So now that Simpler is on steroids, any reason to use audio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexfsu

So now that Simpler is on steroids, any reason to use audio?

Post by alexfsu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Aside from track delay, I can't think of any reasons to use audio clips anymore. Warping long audio samples that need warp markers...what else am I missing?

thecld

Re: So now that Simpler is on steroids, any reason to use audio?

Post by thecld » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 pm

Much more advanced transpose, vol, pan, etc. envelopes. Ability to easily chop audio clips and shuffle, transpose, reverse, etc. those chops in arrangement view. 8)

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48 pm

thecld wrote:Much more advanced transpose, vol, pan, etc. envelopes. Ability to easily chop audio clips and shuffle, transpose, reverse, etc. those chops in arrangement view. 8)
Yes chopping and reversing is still great in audio, that's what I forgot. But what is more advanced about the volume, pan and pitch controls in audio that you can't do in MIDI?

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 am

Was thinking about this too...

It seems there are audio clip settings available on the new Push... which is just awesome...

See these videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_3Hyr ... jv3vazRl4X_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQeQgK ... jv3vazRl4X_

just awesome

I imagine all this is only going to get better over time and we'll quickly see additions like Sampler with further updates...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:20 am

The new Push looks very very nice in these vids.

One thing I keep thinking about that "convert to - " where there's just the one choice at the moment (Simpler) it almost implies that one day the other slots will start to be filled. Convert to melody, convert to harmony? Slice to ... Those already exist right?
I may be guessing incorrectly though.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:29 am

Covert has more options than just Simpler, it depends on where you are at the time when you press it:

- While working with a Simpler in either Classic or One-Shot Mode (see 28.7), pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing a Drum Rack, with a copy of the Simpler on the first pad. All other devices that were in the original track will also be copied to the new track.
- While working with a Simpler in Slicing Mode, pressing Convert will replace the Simpler on the same track with a Drum Rack that contains all of the slices mapped to individual pads.
- While working with a Drum Rack, pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing all of the devices that were on the selected pad.
- While working with an audio clip, pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing a Simpler loaded with the clip’s sample. Warp markers and related settings will be preserved in the new Simpler.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

thecld

Post by thecld » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:03 am

alexfsu wrote:
thecld wrote:Much more advanced transpose, vol, pan, etc. envelopes. Ability to easily chop audio clips and shuffle, transpose, reverse, etc. those chops in arrangement view. 8)
Yes chopping and reversing is still great in audio, that's what I forgot. But what is more advanced about the volume, pan and pitch controls in audio that you can't do in MIDI?
Audio has clip envelopes and you can draw some quite complex transpose envelopes there :D . Volume & Pan is just automation so it's the same as using MIDI - you're right.

GusHage

Post by GusHage » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:29 am

Tarekith wrote:Covert has more options than just Simpler, it depends on where you are at the time when you press it:

- While working with a Simpler in either Classic or One-Shot Mode (see 28.7), pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing a Drum Rack, with a copy of the Simpler on the first pad. All other devices that were in the original track will also be copied to the new track.
- While working with a Simpler in Slicing Mode, pressing Convert will replace the Simpler on the same track with a Drum Rack that contains all of the slices mapped to individual pads.
- While working with a Drum Rack, pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing all of the devices that were on the selected pad.
- While working with an audio clip, pressing Convert will create a new MIDI track containing a Simpler loaded with the clip’s sample. Warp markers and related settings will be preserved in the new Simpler.
That sounds awesome! How did you find out?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 am

Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41 pm

thecld wrote:
alexfsu wrote:
Audio has clip envelopes and you can draw some quite complex transpose envelopes there :D . Volume & Pan is just automation so it's the same as using MIDI - you're right.
I guess the fact that there's no semitone locking for automation in MIDI is a glaring difference, but ahh I see now, you can't modulate or automate grain size, flux, etc. Hopefully Ableton makes that accessible in the future, I love that for fx and basses

thecld

Post by thecld » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:25 pm

alexfsu wrote: I guess the fact that there's no semitone locking for automation in MIDI is a glaring difference, but ahh I see now, you can't modulate or automate grain size, flux, etc. Hopefully Ableton makes that accessible in the future, I love that for fx and basses
Yeah, in audio it's locked by default, but on mac you can drag modulation points while holding cmd (ctrl or alt or shift + drag on windows, idk) to fine tune the points so it's not really locked 8) .

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:58 pm

I think chopping might be actually better in MIDI now. put Simpler in slice mode and 'Thru" setting and record quantize and watch all the different combinations of chops you can come up with, way quicker than audio. And then you can take the recorded MIDI and rearrange that, crazy shit. only thing it can't do is reversing slices (like Maschine can), hopefully in an update!

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I use Audio tracks to actually play music along with the rest of my tracks. ;)

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:21 am

I use audio tracks often because I don't have a super strong cpu , amd fx 6300

sometimes I just bounce to audio after I get them how I like

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 pm

alexfsu wrote:Aside from track delay, I can't think of any reasons to use audio clips anymore. Warping long audio samples that need warp markers...what else am I missing?
Audio would be quicker typically for basic loops. If you don't need to chop and heavily tweak/process, rearrange individual slices, you'd probably be quicker using audio.

I personally would use audio if I don't want to do much to the loop and just process it as a whole.

Even if I needed to fine tune the audio, there is still alot of stuff that could be done in just audio but it would probably involve using more tracks, automation and such and hence be more cumbersome than just chopping it to Simpler.

But on the otherhand for handling basic loops chopping to Simpler could be overkill.

It is really just workflow related in the end. Good thing Ableton allows us to utilize both methods.