Push 2 Scales

Discuss Push with other users.
Buleriachk

Push 2 Scales

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:35 am

For those interested in re-ordering, or creating new scales, they are located now in the file: (midi-remote-scripts) "\pushbase\melodic_pattern.pyc"

(E.g., I do Flamenco stuff, so I like my default scale (the first one) to be "Minor Gypsy", and the second to be "Phrygian Mode", so I can switch back and forth between the G# and G note in the related scales. I used to use Clyphx, but I suspect it will be awhile, since the code has been completely re-written for Push 2/ Live 9.5)

(for push 1, they were located in Push\consts.pyc)

======= The Following Procedure is at your own risk ==========
(that said, you can get the original files back by re-installing Live 9.5)
I haven't actually tried this with Push 2 (since I haven't received mine yet), but hopefully it will work like Push 1. I'll report back after I verify the procedure
==================================================================

I first copy the directory to a working directory on my desktop, as well as to a backup location, and then use "EasyPythonDecompiler" to decompile the files in the working directory to *.pyc_dis files. I then rename the above file to "melodic_pattern.py" and open it with "Notepad++", at which point I can edit and save it.

I then rename the .pyc file in the original directory to *.pyc_old, and copy the edited .py file into the original directory. Starting Push will compile the .py file into a .pyc file, which is then used with Push 2.

==================================================
http://sourceforge.net/projects/easypythondecompiler/
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
==========================================

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 Scales

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Additionally:

"The last settings that you chose in the Scale options (key, scale type, In Key/Chromatic, and Fixed On/Off) are saved with the Set. Push 2 will return to these settings when the Set is reloaded again. Tip: If you have particular key and scale settings that you like to use all the time, you can save them in your Default Set (see 5.5.4). Any new Set created after this will have those settings in place when working with Push 2."

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 pm

@Buleriachk

I tried to modify the melodic_pattern.py
but the commandline changed a littlebit
Bevor it looked like:

MUSICAL_MODES = ['Major',
[0,
11],

now its more like

Melodic_Pattern = [Scales =
Scale ´Lydian` [0,
10],

so some manual scripting is necessary but after this the push(1) folder vanishes
from the controller selection in live..

i guess i missed a komma or set somewhere one space to much but push2 would be available
while push 1 folder is vanishing from controller selection in live9.5 preferenes.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Tagor wrote:@Buleriachk

I tried to modify the melodic_pattern.py
but the commandline changed a littlebit
Bevor it looked like:

MUSICAL_MODES = ['Major',
[0,
11],

now its more like

Melodic_Pattern = [Scales =
Scale ´Lydian` [0,
10],

so some manual scripting is necessary but after this the push(1) folder vanishes
from the controller selection in live..

i guess i missed a komma or set somewhere one space to much but push2 would be available
while push 1 folder is vanishing from controller selection in live9.5 preferenes.
Well, they may have made other changes, so it might not work the way Push1 did. I won't know until I get my Push 2... Also, Push1 may interfere with Push 2, or there may be overlapping function calls.... lots of things can go wrong, so backup everything..

(I ran into conflicts between 9.2.3 and 9.5 in separate directories (I think).

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:40 am

If i try to replace the melodic_pattern.pyc
vs my modified melodic_pattern.py it do not compile
and the push-folder vanish from controler/midi preferecnces :(

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 am

Tagor wrote:If i try to replace the melodic_pattern.pyc
vs my modified melodic_pattern.py it do not compile
and the push-folder vanish from controler/midi preferecnces :(
Maybe they changed the whole compile paradigm. Thanks for reporting back and for trying it out. I think I might hold off - and I don't need to change things at all if Stray gets Clyphx Push functions implemented for Push 2..

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:59 pm

IT COMPILES!

was a problem with rights file ownership of the rewritten .py
my decompiler deleted the settings so there was a msiserver-owbership missing

phew :D everythig good

next problem clyphX
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=218072

report later

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Good to hear; thanks for letting us know!

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:14 am

Wonder if this scale would be possible on the new push. It´s not really a scale. Just a different setup I guess. And an easier way of coming up with chord progressions in different keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVu-evM2Hr0

http://imgur.com/BkfLVHq

akeven

Post by akeven » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Is it just me, or did Ableton get rid of the Advance Scale/Note Layout Options for the Push 2?
Can't find anything in the new Push 2 manual about the 4th/3rd/Sequent options that were available for the Push 1. It appears this is no longer a mode/option with the new Push 2. Is this an oversight, or am I missing something? I really liked the ability to modify the scale layout, especially the Sequent option which gave access to ALL the notes...

If this is the case and you can no longer access those modes, that is a bummer :(

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm having a lot of issues with the new Push 2, and I'm still not sure where they are coming from.... It may be 3rd party scripts (NativeKontrol, Native Instruments)... so I'm removing those and trying to get down to a "bare bones" Live 9.5/Push 2 configuration..

Until this is sorted, I wouldn't recommend going in and changing anything in Push 2 at present - it is still too new..

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:23 am

@akeven

what do you mean with sequence-option ?

@Buleriachk
are the pads more sensitive @ push2?
i realised differnces between playing Omni2-Arps from the alesis-photonX
and from push1. So i would set some velocurvse in the patch different when using push1.
also the velocurves from photonX there are may differ from push?
normally i have exp,max,linear,log - is there a comparison to push`s curves.. there are 5 under the userbutton.

thx

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:36 am

Tagor wrote:@akeven

what do you mean with sequence-option ?

@Buleriachk
are the pads more sensitive @ push2?
i realised differnces between playing Omni2-Arps from the alesis-photonX
and from push1. So i would set some velocurvse in the patch different when using push1.
also the velocurves from photonX there are may differ from push?
normally i have exp,max,linear,log - is there a comparison to push`s curves.. there are 5 under the userbutton.

thx
IMO, this is really subjective (I've only had it for a day), but the pads seem more sensitive and especially more consistent across the matrix. But most of my time so far has been trying to figure out why Live was crashing, and I'm pretty sure it boils down to Maschine 2.4 vst; individual instrument vst's (even NI's) seem to be fine. Probably has much to do with NI's new NKS standard...

(Live and Maschine are fine individually)

akeven

Post by akeven » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:34 am

I am referring to the Additional/Advanced Scale Options that you can access in Push-1. When in the Scale Mode/Menu, you hold down the Shift Button and then you can access the way that the pads are set up (instead of perfect fourths you can choose thirds going up or across, or you can put all pads in sequential order so that ALL notes are accessed). This part of the Push-2 manual is missing, but I still have access to the advance scale options on Push-1 (when holding down the Shift Button). Not sure why they decided to get rid of these additional scale options, but I used them quite a bit.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:04 am

akeven wrote:I am referring to the Additional/Advanced Scale Options that you can access in Push-1. When in the Scale Mode/Menu, you hold down the Shift Button and then you can access the way that the pads are set up (instead of perfect fourths you can choose thirds going up or across, or you can put all pads in sequential order so that ALL notes are accessed). This part of the Push-2 manual is missing, but I still have access to the advance scale options on Push-1 (when holding down the Shift Button). Not sure why they decided to get rid of these additional scale options, but I used them quite a bit.
:!: rrrrrrrrr´thats kewl! thx
hope it work again with push2...
anybody knows how to hack this function in python ?