The MD uses a low fixed amount of CPU, the HD use a higher and variable amount of CPU (which isn't ideal for Live!) Over the past couple of months I've come up with a better way to do the MD filters , which uses a cut down version of the same solver used by the HD methods, but still delivers a fixed amount of CPU. Currently only the PRD model uses this new style MD, we just didn't have enough time to get all the filters updated for this release of Live, but an update is on the way to deliver this to both Live and The Drop. This will increase the quality at high cutoff frequencies with large amounts of drive, but otherwise will sound the same as the existing MD / HD filters. All of these filters offer incredible tone, so start using them straight away, but make sure you don't have anything else on since you will find the hours pass rather quickly before you know it!
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Can't wait to throw some Zebra and Bazille through Autofilter tonight !

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Hey Andy, thanks for adding your knowledge to Live. I tend to use the application as a modular so every time i used the old autofilter I felt pained. It's going to be fun stress testing the new version of Autofilter!

For those of us wondering about the models, I'll copy your own explanation from elsewhere
MS1 = Sallen Key with transistor core (eg MS20 mk1)
MS2 = Sallen Key with LM13700 core (eg MS20 mk2)
SMP = Custom designed circuit with tone half-way between an MS2 and OSR
OSR = State Variable filter with OTA core (eg OSCar)
SHR = Cascade with IR3109 core, diode in feedback (eg SH-101 SH-2)
JPR = Cascade with IR3109 core, OTA in feedback (eg Jupiter-8 Juno-6)
PRD = Transistor ladder core with differential buffer (eg Prodigy)
A small question ...
Was there any particular reason Ableton didn't ask for the Roland filters?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Will this update roll if I just turn "auto-update" back on? Or do I need to download and install? Seems like a bigger update than usual.

Looking forward to trying these new filters and the new features in Simpler. I think the RMS levels on the meters are long overdue. That's one less plugin I have to add. :)
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:44 pm

There's a lot of new content that comes in the stock library now, so I'd download myself. 100's of new drum samples and drum racks, new Max devices if you have suite, etc.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

For some reason, the new Max for Live devices are not included in my install. Has anyone else experienced this? Or should I upgrade the Max Essentials Pack, I wonder?

EDIT: Yes the new installer does not come with this package for some reason. I see it as an omission as there is no notice about having to download it extra. Or my installer was faulty.
Last edited by Korhan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Ok I gave in and installed it :roll: :mrgreen:

Like the looks of the new Simpler a lot,
BUT Why is there only an Amp envelope in classic mode and why can't the Loop start, Length etc. be mapped anymore? (even though they light up green!)
Someone said they are going after the Hip Hop market - I'd think this sort of loop control is very important there (and not just there!)
Let's hope this is a glitch to be ironed out!

AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, bring these changes to Sampler - SOON!

Angstrom wrote:Hey Andy, thanks for adding your knowledge to Live. I tend to use the application as a modular so every time i used the old autofilter I felt pained. It's going to be fun stress testing the new version of Autofilter!
Same here. Hardly ever used it. But these new filters sound very good. This might get me to start using Autofilter a lot more :D
Thanks Andy 8)