multiple midi editing and inline editing

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Adrian Myers

Re: multiple midi editing and inline editing

Post by Adrian Myers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Agreed for multi-clip editing or at least viewing!

rillzheng

Post by rillzheng » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:12 am

+1 Inline editing!!!come on ableton~

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:45 am

Viewing multiple clips simultaneously is my most wanted feature for Live 10. I'd upgrade even if that was the only new feature. This topic is from 2008, but let's hope Bitwig has encouraged Ableton to get things right.

Remember to vote for this feature at Ableton's Centercode site (Centercode registration required): https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 6EEAB3263A

Here's a mockup made by alb13 in another topic ( viewtopic.php?p=1564272#p1564272 )

Last edited by Idonotlikebroccoli on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Funmichi

Post by Funmichi » Fri May 15, 2015 10:18 am

vote for it! :)

But also a shadow mode, whit which the notes are just visible In the background.

If this feature is available I would buy Ableton for SURE!

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun May 24, 2015 6:21 pm

^ Good point. Sometimes, just a visual indication would be nice.

I have a couple of further ideas:

1. Copying MIDI to selected clips
I imagine selecting for example MIDI clips 1-3, entering clip 4, selecting some MIDI, and having a command for copying it to the selected clips.

2. Selecting multiple automation parameters + batch operations
There could be a checkbox list for parameters as well as visible clips. You could view multiple parameters simultaneously, make a one bar selection, and get a dialogue box for making an x% downwards ramp in the selected area, for all selected automation parameters.

3. Shorter clips confine visually to the longest one
This would be kind of like linked automation.

If you have a 1 bar clip and an 8 bar clip selected, the notes in the 1 bar clip could visually repeat over 8 bars. The actual clip would remain 1 bar, and if variations are drawn at a higher bar number, the clip would automatically become 8 bars long (or extend to the bar where the edit was done). Layered editing would maybe look weird without this feature, and multiple playheads looping at different lengths would probably be a bit confusing, and hard on the eyes.

4. Selecting or drawing affect all active clips
Clips in layered view could have 3 possible states:
- Invisible
- Shadow Mode: visible (greyscale), but not editable
- Active: visible (colourised) -and- editable

Instead of a visibility checkbox, maybe a horizontal set of radio buttons would make sense for this.

When in active mode, if several clips share notes, selecting the one that's visible will select the underlying ones too. If draw tool is used, all three clips get that note drawn into them.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue May 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Gah. I'm working on some music, and realised I need to transpose one of the songs. Would have taken me literally one second with layered MIDI editing, but in Live, I need to enter every individual clip.

Dhji

Post by Dhji » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:50 pm

+1 YES!!!!

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:12 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Gah. I'm working on some music, and realised I need to transpose one of the songs. Would have taken me literally one second with layered MIDI editing, but in Live, I need to enter every individual clip.
Same situation now.

Sophisticated Audio to MIDI functionality? You got it! Transposing MIDI clips? Sorry, mate.

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Gah. I'm working on some music, and realised I need to transpose one of the songs. Would have taken me literally one second with layered MIDI editing, but in Live, I need to enter every individual clip.
Yep I want this feature, verrry much.

As a work around, you can pull a transpose midi plugin to the relevant tracks and use its transpose function. Its not ideal but is a lot quicker than going into each clip.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 pm

^ Yeah, that could be an acceptable solution for global transpose, along with a MIDI controller. Even then though, problems arise when I only want to transpose -some- tracks or clips, which is pretty much always the case.

owlmerlyn

Post by owlmerlyn » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:^ Yeah, that could be an acceptable solution for global transpose, along with a MIDI controller. Even then though, problems arise when I only want to transpose -some- tracks or clips, which is pretty much always the case.
Ja, it works if you need to transpose a whole song to a different key. But doesn't work if you have sections and clips you need transpose whilst leaving the rest alone

fedx

Post by fedx » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:36 am

yes +1 on that, pro tools has this feature i think.
in fact there's a whole bunch of stuff from PT and Cubase both ableton and reason could greatly benefit from and frankly , given the version numbers, its about time they had them.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:42 am

^ Yeah, I was surprised to discover that Reason doesn't have it either, although it does have a transpose dialogue.

I'd be happy with something as simple as that for arrangement view, since it's easy to select specific parts of clips there.
For session view however, I would still very much like layered editing, since I often need to change just one or two bars of a chord progression.

sardaukar

Post by sardaukar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 pm

+1

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:14 pm

So nothing in 9.5, but will it be part of v10? The crowd holds its breath, and remembers to register at Centercode to vote: https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 6EEAB3263A