Selecting an Audio Interface for the Beginner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beasyfosheezy

Selecting an Audio Interface for the Beginner

Post by beasyfosheezy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:03 am

Hey all,

I have just started messing around with ableton and I had an old tascam interface that I am having tons of compatibility issues with because it is out dated. I got it for free from a friend. Out with the old, in with the new!

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good 4 or 6 channel interface To use with ableton for a reasonable price.i am looking to spend between 100-300 preferably on the lower side.

H20nly

Re: Selecting an Audio Interface for the Beginner

Post by H20nly » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:38 am

Mac or PC?

What do you want to use the 4 or 6 ports for?

beasyfosheezy

Post by beasyfosheezy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:53 am

I'm currently using a pc however I have not ruled out the possibility of upgrading my system to a Mac. I will be usin ports for guitar, keyboard and microphones.

[art]

Post by [art] » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:56 am

Take this advice however you like,

But I own a 'Propellerhead Balance' .. it's a 2 in 2 out interface, with inputs for up to 8 lines (2 mic, 2 guitar, 4 line), but you can only select 2 at any one time

it has actually been discontinued, so the price has dropped dramatically. you should be able to pick one up on eBay, its plug and play so it works fine even with the current Mac OS (El Capitan). Can't speak for Windows but there are drivers online for Windows 7 & 8.

I don't think it sold well, not because its a sucky unit (it got great reviews), just Propellerhead didn't really have a hardware reputation (they make Reason).

Its a really sleek little light unit and i really like it.

https://www.propellerheads.se/products/balance/

Granted I have another more Pro interface (MOTU Traveler) , but I love using the Balance in general for quick stuff and day to day usage...

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:48 am

Once i thought like you... and invested in this:
it was a solutuion for connecting 2 electribes and live 7..

but it was a bad investment, because later i got a used RME-Multiface for cheap and it rocks solid
for years now.. the firewire-mixer is untouched in his box and nearly worthless today.

sometimes i using it to replace the bad American Dj mixer from my JBL-Mpro225 PA

beasyfosheezy

Post by beasyfosheezy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:27 pm

[quote="Tagor"]Once i thought like you... and invested in this:
it was a solutuion for connecting 2 electribes and live 7..

but it was a bad investment, because later i got a used RME-Multiface for cheap and it rocks solid
for years now.. the firewire-mixer is untouched in his box and nearly worthless today.

sometimes i using it to replace the bad American Dj mixer from my JBL-Mpro225 PA[/quote

Can you tell me more about the functionality your getting from that device and why you find it superior to the other device?

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:16 pm

do you mean the RME-MultifaceII compared to the Multimix12 firewiremixer

or do you mean the Multimixer12 vs the American DJ mixer ?

The Multimix12 has a 24bit-Soundcard involved so its more hightTec then the American DJmixer--
but since firewire is outdated, even the recording-possibilties are lagging, so its just a
Mixer without Crossfader

and while the RME-Multiface have only 1 Poti for the headphone-volume, it just sound! great,
has enough In/Out-channels, a superb driversoftware which replace both, the multimix and the american DJ.

so think twice.. spend 200 bugs more and get @least a babyface or another recommed HIGH-END soundchip.
it pays out with recordingquality, latency, compatibility, soundquality, midi-latency and may rock
for you 10 years or will be easily sellable @bay or elsewhere...

look i also bought one of these:

it does the job, its still functional - but nearly worthless today and the support was not comparable to RME.

so if i count all that together, with saving money there is in most cases saved nothing and you endup in looking for used quality-TEC because you cannot afford the brandnew stuff... think twice and buy one.. not the other way..

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:16 pm

I had an Alesis MultiMix 8 FireWire. I found it to be insufficient for my needs. All the ports and inputs are great but they created a lot of line noise and the output was always low and made thin waveforms that had to be boosted to get any volume out of them... this resulted in boosting the line noise too. I kept mine only to have a mixer to use to play (a small show) live. It works great for playing... not so much for recording.

@ the OP are you trying to play all the instruments at once? I ask because, for your price range, there are more higher quality options available if you lower your inputs to two.

Based on what you've shared, if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at Focusrite interfaces, especially 6i6. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Focusrite