Push 2 coming soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shift Gorden

Re: Push 2 coming soon?

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:27 pm

deva wrote:
Tarekith wrote:
Lowfront wrote:
I heard its possible to use with just USB but its extremely dim..
This. Way to dark to use outside just on USB I'm afraid.
but at least it works... I could play notes

btw, my Push 1 is all f'ed up with 9.5... Am I supposed to update Push?
Hmmm, mine seems to be working okay, mate. I didn't update it.

Lowfront

Post by Lowfront » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:29 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:
Lowfront wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:Am I reading the Ableton site correctly where it says $799 for just the hardware?
just hardware yes
8O

The software is expensive. I didn't expect the hardware to include it.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Preview even on Push 1 is beyond awesome. It doesn't seem like much but it feels like a whole now device to me. Another little change I noticed is the Next Device button becoming orange instead of yellow once you reach the last device in a list. It's funny how many functions over time (note step sequencing, modulation wheel strip, resetting parameters with delete, etc.) have been added afterwards but seem so well thought-out and integrated that they feel like they've always been there.

I kinda like my current Push 1 with it's new and improved features and its old-school monochrome LCD screen. In that way it definitely feels like an instrument. I grew attached to it. Even though I ordered Push 2 I'm not even so sure if I actually need it. I'm not much into sampling and sample manipulation. :?

Lowfront

Post by Lowfront » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 pm

BoddAH wrote: I grew attached to it. Even though I ordered Push 2 I'm not even so sure if I actually need it. I'm not much into sampling and sample manipulation. :?

I feel same way. I ordered my push 2 already knowing I don't need it.

I don't mind supporting ableton though.

thekillingtree

Post by thekillingtree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 pm

just grabbed one from guitar center. seemed like they were going fast, ha.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 pm

I guess I'll get over it. Push 2 seems to compe with many smaller improvements and new features in addition to the obvious ones. And the firmware will probably also be updated over time and add who knows what awesome new features. The RGB screen certainly leaves room for that.

I have full faith in Ableton to master the software side. The only thing that slightly worries me now is the build quality. Akai were a pretty reputable manufacturer and I hope they know what they're doing with Push 2. It would be a shame if Push 2 was better than Push 1 on paper but lacking in build quality compared with the impressive design of Push 1.

It definitely needs to be better in every way. :)

Lowfront

Post by Lowfront » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Let's just hope they don't drop the price %30 in a month.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 pm

It's not called the Bleeding Edge of Technology for nothing... :)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Lowfront wrote:Let's just hope they don't drop the price %30 in a month.
Only reason that could happen is if it somehow sucks and flops both critically and commercially and they're sitting on unsold stock.

I would be pretty pissed if I gave away my precious Push 1 for that. :x

thekillingtree

Post by thekillingtree » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 pm

i just feel like the reviewer that said 'if you don't want to NEED a push 2, don't try 1' was 100% correct. it definitely feels different, but i think that you wouldn't even know what you were missing until you used the push 2, tbh (aside from the sample waveform manipulation).

that being said, honeymoon phase and all, this thing is definitely an improvement.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 am

mekanism1200 wrote:Am I reading the Ableton site correctly where it says $799 for just the hardware?
In the interest of accuracy, Push is $799 including Live Intro. So you can get started making music without buying any additional software.
You can also save on the price by purchasing an upgrade from Live Intro to Live Standard or Suite.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:24 am

puzzlefactory wrote:Hmmm, that's a shame (and a slightly misleading video)...
Yeah, you can't setup input routing from Push, however if you have routing already configured in a template, you can absolutely arm a track, record an audio clip, then use the convert button to load that clip into a new Simpler.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 am

BoddAH wrote:I guess I'll get over it. Push 2 seems to compe with many smaller improvements and new features in addition to the obvious ones. And the firmware will probably also be updated over time and add who knows what awesome new features. The RGB screen certainly leaves room for that.

I have full faith in Ableton to master the software side. The only thing that slightly worries me now is the build quality. Akai were a pretty reputable manufacturer and I hope they know what they're doing with Push 2. It would be a shame if Push 2 was better than Push 1 on paper but lacking in build quality compared with the impressive design of Push 1.

You will have no regrets there, Push 2 is MUCH better feeling than Push 1 IMVHO, and that's saying something given how nice Push 1 was. The pads alone are a major upgrade, then you add in better buttons, brighter labels, consistant colors and pad sensitivity, an aluminum top plate, etc.

Oh yeah, and the USB cable has an Ableton logo on it now too, which makes it easily worth the higher price.

j/k
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:19 am

Tarekith wrote:
BoddAH wrote:I guess I'll get over it. Push 2 seems to compe with many smaller improvements and new features in addition to the obvious ones. And the firmware will probably also be updated over time and add who knows what awesome new features. The RGB screen certainly leaves room for that.

You will have no regrets there, Push 2 is MUCH better feeling than Push 1 IMVHO, and that's saying something given how nice Push 1 was.
That's saying something indeed. I'm sure whatever Ableton would have come up with wouldn't have been shoddy in objective terms but Push 1 placed the bar pretty high.

In any case that's really good to hear. :D

estolad

Post by estolad » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Is there a screenshot or video how the Push 2 display looks without a powercord connected? I read it's pretty dim, but is it in any way readable?