Once was a Protools user

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajayhazzard

Once was a Protools user

Post by ajayhazzard » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:35 am

Hi Abletonites !

I have been a Protools user for some time now and have used Ableton as well, since the first version too. Lately with all my sessions I'm using Ableton Live more and more. And now, with the release of the Live 9.5 update I think it's pushed me over the line. The update in Live included a new more smooth look to waveforms and while editing the last session I recorded, I thought to myself, holy crap this is just amazing and so easy on my eyes !

So can I ask, is there anyone else that may be thinking of ditching Protools, or any other workstation, and going with Live for all their studio needs?

jlgrimes

Re: Once was a Protools user

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 pm

ajayhazzard wrote:Hi Abletonites !

I have been a Protools user for some time now and have used Ableton as well, since the first version too. Lately with all my sessions I'm using Ableton Live more and more. And now, with the release of the Live 9.5 update I think it's pushed me over the line. The update in Live included a new more smooth look to waveforms and while editing the last session I recorded, I thought to myself, holy crap this is just amazing and so easy on my eyes !

So can I ask, is there anyone else that may be thinking of ditching Protools, or any other workstation, and going with Live for all their studio needs?
Never really used Pro Tools much but Ableton is a great program. And while Ableton isn't really known too much for flashy updates, most of their improvements adds a lot to the program without never really bloating it.

I use Studio One for Recording Audio and mixing and Ableton mostly for composing.

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 am

don't ditch use both is what I would do

ajayhazzard

Post by ajayhazzard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Hey, thanks for your feedback !

I think I'll stick with both. I may stay with Protools 11 for now though, the new version requires an ongoing subscription to AVID.

Ajay

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:06 pm

ajayhazzard wrote:the new version requires an ongoing subscription to AVID.
Ouch. IMO Avid has behaved like the Microsoft of the past 2 decades (until recently), smugly sitting on being the industry standard while blowing off the competition. The subscription model certainly isn’t going to gain them new users and in fact might be a reaction to losing market share, sticking it to users who are stuck with the industry standard perception to keep revenue up. It’s also kind of an elitist way to try to counter piracy.