Push 2 or Maschine mk2 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

push2 or maschine mk2

Poll ended at Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 am

push2
94%
mk2
6%

Total votes: 34

Tweaking Knobs

Push 2 or Maschine mk2 ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:43 am

I wanna buy one...

if you had to choose one.. would you say push 2 kills mashine MK2 ?

scheffkoch

Re: Push 2 or Maschine mk2 ?

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 am

...more like push 2 or maschine mk2 including 500 euro cash?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:I wanna buy one...

if you had to choose one.. would you say push 2 kills mashine MK2 ?
I have Maschine Mk1 and hardly ever use it.

It does have great drum sounds but as a sequencer, it is ok and don't have the same MPC ease of use.

Some functions like quantize are pretty clunky on it IMO. Some people love it.

I think Maschine is probably better for a sequencer like Logic who is linear. Two nonlinear sequencers can be confusing.

If you like Lives interface Push makes better sense.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:24 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...more like push 2 or maschine mk2 including 500 euro cash?...
Say what?! 8O

They are pretty much the same price :x

Re: OP this really depends on your preferences in working, I'd test drive them both to decide.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 pm

What do you want to do? I usually use Push 2 and Maschine Studio equally these days, though lately I've been leaning towards Push 2 more.

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Someone put it to me this way once, if u like working with Ableton Live, get Push. If u like working with Native Instruments, get Maschine.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:08 pm

"They are pretty much the same price"

...??? do you mean the maschine studio?...maschine mk2 is 599 incl. software, push 2 is 699 + ableton standard 349...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:57 pm

scheffkoch wrote:"They are pretty much the same price"

...??? do you mean the maschine studio?...maschine mk2 is 599 incl. software, push 2 is 699 + ableton standard 349...
Push comes with Intro, which is easily as powerful as Maschine software in standalone mode.

Besides Tweaking Knobs is here since 2006, would you not also assume he might already own Live ;-)

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:13 pm

...ha, obviously, but imo this comparison is not working...but whatever...i like my maschine for the drums (i really prefer a dedicated controller for drums instead a one-for-all-solution...my brain can't handle too many knob combinations...ha...) and now i ordered push 2 since it erased all of push 1's flaws imo...i was hoping for the color coding the day i received my push 1...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:23 pm

I’m still on Live 8 and have to admit Push 2 has peaked my interest more than Push 1 did but the price to upgrade and buy Push is a little steep for my blood right now.

As mentioned Maschine is great for working in another DAW that doesn’t have session view but it’s nowhere near as seamless as Live between session view and arrangement view but probably more versatile than Rewire slaving Live to another DAW.

Shocking the Ableton forum has a 100% Push 2 recommendation on a product most people haven't used yet. I didn't vote and am not going to just because I have Maschine Studio and not Push 2 (or 1). Some questions are probably better served on a more neutral music forum...and when a product has been out in the wild for more than a couple days for a limited amount of users.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:33 pm

you don't buy Push if your main purpose were finger drumming. What's this poll for.... :?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:33 pm

beats me wrote:I’m still on Live 8 and have to admit Push 2 has peaked my interest more than Push 1 did but the price to upgrade and buy Push is a little steep for my blood right now.

As mentioned Maschine is great for working in another DAW that doesn’t have session view but it’s nowhere near as seamless as Live between session view and arrangement view but probably more versatile than Rewire slaving Live to another DAW.

Shocking the Ableton forum has a 100% Push 2 recommendation on a product most people haven't used yet. I didn't vote and am not going to just because I have Maschine Studio and not Push 2 (or 1). Some questions are probably better served on a more neutral music forum...and when a product has been out in the wild for more than a couple days for a limited amount of users.
I have not voted either, because the OP gave not enough information about what he seeks from the device.

I'm most certainly not going to get Push 2, since I have Push 1 and already found out about myself that pre-made workflows are not my thing. And Push is just not open enough to be made to follow my workflows.

Since the resale value on Push 1 plunged though, I will be stuck with it for a while longer. Maybe it will grow on my after all 8)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:57 pm

They're pretty different beasts really. I had Maschine 1 and thought it was great fun to make loops on, but arranging those loops was horrible - the internal sequencer is far too limited for any style of music which involves more progression than just changing loops (e.g. you want to keep a loop running while recording parameter automation - not possible in Maschine) and triggering the sequencer from Live felt like a horrible hack. Exporting the loops to audio seemed like the best way to work, but then you lose the ability to tweak the automation inside Maschine over time.

Push (1) is less immediate fun for beat making (Push 2 will address this somewhat but I still don't think it'll be as immediate, e.g. the default layout of parameters and effects in Maschine is great for getting immediate results), but then smoothly leads you in to arranging a track and is much more versatile. It really depends on what you want to do, for classic "hip hop" style beat making, Maschine might be a better choice, but for many other genres, Push runs rings around it despite its limitations.

For this reason you also can't compare the cost of Maschine including software to Push + the cost of Live - Live is a far, far more capable piece of software than Maschine, and unless you are making very simple arrangements (in terms of automation at least), the Maschine software alone won't get you far so you'd need Live anyway.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m still on Live 8 and have to admit Push 2 has peaked my interest more than Push 1 did but the price to upgrade and buy Push is a little steep for my blood right now.

I have not voted either, because the OP gave not enough information about what he seeks from the device.

I'm most certainly not going to get Push 2, since I have Push 1 and already found out about myself that pre-made workflows are not my thing. And Push is just not open enough to be made to follow my workflows.

Since the resale value on Push 1 plunged though, I will be stuck with it for a while longer. Maybe it will grow on my after all 8)

Despite owning a Maschine Studio I’m not really a fan of controllers that are mostly proprietary to a single piece of software. But maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way. Maybe I should see it as hardware and the brain just happens to be on the computer. But also these proprietary controllers tend to be on the expensive side of the spectrum. Kind of weird less openness costs you more money.

login

Post by login » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:48 pm

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

Despite owning a Maschine Studio I’m not really a fan of controllers that are mostly proprietary to a single piece of software. But maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way. Maybe I should see it as hardware and the brain just happens to be on the computer. But also these proprietary controllers tend to be on the expensive side of the spectrum. Kind of weird less openness costs you more money.

Tight integration requires more R&D; developing the protocols for the screens for example.

I think generic controllers are better for live performance where you map them for your particular use, stuff like Maschine and Push are better for composition.

I would like a generic controller for synths, something with 32 encoders with a layout dseigned for instruments, not the horrible rows of buttons all manufacturers do.