Push 2 Pads and First Impressions

Discuss Push with other users.
[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Push 2 Pads and First Impressions

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
The only other "problem" I had (and this I'll probably figure out eventually) was when working with layered sounds in the drum rack. I can edit each of my layers perfectly - I just couldn't figure out how to switch layers within my chain. Again, I found myself having to click on the relevant layer on my Mac and then edit it with Push. I'm sure I need to hold something and something to switch....!
You're right, you have to keep pressed a button. Now, let's guess which one :roll:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:40 pm

[jur] wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
The only other "problem" I had (and this I'll probably figure out eventually) was when working with layered sounds in the drum rack. I can edit each of my layers perfectly - I just couldn't figure out how to switch layers within my chain. Again, I found myself having to click on the relevant layer on my Mac and then edit it with Push. I'm sure I need to hold something and something to switch....!
You're right, you have to keep pressed a button. Now, let's guess which one :roll:
Mate, that's so cruel! :lol:

I think I tried "shift" - but I may have been a few too many beers deep at that point!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Tarekith wrote:Take a microfibre cloth or a t-shirt or some other soft clean cloth and rub the top of each pad until you create a bit of friction heat. I know it sounds dumb, but most pad controllers come with this weird waxy substance on them, and once you rub it off it's amazing how much softer and more responsive they are. I've done this on all my pad gear, Maschine Studio, Electribe, etc.

I'm guessing it's just a left over from the manufacturign process, or maybe something applied to keep the rubber from breaking down in long term storage before they get bought.

Anyway, makes a big difference!
Thanks Tarekith just saw you tutorial on youtube.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Push 2 is eating my cpu when playing 3rd part vst,s im on a very fast pc and win 10, ive reinstalled live, plugged all other controllers out etc.

playing forexampel Nexsus 2 sky rocket the cpu to over 100, normally its 5 to 10 % when i use it very hard tweaking and playing, same goes with nearlly all my vst,s

solved: reinstalled my Propellerheads Balance usb audio, and it doubled the speed, and half cpu :) but i still miss the speed as it was with live 9.2 and push 1
Last edited by lovelight on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
[jur] wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
Mate, that's so cruel! :lol:

I think I tried "shift" - but I may have been a few too many beers deep at that point!
... only one han is needed.
Ableton Forum Moderator

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:59 pm

[quote="zsklar"]Hey RikRak, I sure wish I was able to get Push 2 to work with my Windows 7 Pro desktop. Push 1 works fine. I have tried every USB on the desktop and whenever I turn on Push 2 it causes Live 9.5 to hang and the only way to get out of it is to close the program. I have been going back and forth with Ableton tech support for 3 days now. If you are having issues as well with it playing nice with Live 9.5, then something is definitely not right with the drivers. I am beyond frustrated at this point and am now thinking about just returning the damn thing and sticking with my Push 1.

For the record, the drivers installed successfully on my machine. I can see that in the device manager. I have PUSH 2 to choose from in the as a midi controller, but there is nothing in the input and output drop down box. That means something is not right between the drivers and Live I would think. I have plugged in my Push 2 to my Macbook Pro and it communicates perfectly. Live 9.5 automatically configured the Midi Controller and input and output. I didn't have to touch a thing.

I've tried pretty much everything to get this working....uninstalling the Push 2 USB drivers and reinstalling them. I've uninstalled Live 9.5 and reinstalled it. I've cleaned Live 9.5 and all other versions of Live from my system. I've unplugged all of the other controllers connected to the PC and just tried Push 2. No luck with anything. I'm literally going on my 3rd day with Ableton Tech support.

This makes no sense and I am thinking Ableton rushed this out and many Windows customers are going to run into these issues. Does anyone else have issues with Windows and Push 2??? I'm pretty certain it's an issue with the windows drivers.

If anyone can offer any insight or help I'd REALLY appreciate it!

- Zach[/quote]

i pretty much have same problem, sky high cpu, crash down constanly, and my computer is state of art, pc and win 10. it must be a driver problem, hopefully..

solved: reinstalled my usb audio, doubled the speed and half cpu. but still miss the speed as it was with live 9.2 and push 1
Last edited by lovelight on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 pm

[jur] wrote:
Hmmm, is this a Star Wars reference? Joke, joke!

I'll have a look when I get it, mate - I know it's got to be obvious! I remember seeing the name of the current layer in the top left with an arrow pointing left...hmm. I thought I tried the arrow pads, but those IPAs were pretty strong....

ark

Post by ark » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:24 am

zsklar wrote:Hey RikRak, I sure wish I was able to get Push 2 to work with my Windows 7 Pro desktop. Push 1 works fine. I have tried every USB on the desktop and whenever I turn on Push 2 it causes Live 9.5 to hang and the only way to get out of it is to close the program.

If anyone can offer any insight or help I'd REALLY appreciate it!
First give power to Push 2 by connecting its power supply and turning it on.

Then connect its USB cable to the computer.

That works every time for me. If I connect Push 2 to the computer without first connecting the power supply, it fails most of the time.

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey, can any of you folks give us a sense of color consistency between the buttons on Push 2?

My push 1 has slight variations across the buttons even when they are supposedly showing the same color. When blue, there are a couple of buttons that appear greenish. When red, I have some with a yellow tint and others with an orange tint.

It doesn't affect the functionality, but it is annoying to see in an otherwise amazing and high quality build. I'm hoping that Push 2 has been improved in this area.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:53 pm

All colours are absolutely exact. No differences between pads whatsoever.

Getting back to the dodgy driver behaviour; it is still taking 5mins or so of un/plugging USB and/or power to get it working. I've also had about a half-dozen freezes today - usually within the first 4 or 5 touches. Once it is running stable, it works flawlessly. The pad sensitivity is fine now they are broken in a little.

In general, I'm really enjoying my experiments with Push 2. I have a bunch of questions but I will save them for a little later.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks! I wish I could help you with your problem, but thanks for answering my question about the pad colors.
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
[jur] wrote:
Hmmm, is this a Star Wars reference? Joke, joke!

I'll have a look when I get it, mate - I know it's got to be obvious! I remember seeing the name of the current layer in the top left with an arrow pointing left...hmm. I thought I tried the arrow pads, but those IPAs were pretty strong....
Ok. Keep the instrument rack device selector button pressed...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tone

Post by Tone » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:57 am

The only thing I did not immediately like was the pads. Love everything else! I like the recess buttons better, aluminum finish better too. I had push one as soon as they were out, so im hoping its just me being used to playing the old one for so long. I actually perfered how they were raised, reminded me of mpcstuff.com chunky pads as opposed to stock ones. Im going to try the friction cleaning. can people post their pad settings?? im at (L to R) 7 5 5
MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 i7 quad, 16 gb ram, OS X 10.10.2, Live 9.6, PUSH II
https://soundcloud.com/nitepeople

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:55 am

Mostly 7 8 7 here, but it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing mainly drums I might go 6 6 6.

rabs

Post by rabs » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

I am definitely having the same inconsistent pad issues - with regards to velocity.

It's really noticeable when playing say a piano gently. When I play a few chords gently, one note at a time - kind of rolling the notes - all of a sudden one note will jump out really loud.

Is this the same issue you had rikrak?

It seems like a firmware issue as apposed to a hardware faulty....vey disappointed as my Push 1 didn't do this.