Live 9.5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Live 9.5

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:57 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
stereospread wrote:We are
we? who are you?
Hey he's probably a Mac user 8O
Quick you should badmouth him as a Fanboy, or whatever that broken record is you always play :roll:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:18 pm

oh man i can't wait to get home and update

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:37 pm

fredkraut wrote:i can´t find the new drum kits. anybody?
go to packs/core library and there are a bunch of new kits

new simpler is the shit also

I haven't been this excited since live went to v 9 from 8

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Tarekith wrote:Link just provides timing info, it's not for audio data. Basically anyone can join in a session, and they are atuomatically synced and clips will launch on the same "1" downbeat for everyone. In addition, anyone can change the tempo and everyone follows, and you can leave or join a session at any time without interupting everyone else's timing.
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:58 pm

First of all, i really like the update a lot.
Even with Push 1 browsing now is much nicer and i hope storing scales will also work with one.
I like the new Filters a lot for instance but one thing i'm not quite sure of.
So much people wanted it, so probably there is something i don't see but why
is it such a cool thing to warp and transpose samples in simpler.
What is the advantage over doing it in an audio clip?

Cheers
Maze

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Very briefly checked some new features out, really nice.

A few things:

Autofilter - really needs an output parameter. The drive function makes it much much louder, which always sounds better to our ears even though the new tone might actually be worse. I need to compensate the volume as I turn up the Drive, just like I would with Saturator, without using a Utility etc, to properly compare the change.
- you cannot change the filter type from Push 1.
-but man, it sounds so lovely! Some Zebra loops through it... a tear to the eye.
Oh well, a quick slapping together of a Utility + Autofilter rack fixes this nicely - I can choose the circuit now as well as one macro knob turning the gain down as I turn the drive up, keeping the volume consistent.

I like that you can now browse VSTs (though for some reason not their presets in the VST format - hope this gets fixed), and store a default configured parameter state. A great start - but you still cannot rename any parameters nor banks for Push.
Last edited by tedlogan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:30 pm

pencilrocket wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:
Yes! Patiently waiting 10 years now. ;) Remember to register at Ableton's Centercode site and vote! (separate Centercode account needs to be created) https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 6EEAB3263A
Sry, smoother waveform won the competition 8)
And let's also hold on to the pitch bend bug a little longer while we're at it. Instruments unexpectedly out of tune has its charm.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: And let's also hold on to the pitch bend bug a little longer while we're at it. Instruments unexpectedly out of tune has its charm.
That'll be a coveted "vintage" sound soon enough! If Ableton were to fix it, "pitch bend bug emulators" would start popping up left and right. :lol:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote: Same here, although random mode has its weaknesses too, like when the new clip gets coloured almost the same as the previous one. It would be nice if each new clip would get a different shade of the track colour. Also, I would like a more limited palette, with pastel colours - would look much better than the current oversaturated ones.
Agreed, here. Pastels, all the way, and I think it would be fair enough if the different shades kind of cycled, so that the first clip you record got the track's colour, and then the X next ones got various shades of that colour, until the palette for that colour was exhausted, and the cycle started again.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
joeyfivecents wrote:And where are these new drum sounds and what are they called? I'm not sure why everything has to be so cryptic with this company. Is it just laziness or are they really trying hard to be like Apple? Lame.

What's with you? It's all on the web site! Maybe not in the form you'd like? Now, don't get me started on pack updates.
It's not all on the website. If I'm wrong, tell me where to find it. Where is this glorious section of the website where Ableton informs us of exactly what content is new and where to find it exactly? Please school me. There's nothing with me; I'm a huge Ableton fan-look at my info, I've been faithful for quite awhile. You have to admit, it's not exactly easy to get info from them. But if history is any indication, I will calm down, spend a little more quality time with 9.5, and somehow end up with a Push 2. Speaking of financing a Push 2, who wants to buy a practically brand-new Octatrack for $1000? :wink:
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:56 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
joeyfivecents wrote:And where are these new drum sounds and what are they called? I'm not sure why everything has to be so cryptic with this company. Is it just laziness or are they really trying hard to be like Apple? Lame.

What's with you? It's all on the web site! Maybe not in the form you'd like? Now, don't get me started on pack updates.
It's not all on the website. If I'm wrong, tell me where to find it. Where is this glorious section of the website where Ableton informs us of exactly what content is new and where to find it exactly? Please school me. There's nothing with me; I'm a huge Ableton fan-look at my info, I've been faithful for quite awhile. You have to admit, it's not exactly easy to get info from them. But if history is any indication, I will calm down, spend a little more quality time with 9.5, and somehow end up with a Push 2. Speaking of financing a Push 2, who wants to buy a practically brand-new Octatrack for $1000? :wink:
I might give you 30% on a Push 2 for it :P

And I promise I won't donate it to any schools :twisted:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Hmm... So Auto Filter loads in "legacy mode" out of the box. When you click "upgrade", it changes into the new version, and the "Clean" filter type is described as matching the filter found in EQ8. But is "Clean" also the same filter as in the old Auto filter? Just curious because Operator does not load in a "legacy" mode with an "upgrade" button, so I'd just like to know if these units will produce the same sound as they used to if set to "clean".

Side note: I guess one can get Auto Filter to load with the new filters directly by clicking "upgrade" and saving as default preset.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 pm

sporkles wrote:Hmm... So Auto Filter loads in "legacy mode" out of the box. When you click "upgrade", it changes into the new version, and the "Clean" filter type is described as matching the filter found in EQ8. But is "Clean" also the same filter as in the old Auto filter? Just curious because Operator does not load in a "legacy" mode with an "upgrade" button, so I'd just like to know if these units will produce the same sound as they used to if set to "clean".

Side note: I guess one can get Auto Filter to load with the new filters directly by clicking "upgrade" and saving as default preset.
I don't know where you're seeing all of this. Auto Filter loaded with the new features when I first loaded 9.5.

EDIT: It happens when you load a pre-9.5 set with Auto Filter loaded.
Unsound Designer

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 pm

I dont like the slicing. The detection algorithm seems to be the same or worse lol. Defaults to 100% and still seemingly misses out a lot of hits on material i have thrown at hit. And then, you gotta hit the keyboard to auditon. Would like to see a click to audition. Also, doesnt seem to offer any dialog for slicing options when slicing to midi from simpler. Oh and whats with Sampler being left out of all the warping fun. Also, don't switch back to simpler, unless you want the dreaded Multisample mode message. dead end.
Just makes me wanna use recycle even more than it did before. meh.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Mazi92

Post by Mazi92 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:15 pm

Anyone tell me about those new sound? where are they, only in the core library or do I need to update all the packs to?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:30 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.
Because electronic musicians can't co-operate? Just because you need to be drunk to jam doesn't mean everyone else won't see this as a very useful production tool.
Make some music!