New USB sound card

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phuzzee_demon

New USB sound card

Post by phuzzee_demon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 am

With my recent upgrade to Windows 10, it has rendered my Presonus Firebox useless since there are apparently no drivers compatible with it. I figure it's a good time to upgrade and get something new and was wondering what people are using? My only real requirement is at least 4 audio in/out and MIDI in/out. Thanks!
"paranoia is just finer tuned reality"

jestermgee

Re: New USB sound card

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 am

phuzzee_demon wrote:With my recent upgrade to Windows 10, it has rendered my Presonus Firebox useless since there are apparently no drivers compatible with it. I figure it's a good time to upgrade and get something new and was wondering what people are using? My only real requirement is at least 4 audio in/out and MIDI in/out. Thanks!
Well I have a Presonus Firebox too (had it over 10 years now) and that is why I am sticking with W7.

I did do some research though in preparation if I wanted to upgrade to W10 and apparently the drivers work just fine, it's the installer that has issues because it does not detect the windows version as a supported one. From my research if you upgrade from W7 to W10 using the migrator tool from M$ then your drivers still work fine but if you try and install the installer chucks its custard.

The solution should be to force the installer into W7 compatibility and then install. From there it should work as expected. If your firebox is anything like mine (apart from the shit firewire connectors) it should be a reliable unit. Look into that first and save your $.

phuzzee_demon

Post by phuzzee_demon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm

jestermgee wrote:
phuzzee_demon wrote:With my recent upgrade to Windows 10, it has rendered my Presonus Firebox useless since there are apparently no drivers compatible with it. I figure it's a good time to upgrade and get something new and was wondering what people are using? My only real requirement is at least 4 audio in/out and MIDI in/out. Thanks!
Well I have a Presonus Firebox too (had it over 10 years now) and that is why I am sticking with W7.

I did do some research though in preparation if I wanted to upgrade to W10 and apparently the drivers work just fine, it's the installer that has issues because it does not detect the windows version as a supported one. From my research if you upgrade from W7 to W10 using the migrator tool from M$ then your drivers still work fine but if you try and install the installer chucks its custard.

The solution should be to force the installer into W7 compatibility and then install. From there it should work as expected. If your firebox is anything like mine (apart from the shit firewire connectors) it should be a reliable unit. Look into that first and save your $.

Yeah I used the migrator tool, but it didn't work for me. It'll recognize that it is connected but says the driver is unavailable. Guess I'll have to get get something new.
"paranoia is just finer tuned reality"

thecld

Post by thecld » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Check out the Focusrite audio interfaces. My Scarlett 18i6 has never failed me and it sounds great. :D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:20 pm

RME Babyface changed my world.
Make some music!

dented42ford

Post by dented42ford » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Here's a 2nd vote for RME, though I have a Fireface UCX (I needed 8 ins). Excellent SQ (on par with Apogee Symphony, better than any of the low-midrange units from Presonus, Focusrite, etc), best drivers in the biz.

The only other option I'd look at is MOTU - the newest ones (AVB family) are leaps and bounds better than the old ones. In the US, they are much cheaper than RME, but in the EU the premium for RME is worth it.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

Since the headphone out on my Scarlett 2i4 seems to be crapping out on me, I've been considering upgrading my sound-card.

What difference does a high-end sound card actually make? Is it just about latency and stability or does the sound quality (I mainly use headphones) actually dramatically improve using studio reference monitors? :o

johnnyburke

Post by johnnyburke » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:38 pm

I also recently installed Windows 10 and now Live does not recognize my Line 6 UX1. Suggestions?