Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:16 pm

tedlogan wrote:https://www.ableton.com/en/push/tech-specs/

"Touchstrip

17cm touch strip for pitch bend/scrolling

31 LEDs for navigation
"

I really hope modwheel functionality is not omitted once again. I want to pull the trigger asap, but a few niggles bother me. This and only AU format preset browsing, not VST.
I think if I'm remembering correctly that's one of those things that AU out the door was better at. It's entirely possible that within the next 50 years when DAWs finally adopt VST3 this is what fixes Ableton not offering the more popular VST format preset browsing. :|

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Tarekith wrote:I saw MANY people playing Push 1 this weekend in ways that blew me away, clearly there's lot of people who have been busy treating this like the instrument it is and they have been practicing. A lot of them were skilled classically trained musicians too, which I thought was interesting. It kind of drove home one of my favorite quotes of the weekend from Young Guru: "If you can't make incredible music with these tools, it's not the tools, it's you." (paraphrased)

Meaning people just haven't put in the practice and time that other people have, so don't blame the tools.
This. The Push 1 trade-in is a great initiative as well. It will probably double the overall number of people using Push right now and will familiarise many young producers and music students with Push, fostering new talent and slowly establishing Push as a real instrument.

I think pencilrocket perfectly illustrates the main problem Push probably still faces right now:

Legitimacy.

To many people, Push seems like a cool concept that looks promising and might work but it takes a community of dedicated, talented and above anything else public musicians to show of what a truly dedicated "Push musician" can actually do and what you can actually achieve if you have mastery of Push.

Until then, many people will keep seeing Push as no more a funny MIDI controler with lots of pads and buttons and and interesting specifications. It deserves more than that.

SuslovNikolay

Post by SuslovNikolay » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Does the new Push 2 support aftertouch as previous Push 1? In tech-spec there is no information on pressure sensitivity of the pads https://www.ableton.com/en/push/tech-specs/

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Wondering if anyone has any advice. I ordered push 2 this morning going down the trade in route but have managed to sell push for more this morning (only put up for sale last night). Anyone else in same boat? Not had any luck getting through to support and don't really want to have to cancel and re order. Just want to pay up the difference!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 pm

J0n35y wrote:Wondering if anyone has any advice. I ordered push 2 this morning going down the trade in route but have managed to sell push for more this morning (only put up for sale last night). Anyone else in same boat? Not had any luck getting through to support and don't really want to have to cancel and re order. Just want to pay up the difference!
I think you just get invoiced for the trade-in rebate you received if you don't send your Push 1 back within 14 days.

No biggie.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:32 pm

BoddAH wrote:
J0n35y wrote:Wondering if anyone has any advice. I ordered push 2 this morning going down the trade in route but have managed to sell push for more this morning (only put up for sale last night). Anyone else in same boat? Not had any luck getting through to support and don't really want to have to cancel and re order. Just want to pay up the difference!
I think you just get invoiced for the trade-in rebate you received if you don't send your Push 1 back within 14 days.

No biggie.
Cool. Hopefully as easy as that!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 pm

While messing around trying to get my card to work with Ableton's site...it just went out of stock. Argh.

thekillingtree

Post by thekillingtree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:While messing around trying to get my card to work with Ableton's site...it just went out of stock. Argh.
it said it's out of stock? that's brutal. i feel like they could make it just a little bit more clear on their site when things are in/out of stock.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Very positive review from createdigital...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/11/a ... s-on-test/

Lowfront

Post by Lowfront » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Push 2 needs to be plugged into AC power or its too dim.

That stinks.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:17 pm

thekillingtree wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:While messing around trying to get my card to work with Ableton's site...it just went out of stock. Argh.
it said it's out of stock? that's brutal. i feel like they could make it just a little bit more clear on their site when things are in/out of stock.
Yeah! It was in-stock for a little while for sure, and I kinda knew it would be out of stock quickly since retailers don't have it yet (I called Guitar Center and they said they wouldn't have it for at least a month).

I had it in my cart for an hour while I tried various ways to buy it, and then all of a sudden after a page refresh I got a message saying it had been removed from my cart because it was now out of stock.

I guess because Ableton is German, my US credit card was giving me all kinds of grief so unfortunately I couldn't buy it in time.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Tarekith wrote:of my favorite quotes of the weekend from Young Guru: "If you can't make incredible music with these tools, it's not the tools, it's you." (paraphrased)
Meaning people just haven't put in the practice and time that other people have, so don't blame the tools.
Hmm, that's a bit of a weird thing to say. Not all tools suit all people or all musical styles. Some people are much better suited to certain instruments. The reality is that each of us have certain mental and physical attributes which are suited to specific outlets. There's no one-size fits all.

Personally I know that my manual dexterity and speed of physical pattern recognition have never suited me to being a lightening fast guitarist, and this inability limits my ability at finger drumming also. It's the same issue, my timing chip got smashed in the 90s. I've been playing guitar for years but I'm always going to be more of a Ron Asheton or Tony Iommi than I am a Paco Peña or Yngwie Malmsteen .

It would be disingenuous to say "Don't blame the tools" and implying that "Anyone can get good results with this specific device" because each instrument suits certain music and certain musicians.

I mean - how good exactly is Push 2 at producing Surf Punk. That's what I'm saying.

Can this fish climb a tree?
I think you missed my point. It's not meant to be one size fits all instrument for all uses. But if you're commited to getting one and want to treat it as an instrument, it's going to take time to master, just like an acoustic instrument. It's like buying a guitar, trying for a couple months to learn it, and then slagging off the guitar because you're as good as Hendrix by that point.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Yeah! It was in-stock for a little while for sure, and I kinda knew it would be out of stock quickly since retailers don't have it yet (I called Guitar Center and they said they wouldn't have it for at least a month).
I'd look around at other places, it's supposed to be in stores today, not just on the Ableton site. I don't know which retailers got the first few batches though.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm

After my inner ghost screaming bloody murder, I sprung for Push 2. I really think this is a win-win situation for me. My Push 1 was a great learning tool during the 2 years I had it, and I had great fun with the scales/chords on the 8x8 matrix. I can really play Cxardas by Monty fast on it.... :)

Plus the schools get my Push 1 as well (I was going to will it to SB City Schools, but this is even better - Ableton schools get a Push 1 now, and SB eventually gets the Push 2.

Hats Off, Abletion, good show: Now if you guys can only implement scales on the Launchpad Pro and Session Overview for the APC Key 25.

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Anyone know of any NY stores with stock atm?