Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Bring Back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality please!

YES: Having every clip the exact same color in a track makes it very difficult to tell different musical ideas apart, especially on-stage. Give users the OPTION of turning this on or off please.
83%
NO: Keep this new functionality in 9.5 and do not give users a choice in changing it
17%

Total votes: 104

solovox

Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 pm

With 9.5, users have no choice in having all clips in a track be created with the exact same color, over and over again. For some, this may be useful, but for many users like myself it's incredibly confusing. Especially on-stage as clips are created, the only difference between your 'melody' clip and your 'alternate melody' for a particular instrument will be 'Instrument-01' and 'Instrument-02,' written in the tiny words on each clip.

Live has functioned for 13 years with random colors so that users can instantly tell the difference per scene, not just per track.

Please vote to give users the option of turning this on or off! Thank you!

soundsliketree

Re: Poll: Bring back Auto-Assign Colors to pre-9.5 functionality

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks for starting this poll, Carl. I couldn't agree more.
eO

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 pm

soundsliketree wrote:Thanks for starting this poll, Carl. I couldn't agree more.
eO
I'm enjoying your SoundCloud! And I finally found someone who's been on this forum longer than me. Wow!
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:38 pm

The old timers want their clip colors back!!

Thanks for checking out my soundcloud page. :)
I've been a fan of yours for a while. By the way, I mastered that KillUWithSex track you did with Vokab Kompany a few years back. Hot stuff.

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Right-click clip and change clip color.

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Bobbyandreano wrote:Right-click clip and change clip color.
We understand how to change the colors after the fact. But not only does this add an additional layer of work in the studio (which is never an improvement to a software update), but this is completely unacceptable as a live performer onstage making loops on the fly. Being able to quickly figure out which riff is which by color is critical.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am

solovox wrote:
Bobbyandreano wrote:Right-click clip and change clip color.
We understand how to change the colors after the fact. But not only does this add an additional layer of work in the studio (which is never an improvement to a software update), but this is completely unacceptable as a live performer onstage making loops on the fly. Being able to quickly figure out which riff is which by color is critical.
Fair enough.

dazexus

Post by dazexus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:42 am

Oh god please this! I write primarily for film/games and having a new colour for every separate recording made differentiating parts much easier. It also allowed me to know, if I had copied say a brass line to strings, where that original clip came from for when I need to tweak one then the other.

Also I had a template prepared with group tracks filled with empty but ready to go midi tracks. My instruments in the group were the only ones highlighted while all the armed midi were default colour. This way I could easily spot where my instrument were for when I needed to change the instrument.

Does the Ableton team even read this forum BTW? or are we just pissing in the wind?

-DJ

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:45 am

dazexus wrote:Oh god please this! I write primarily for film/games and having a new colour for every separate recording made differentiating parts much easier. It also allowed me to know, if I had copied say a brass line to strings, where that original clip came from for when I need to tweak one then the other.

Also I had a template prepared with group tracks filled with empty but ready to go midi tracks. My instruments in the group were the only ones highlighted while all the armed midi were default colour. This way I could easily spot where my instrument were for when I needed to change the instrument.

Does the Ableton team even read this forum BTW? or are we just pissing in the wind?

-DJ
Thank you--an excellent example of how important it is to change this back. And yes, Ableton is watching. I can't believe anyone has voted No for this. It's asking to make it OPTIONAL, people. Sheesh!

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 am

One more old-timer not pleased with this.

When I work in session view and double-click to create clips, I want to get right into the piano roll, instead of having to change the colour just to make it look different from the other ones.

Also, I miss the "no color" option. It was very good for tracks I wasn't completely sure about yet.

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:01 am

I just cannot fathom why anyone is voting No here. You're saying that other users shouldn't have the choice to turn this off?? I would never deprive other users of the option to do something important for them! What the fuck people?!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 am

While I appreciate the thought and voted yes, the way the poll items are formulated is pretty loaded. :lol: Not neutral at all.

1. Yes, do this and make this world a better place for all people to live in harmony and peace forevermore.
2. No, remain in this dark age of strife and sin while you sit on your throne made of thorns.

I don't know!

I think the clips themselves should have random colors to easily tell them apart in scenes, but the overall color ("theme") of the pads, screen, etc. should reflect the color of the track you're currently working on. That's probably the best solution. :)

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:47 am

BoddAH wrote:While I appreciate the thought and voted yes, the way the poll items are formulated is pretty loaded. :lol: Not neutral at all.

1. Yes, do this and make this world a better place for all people to live in harmony and peace forevermore.
2. No, remain in this dark age of strife and sin while you sit on your throne made of thorns.

I don't know!

I think the clips themselves should have random colors to easily tell them apart in scenes, but the overall color ("theme") of the pads, screen, etc. should reflect the color of the track you're currently working on. That's probably the best solution. :)
Ha! Well...while I can see where you're coming from, how I phrased it is pretty accurate! Yes: Give a Choice. No: Give us No Choice.

Thanks for voting Yes.

redglass

Post by redglass » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:12 am

I would prefer a different handling in clip and arrangment view:

clip-view: random colouring
arrangement-view: same colour

just my 2 cent,

Bastian

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 am

In the prefs, we should have :

- enable/disable auto track color
- make a"default clip color"section, just add "random" and "as track" on top of the color palette.

That's how it should be according to me.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1