Live 9.5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musikmachine

Re: Live 9.5

Post by musikmachine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Cheers, there's a lot of stuff going on so could be an errant plugin, reproduced it though but 9.2.3 is fine so i'm assuming it's bug.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.
Because electronic musicians can't co-operate? Just because you need to be drunk to jam doesn't mean everyone else won't see this as a very useful production tool.
Relax, it was a joke! I suppose you could plug in using the headphone jack from a portable device into a mixer and record into Ableton that way, not the cleanest setup, but it would work. I was just hoping for it to work where you could have a master computer and everyone else is feeding it sounds over wifi, recorded in real time and all synced. Maybe the latency is too high on wifi for this to work though.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.
Because electronic musicians can't co-operate? Just because you need to be drunk to jam doesn't mean everyone else won't see this as a very useful production tool.
Relax, it was a joke! I suppose you could plug in using the headphone jack from a portable device into a mixer and record into Ableton that way, not the cleanest setup, but it would work. I was just hoping for it to work where you could have a master computer and everyone else is feeding it sounds over wifi, recorded in real time and all synced. Maybe the latency is too high on wifi for this to work though.
Well, the first part was, but not the last I'm sure. You're welcome though and I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Didn't mean to sound harsh. My apologies for the tone.

Yes, latency will always be a problem, so maybe Link will be best for syncing sequencers rather than real-time playing. Considering Wifi sync currently works quite bad it will be interesting to see if Link and 9.5 improves this.

For now I think Audiobus or similar over cable as well as what Audinate Dante Via will offer can become quite compelling.
Make some music!

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Well, the first part was, but not the last I'm sure. You're welcome though and I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Didn't mean to sound harsh. My apologies for the tone.

Yes, latency will always be a problem, so maybe Link will be best for syncing sequencers rather than real-time playing. Considering Wifi sync currently works quite bad it will be interesting to see if Link and 9.5 improves this.

For now I think Audiobus or similar over cable as well as what Audinate Dante Via will offer can become quite compelling.
No worries. Your reply actually got me thinking about how to use Link in production and while it doesn't offer audio just jamming can be inspirational and help spark the creative process. And we cant complain, its a free feature.

Thanks for that link, looks interesting.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

XSIMan wrote:Sporkles

Great tracks and great website :)
Heh, cheers! (The website is embarrassingly out-of-date, and in need of a redesign, though :oops: )

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I keep reading that you can now access VST parameters in Live 9.5 and Push 2 - I'm confused, how is this different than before?

I know you can load the VST now which is different but what about VST plugins? You could always load them and configure to access the parameters, what's new there?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:18 pm

mercury007 wrote:I keep reading that you can now access VST parameters in Live 9.5 and Push 2 - I'm confused, how is this different than before?

I know you can load the VST now which is different but what about VST plugins? You could always load them and configure to access the parameters, what's new there?
Well, one new thing is that you can save your configured VST as a default configuration, so that your own layout (in theory) shows up on Push when you load the VST.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:30 pm

OMG - simpler is actually an instrument now !!

8O
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
sporkles wrote: Agreed, here. Pastels, all the way, and I think it would be fair enough if the different shades kind of cycled, so that the first clip you record got the track's colour, and then the X next ones got various shades of that colour, until the palette for that colour was exhausted, and the cycle started again.
Excellent suggestion. Please post it to Feature Requests.
I don't know how close Push would get to reproducing these shades closely enough, though, and I think that may be a deciding factor to Ableton. Anyway, I was thinking something like this, where I've simply gradually reduced the brightness over eight clips and the saturation over the next eight ones:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:35 am

sporkles wrote: I was thinking something like this, where I've simply gradually reduced the brightness over eight clips and the saturation over the next eight ones:

I'll vote for this. I think it's a great idea, if optional.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:37 am

ShelLuser wrote: In the mean time I tried to automate this using my RecClipColor M4l device and well, it's far from perfect but it's a start:
Good job. Thank you.
Make some music!

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:16 am

It's kinda crazy they just lost the clip color option. That's been part of Live for years. Track coloring is definately a welcome improvement, but I agree with others - bring back autoclip coloring also - it was great for seeing progression in a set. Must be someway to integrate the two.

I'd be fine with all the track coloring being referenced in the Push display and representative of what each track is... but for session view clip coloring is vital.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 am

Live "stop coloring your kick Bitwig orange noob. I disabled color option." "How do you like that? lol"

octavious

Post by octavious » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:06 am

andy_cytomic wrote: The MS1, JPR and SHR are the most expensive filters in terms of CPU, and if you look at the current version of The Drop you will notice there are no fixed and low CPU / MD versions of these filters, so it wasn't a good fit for Live. It has only been over the last month that I've come up with new methods to to make fixed and low CPU / MD versions of all the filter types. This is so new that it isn't even released in The Drop yet! If there is enough support in the Ableton community then it may be possible in the future that new filter circuit models can be added, for now you'll just have to put up with 4 of the worlds best sounding analog modelled filter algorithms ;)
Please... i beg you. Make this happen.
Sh filters are my absolute favorite.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 am

so how is the quality of the slicing ? and for you guys who don't have push 2 how are you utilizing the new slicing features?