new Simpler is AMAZING!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stuartm

Re: new Simpler is AMAZING!!!!

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 am

Well, not long ago I also complained about that we need timestretch/warping for simpler.
And now here it is - A big thank you to the developers!

Basically, this allows now to have audio loops and MIDI within the same track,
which is basically the key step for me when creating a large live performance set.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:46 am

ccs wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
ambientidm wrote:Wow, I am so impressed with Ableton finally implementing warp modes into simpler. I have been asking of this for years and it's better than I hoped for. All of my tens of thousands of samples and loops have completely new life and potential in them. Dynamically changing loop lengths and starts while playing the sample yet keeping the tempo locked is a wildly creative journey. Thank you Ableton!!!!
How are you dynamically changing the loop length/start? I couldn't get them assigned to macros :?
Hi, just dont expand up the simpler. Its a bug. It can be maped to Macros if its not expanded.
Thank you very much 8)

I was starting to think Ableton was pulling a stunt like NI, where certains feature in Traktor are only usable with their own controllers

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 am

dredd i knight wrote:I haven't updated yet, but I'm really looking forward to this!

It's funny, i was in a thread a couple of months ago, where someone was saying where could live go from here. My wish was sample chopping from the controller, like maschine can do, and warping in sampler. Got told that live was one big sampler anyway, and that that type of sampling sounded like doodoo... Feeling hella smug right now! :mrgreen:
Well, we still don't have warping in Sampler ;-)

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:25 am

TomViolenz wrote:
dredd i knight wrote:I haven't updated yet, but I'm really looking forward to this!

It's funny, i was in a thread a couple of months ago, where someone was saying where could live go from here. My wish was sample chopping from the controller, like maschine can do, and warping in sampler. Got told that live was one big sampler anyway, and that that type of sampling sounded like doodoo... Feeling hella smug right now! :mrgreen:
Well, we still don't have warping in Sampler ;-)
True! :)
But I'll take this happily and quietly hope for more....
Logically, it makes sense for sampler to be brought up to Simplers functionality eventually.... Obviously that might not be the way Abes see it ;)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 am

I suppose they focused on updating Simpler first so that people who only own Live Standard can also enjoy this powerful device with Push 2. Sampler is Suite only.

Either way, I've got more than enough options to keep me busy for a long time with the new Simpler.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:48 am

tedlogan wrote:I suppose they focused on updating Simpler first so that people who only own Live Standard can also enjoy this powerful device with Push 2. Sampler is Suite only.
Exactly. This is a huge new workflow for Live in general, don't limit it only to those who have the Suite.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 am

Tarekith wrote:
tedlogan wrote:I suppose they focused on updating Simpler first so that people who only own Live Standard can also enjoy this powerful device with Push 2. Sampler is Suite only.
Exactly. This is a huge new workflow for Live in general, don't limit it only to those who have the Suite.
All well and good, and if by the next point update they catch up with Sampler, I'll gladly shut up and even join in on the cheering. But I'm afraid they have this effort now out of the way to the bare minimum the market requires and for everything else we have to wait.........and wait, and wait.

Remind me when was the last update to Sampler again?
Exactly! :x
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 am

The filter it now has are from Cytomic The Drop fantastic filters.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 am

XSIMan wrote:The filter it now has are from Cytomic The Drop fantastic filters.
Ok good point, but I feel warping would have been just as much a drop in replacement. Which incedentely is the number one requested feature in Sampler.

I can wait for the updated GUI, but warping should have been here, NOW!

granted

Post by granted » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:14 pm

No Reverse :cry:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 pm

granted wrote:No Reverse :cry:
Yes, right-click.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43 pm

granted wrote:No Reverse :cry:
Right click on the sample window.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:45 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
XSIMan wrote:The filter it now has are from Cytomic The Drop fantastic filters.
Ok good point, but I feel warping would have been just as much a drop in replacement. Which incedentely is the number one requested feature in Sampler.

I can wait for the updated GUI, but warping should have been here, NOW!
Out of genuine curiosity, why do you feel Sampler would benefit from having the warping functionality as well? I've always felt like Sampler was for the really advanced multisampling type jobs. Seems like warping in that scenario is unnecessary.

To be honest, I never use Sampler and I don't even know that much about it.

Simpler I only ever used in drum racks just as someone else stated, and I'll probably mess around with some of the beat chopping capabilities for a bit, but will most likely grow bored with it.

wascal

Post by wascal » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Some people are never happy eh?

Now that simpler can use a fixed warp grid IMO it shouldn't be too tricky for the Abes to implement Octatrack-style recording in to a fixed length buffer and then being able to reorder and mangle it instantly? Thats pretty much the only thing I've missed since ditching my Elektrons and it actually looks feasable now :)
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm

yeah, i was playing around with it yesterday. very enjoyable. kind of makes me wish i hadn't bothered buying sampler now :x