Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by deva » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:
deva wrote: All of that is moot for me... 8x8 overwhelmingly beats 4x4! 4x4 is a total show stopper (for me). The Push user interface is good enough for me. I also have no interest to avoid my lovely 27" screen. For many of my DAW tasks, screen and mouse is better than Maschine or Push so for those sorts of situations, it does not matter to me how the two controllers compare.
I'm not convinced there will ever be a "one controller to rule them all!" Too many different users etc. The whole using Push as a keyboard doesn't really do it for me, I'm not looking to replace a regular piano key set up. For most of what Push is supposed to do, usability is low compared to Maschine. Even something as simple as step recording with dynamics in the drum machine, Maschine wins.

but make no mistake, I think you're intentionally avoiding my point with all this, the interface as far as the buttons on Push are IMO 100% sacrificing usability over a device like Maschine, can you really argue that the tiny font, badly lit, graphite on graphite, buttons have any advantage at all over translucent, well lit, brightly colored buttons on a black background? I'm near sighted, I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who had to wear reading glasses etc.??
I didn't avoid it... I said it didn't matter that much to me. I enjoy Push and find it productive. Yeah, I'd like the buttons to be lit brighter and now in Push 2 they are. I don't think Ableton was sacrificing usability as much as it was simply that Push was the first iteration and it had some learning curve.

I'm gonna trade my Push 1 in for Push 2 in the Ableton program.

I really enjoy playing the pads instead of my keys. Not all the time, but they lead to different outcomes. Pads are expressive in ways the keys aren't and the keys are expressive in ways the pads aren't. The Push pads also have Poly Aftertouch. I'm glad to have both.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:47 am

deva wrote:The Push pads also have Poly Aftertouch.
But Live (still!) doesn't ;-)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:51 am

Machinesworking wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Wow, great news. I was off work for a week doin nothin but programming Zebra, and come back to this.
stereospread wrote:http://m.imgur.com/a/MXYJL
lots of cool stuff in there.

Looking forward to 9.5

Push 2 seems a bit expensive though.
Where are you getting a price for Push 2?
Saw it somewhere as 699 euro at the time in one of this thread's posts...but I believe the official specs/price etc has since been released also in this thread...just got back to work so haven't had time to properly check everything out.

login wrote:By the way, this is on the changelog:
A parameter configuration can now be saved as a default per AU or VST plug-in. This is done via a new context menu entry available in Live's plug-in device. The default configurations are stored in a "Plug-In Configurations" folder under "User Library/Defaults".
I hope this means what I think it means...and I hope they implemented it exactly as I requested - via specific cells representing banks on Push and so on, or I shall forever have a slight scowl lurking beneath my brow

I'm almost certainly trading in my Push for version 2. Love the first one, can't wait to check out the new features, like previewing, which was sorely lacking.

deva

Post by deva » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 am

TomViolenz wrote:
deva wrote:The Push pads also have Poly Aftertouch.
But Live (still!) doesn't ;-)
Bitwig does ;-)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:00 am

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/push1-live95/

excellent - great updates for the first Push...I might actually hold on to my version 1 for a bit...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 am

tedlogan wrote:https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/push1-live95/

excellent - great updates for the first Push...I might actually hold on to my version 1 for a bit...
Note however that certain Simpler parameters cannot be automated in Live (Sample Start,
That reads like it defeats the purpose of controlling the Sample start

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 am

Just wanted to point out that Push2 isn't made by Akai anymore, it's all Ableton at this point. So the pads are totally new and redesigned on the new unit. They're a bit softer and have more of a matte finish that makes them easier to play. Consistancy across pads is MUCH better (and the overall sensitivity is a lot more configurable), and color variations pad to pad (rainbow push) are gone.

The new Push 2 is a tiny bit lighter, and a tiny bit bigger on the sides (same height). The buttons are now recessed and have a more positive click when you press them, and the labels on the buttons are much easier to read now. Also, the top plate is aluminum now, so no more peeling black rubber on the corners.

Obviously the display is great, especially the viewing angle and how well they implement the colors of the display with the colors of the pads and buttons. No more need for SeaPush hacks, now the pads reflect the track color in a lot of areas on the controller. Being able to graphically edit samples in Simpler right from controller is great.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can about it, though it might take me a couple hours to reply as I need to catch up on some much needed sleep after a LONG weekend :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:30 am

Does anyone know if you can resample direct from the controller?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 am

How so?
Tarekith

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

Free Upgrade to Push 2 for Push 1 users
Great!

jk...

RIP in pepperoni Push 1 users!!

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:51 am

Tarekith wrote:How so?

Was that directed at me?

I mean, in the video it shows someone sampling from a turntable directly to live using the controller. Was all that setup via Push (the inputs etc etc) and can you route internal signals (resampling) to the sampler from the Push controller (like you can with Maschine)?

panten

Post by panten » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 pm

I'd love to know this also.. Push 2 looks really great but if you can't sample/re-sample using Push without going to mouse it's a bit of a missed trick (again).

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:17 pm

No, you can't control routing or resampling per se, though if you had a track already pre-routed to another, you could always trigger record on the second track from Push.
Tarekith

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Hmmm, that's a shame (and a slightly misleading video)...

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Just one question:
Can you map controls when NOT in user mode?