Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 pm

BoddAH wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
puzzlefactory wrote:Where can you see if it's in stock or not?

I'm thinking of trading in my Push Mk1 but I'm undecided right now. It says in the Ableton store "products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days" but I can't see anywhere any indication of whether they are in stock or not...
you want to take €200 in vouchers for your old Push 1?

I suspect that even in the current buyers market you can do better than that.
Honestly, you can probably go up to 250 if you're lucky but probably no more than that. IMHO it's simply not worth putting up with eBay, bitchy buyers, PayPal fees, eBay fees, etc.
you should do it over e-bay listings or craiglist, then you have no pay pal hassles or any fees. Also has the advantage that the buyer can see the device in person before money changes hands.
That's how I sell and buy all my used music gear.
And I doubt the price will fall much below 350€ any time soon.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:50 pm

kronk wrote:
BoddAH wrote:
puzzlefactory wrote:Where can you see if it's in stock or not?

I'm thinking of trading in my Push Mk1 but I'm undecided right now. It says in the Ableton store "products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days" but I can't see anywhere any indication of whether they are in stock or not...
That's the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. That whole "we just want your money then it's not our problem anymore when it will actually be ready to be shipped to you" doesn't really fly in my book. :lol:

If it actually IS in stock and can be shipped immediately, it should be clearly indicated.
@puzzlefactory, @BoddAH

Right now, Push 2 is in stock. If it's not, there will be a clear 'pre-order' message on the shop page and in cart. The message about 'products in stock usually delivered in 2-6 working days' is only an estimate for the actual shipping time, once dispatched.

kronk
Thank you for this information. I just placed my order. ;)

thekillingtree

Post by thekillingtree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:51 pm

i see some stores in the uk have them in stock, but i can't really see any in the US.

i would love to go get one right now, haha. come on nyc!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
you should do it over e-bay listings or craiglist, then you have no pay pal hassles or any fees. Also has the advantage that the buyer can see the device in person before money changes hands.
That's how I sell and buy all my used music gear.
And I doubt the price will fall much below 350€ any time soon.
It was already going for less than that in northern Europe, already before this announcement. Local supply and demand will affect prices I'm sure. Of the people I know very few ever contemplated getting rid of the Push. If that's typical I'm sure that kept the price up.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Treshell

Post by Treshell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:56 pm

How securely packaged does the Push need to be when sent for trade-in?

I haven't returned/sent anything in ages.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 pm

From what i read, they provide you with the packaging to send it back in.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Well the going rate here in Berlin was 350 to 400, but yeah I guess with Thomann now selling theirs for 399€ it's gonna be a blood bath.

It's starting to feel like being on the wrong side of the stock market all over again :(

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Treshell wrote:How securely packaged does the Push need to be when sent for trade-in?

I haven't returned/sent anything in ages.
I'd assume you're simply responsible for the condition your Push arrives in, though there could be some package insurance that apply, which if so would have their rules of proper packaging. If Ableton handles what parcel service to use, maybe they have published these details?
Make some music!

Treshell

Post by Treshell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:04 pm

spagbol wrote:From what i read, they provide you with the packaging to send it back in.
Found the link: https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... -in-works/
Please double-box the Push 1 unit securely to avoid any damage incurred during transit.
But do you have to double-box it yourself, or does DHL/whoever do that?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm

but they also want it to be something that people can practice for years and develop skill to truly master, just like an acoustic instrument
But we are yet to see the people who acquired the skill to play Push like acoustic instrument players even in official video... We just watched bunch of videos in which someone just play half-baked riff and loop with his arm and body shaking awkwardly.

I don't think midi controller can be better instrument than real instrument but at least Linnstrument have been functioning like real instruments since 2011...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqT25dlf1OQ

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:25 pm

I've seen some pretty dope stuff on YouTube. Not comparing to piano or violin virtuosos because those have probably been playing for 20+ years since they're 4 years old but still pretty technical and impressive.

Besides, despite being marketed as an instrument (and rightly so IMHO), Push isn't about being able to play the third movement of a piano concerto or a speed metal solo. It's about making entire songs and having the power of most of Ableton Live at your fingertips. Surely you can see how that sheer scope and flexibiliy requires some minor tradeoffs when it comes to the pure technicality of a musician playing what is basically just one single preset on one single device on a dedicated instrument his whole life.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:52 pm

I saw MANY people playing Push 1 this weekend in ways that blew me away, clearly there's lot of people who have been busy treating this like the instrument it is and they have been practicing. A lot of them were skilled classically trained musicians too, which I thought was interesting. It kind of drove home one of my favorite quotes of the weekend from Young Guru: "If you can't make incredible music with these tools, it's not the tools, it's you." (paraphrased)

Meaning people just haven't put in the practice and time that other people have, so don't blame the tools.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:57 pm

we heard like that thing even in Beat Thang marketing... It's not that I'm not trusting your story. It's just that there aren't (I haven't watched) any official video like that.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 pm

https://www.ableton.com/en/push/tech-specs/

"Touchstrip

17cm touch strip for pitch bend/scrolling

31 LEDs for navigation
"

I really hope modwheel functionality is not omitted once again. I want to pull the trigger asap, but a few niggles bother me. This and only AU format preset browsing, not VST.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:of my favorite quotes of the weekend from Young Guru: "If you can't make incredible music with these tools, it's not the tools, it's you." (paraphrased)
Meaning people just haven't put in the practice and time that other people have, so don't blame the tools.
Hmm, that's a bit of a weird thing to say. Not all tools suit all people or all musical styles. Some people are much better suited to certain instruments. The reality is that each of us have certain mental and physical attributes which are suited to specific outlets. There's no one-size fits all.

Personally I know that my manual dexterity and speed of physical pattern recognition have never suited me to being a lightening fast guitarist, and this inability limits my ability at finger drumming also. It's the same issue, my timing chip got smashed in the 90s. I've been playing guitar for years but I'm always going to be more of a Ron Asheton or Tony Iommi than I am a Paco Peña or Yngwie Malmsteen .

It would be disingenuous to say "Don't blame the tools" and implying that "Anyone can get good results with this specific device" because each instrument suits certain music and certain musicians.

I mean - how good exactly is Push 2 at producing Surf Punk. That's what I'm saying.

Can this fish climb a tree?