Slicing: Maschine Studio vs PUSH II

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mehalic

Slicing: Maschine Studio vs PUSH II

Post by Mehalic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Haven't seen this one discussed yet, but there has bee a lot of love for the new simpler and the slicing modes which also appear on PUSH II display as the waveform with the slice points. Maschine has been doing this since it came out, I'm not expert in it but it seems to work really well. Why should I be geeked over the PUSH functionality over the Maschine functionality? Is there a difference?

Really I'm having some struggles justifying the new PUSH if it is simply for the new simpler and slicing features as I have those already with Maschine and I do use Maschine kits on almost every track I write. I understand the other updates, but most I already have with the original PUSH. Really looking for someone to speak about differences, if any, with the Maschine slicing functionality (and yes I know there are new filters we can use with Simpler and they do sound great, but I already have enough filters and filter emulations so that isn't a real big draw for me).

Any ways, would appreciate any insight into this. Thanks guys.
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

Jip

Re: Slicing: Maschine Studio vs PUSH II

Post by Jip » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Completely agree - I have Maschine studio and Push 1 - Maschine has done the slicing since it came out.

Only difference I can see is warping of long samples in Push 2

Anything else of advantage?

Whether Push 2 or Maschine you have to come out of both to get into arranging.....
Jip

Imac Retina 5k/ Ableton Suite 9 & Push / Maschine Studio / Roland TR-8/ Traktor

JonSolo

Post by JonSolo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:51 am

It is a welcomed addition to see this in Live 9.5 and with the Push 2. I have both Maschine and Push 2 and they are very similar. However, the warp feature in Simpler, as well as the no brainer interface presented on Push 2 make it REALLY easy to get your idea sliced and done.

If you are used to MPC style, they both do the job, but Maschine has that "feel" that gives it an edge.

On the other hand, the Push 2 overall feels less like an interface and more like an instrument then ever before.

So big deal? Yes and no. Yes we can do it. No it is nothing new.
Windows 10 | Intel i7 4770 | 24 GB RAM | Scarlett 6i6 | Dual 27" monitors
Nektar Panorama P6 | Korg Kronos 88 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Blue Baby Bottle | JBL LSR308/310
Cubase Pro 8.5 | Ableton Live 9.7 | Reason 9 | FL Studio 12.3

Teenage Engineering OP-2

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:12 am

Jip wrote: Only difference I can see is warping of long samples in Push 2
Does Maschine not do warping or not as well?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 am

Time stretching in Maschine is an offline affair unfortunately.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:22 am

it's not just that there is time stretching and warping of long samples, it's great for short samples too.

if in fact you can play the session view from push 2 and record your performance into the arrangement view, even though you cannot control the arrangement view with push, then this is still a huge advantage over maschine and this is in no way the same as using maschine and then going out of maschine into ableton, Push is a much more elegant and continuous workflow.

the things that you can do with push 2/ simpler/ drumrack/ session view/ simply cannot be matched with maschine, don't even include the arrangement view in the equation.

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm

starving student wrote:it's not just that there is time stretching and warping of long samples, it's great for short samples too.

if in fact you can play the session view from push 2 and record your performance into the arrangement view, even though you cannot control the arrangement view with push, then this is still a huge advantage over maschine and this is in no way the same as using maschine and then going out of maschine into ableton, Push is a much more elegant and continuous workflow.

the things that you can do with push 2/ simpler/ drumrack/ session view/ simply cannot be matched with maschine, don't even include the arrangement view in the equation.
One thing; however, if I'm not mistaken, is that you need to create a drumrack to adjust start and end times for slicing, am I right? Because with Push, when you convert to a SIMPLER, you are not able to adjust the individual beginning and ends of the slices at first. You do have NUDGE to get each slice start time, but the end will only adjust the end of the entire sliced sample. Am I correct? Because this is something I noticed with Live 9.5 and PUSH 2, which is different from Machine's slicing.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:17 pm

yes I've just learned that this is the case, but it's hardly an issue in practice even though I do feel like ableton will address it anyway because some people are asking about it.....now if the case was that you couldn't adjust the end of the entire piece of audio then that would be a step backward imho but thankfully it is not....... you can get your loop prepared properly before slicing with the start and end marker (which is my method anyway, always like to start with a clean loop before slicing), and then you can either slice by transient or other ways. dealing with individual slices is where you'd use the nudge but it's fine until they add the end marker knob for slices, by which you might already be used to not using it.

the additional things that ableton allow you to do with slices, time stretching, warping, is beyond phenomenal for sample based musicians.