Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theswiftone

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by theswiftone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:23 pm

So what happened to Akai's involvement?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:32 pm

No idea. I think Ableton just wanted to have full control over the product from design to quality control, but that's just speculation.

The one thing I heard over and over all weekend was that Ableton considers Push an instrument first and foremost, it's not meant to be a full on general purpose DAW controller. They want it to be easy to use of course, but they also want it to be something that people can practice for years and develop skill to truly master, just like an acoustic instrument. Heck, some of the guys from Team Supreme like Djembe Djembe are amazing in how they can treat it like that already.

Gerhard said Ableton's concept is they want to make only one piece of software, and only one piece of hardware, and that they will support those for years and years to foster a new way of playing electronic music.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:43 pm

nemoy wrote:Just one question:
Can you map controls when NOT in user mode?
No, although all the previous mappings have been completely reworked to be more intuitive. It's a lot easier to dive into racks and pages in devices now, and it makes more sense how things are grouped too.

Transienta

Post by Transienta » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:47 pm

I see high resolution encoders mentioned. Any details about those? More than 128 steps?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:27 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
So from my reading the new filters come to Sampler too (good) but warping doesn't?!

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! :x

And I see they continue to shove M4L down our throats :roll:

I guess that means no new native devices to Live ever again :(
And why exactly would you want new devices if they keep improving the existing ones?

I'd much rather have tweaks, sound quality improvements and new features for the existing devices. Than a brand new and redundant new synth that causes my old ones to collect dust.

I really like that approach compared to most other DAWs. It limits bloat and keeps Live streamlined.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Tarekith wrote:
nemoy wrote:Just one question:
Can you map controls when NOT in user mode?
No, although all the previous mappings have been completely reworked to be more intuitive. It's a lot easier to dive into racks and pages in devices now, and it makes more sense how things are grouped too.
Are the native devices only partially mapped again? As in, only half the controls available, inexplicably, from Push?

I also see plugins can be loaded, but only presets of any plugin if it's in AU format. Arrrggghhh. Probably some VSt limitation at present?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:42 pm

BoddAH wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
So from my reading the new filters come to Sampler too (good) but warping doesn't?!

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! :x

And I see they continue to shove M4L down our throats :roll:

I guess that means no new native devices to Live ever again :(
And why exactly would you want new devices if they keep improving the existing ones?

I'd much rather have tweaks, sound quality improvements and new features for the existing devices. Than a brand new and redundant new synth that causes my old ones to collect dust.

I really like that approach compared to most other DAWs. It limits bloat and keeps Live streamlined.
Did you miss that they just released 3 new instruments for M4L?

I'm all for enhancing the "old" instruments, god know Sampler could really use it, but as long as they already spend time on making new instruments (or LFOs :x ), they should be available as native devices and not in buggy CPU hog M4L.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 pm

True, if anything, they should spend more time and effort improving the old devices.

But to be fair, most new M4L devices are just based on community made stuff that's been reskinned and blessed by Ableton. It's a lot less work. :lol:

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Where can you see if it's in stock or not?

I'm thinking of trading in my Push Mk1 but I'm undecided right now. It says in the Ableton store "products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days" but I can't see anywhere any indication of whether they are in stock or not...

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:Where can you see if it's in stock or not?

I'm thinking of trading in my Push Mk1 but I'm undecided right now. It says in the Ableton store "products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days" but I can't see anywhere any indication of whether they are in stock or not...
That's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. That whole "we just want your money then it's not our problem anymore when it will actually be ready to be shipped to you" doesn't really fly in my book. :lol:

If it actually IS in stock and can be shipped immediately, it should be clearly indicated.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:07 pm

you want to take €200 in vouchers for your old Push 1?

I suspect that even in the current buyers market you can do better than that.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Well, I'm a first worlder with a disposable income and quite like the idea of doing something "for the kids". :D

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:

you want to take €200 in vouchers for your old Push 1?

I suspect that even in the current buyers market you can do better than that.
Honestly, you can probably go up to 250 if you're lucky but probably no more than that. IMHO it's simply not worth putting up with eBay, bitchy buyers, PayPal fees, eBay fees, etc.

Plus it's for a good cause just giving it to Ableton.

I think I'll just do that.

Plus it's nice if Push floods the market and the user base basically doubles. It slowly establishes itself as a real instrument with a large following which benefits everybody in the end.

kronk

Post by kronk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:44 pm

BoddAH wrote:

That's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. That whole "we just want your money then it's not our problem anymore when it will actually be ready to be shipped to you" doesn't really fly in my book. :lol:

If it actually IS in stock and can be shipped immediately, it should be clearly indicated.
@puzzlefactory, @BoddAH

Right now, Push 2 is in stock. If it's not, there will be a clear 'pre-order' message on the shop page and in cart. The message about 'products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days' is only an estimate for the actual shipping time, once dispatched.

kronk