Reasons for keeping Push 1, please add yours

Discuss Push with other users.
tehsuk

Re: Reasons for keeping Push 1, please add yours

Post by tehsuk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm

I've already received an email with an update to PTX-Live for Push 1 at least...

PXT-Live has been updated. You can read about the changes on the first page of the manual.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PXT-LIVE PLUS USERS: PXT-Live Plus also needs to be updated for compatibility with Live 9.5. These updates will not be issued for at least one week. It's recommended that you do not try to use PXT-Live Plus with Live 9.5 until you receive a PXT-Live Plus update email.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:09 pm

muthafunka wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 if Maschine or Komplete Kontrol VST's are instantiated on any track.
(Normal vst's seem unaffected, even those with NKS like Arturia)
Please be specific - what OS etc? What do you mean 'Push 2 crashes 9.5'? Do those plugs not crash 9.5 until you plug Push2 in? Sorry, would just like specific info as I'm waiting on a Push 2 now.
Check out the Push crash threads in this forum. It applies only to Maschine and Komplete Kontrol vst's (not to ANY other plugins). If you are not using those, there is no issue.

tehsuk

Post by tehsuk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
muthafunka wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 if Maschine or Komplete Kontrol VST's are instantiated on any track.
(Normal vst's seem unaffected, even those with NKS like Arturia)
Please be specific - what OS etc? What do you mean 'Push 2 crashes 9.5'? Do those plugs not crash 9.5 until you plug Push2 in? Sorry, would just like specific info as I'm waiting on a Push 2 now.
Check out the Push crash threads in this forum. It applies only to Maschine and Komplete Kontrol vst's (not to ANY other plugins). If you are not using those, there is no issue.
Apparently only in Windows at that; quite a big factor that should probably be more visibly noted in all these "OMG IT CRASHES" threads.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Looks like the new Live bets 9.5.1b1 has fixed the problem (for me, anyway). Loaded/saved Maschine/KK vst's in sets numerous times, no issues. NKS Browsing is fine also.

Hat's off to Ableton... that was really FAST!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

I forgot that another factor is my struggle with the value of the display.

I understand that a display can be way more helpful with parameters and finding those sweet spots in simpler, etc. and that it probably feels like a solid instrument more than ever (with those sleek icons for many parameters of devices...it'd be fun to see a collection of all the icons!)

But I'm trying to de if if it is something I want badly enough to make an investment. If I had a surplus of cash, I'd slap my money down in an instant. It'd be a no-brainer haha. Just in my situation, I guess I have to make up reasons for why I don't 'need' the latest one :D. I am not trying to escape my computer monitor, and am kind of hoping that in the future you'll be able to get the same kind of data on phones and tablets (either with dedicated software like touchable, or in the future maybe even through web browsers!).

So then I have to accept that, after this initial jump into a full color display, it'll just proliferate more and more.
Although it certainly would be handy having that display directly near my fingers tapping things out on the pads 8)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:15 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I forgot that another factor is my struggle with the value of the display.

I understand that a display can be way more helpful with parameters and finding those sweet spots in simpler, etc. and that it probably feels like a solid instrument more than ever (with those sleek icons for many parameters of devices...it'd be fun to see a collection of all the icons!)

But I'm trying to de if if it is something I want badly enough to make an investment. If I had a surplus of cash, I'd slap my money down in an instant. It'd be a no-brainer haha. Just in my situation, I guess I have to make up reasons for why I don't 'need' the latest one :D. I am not trying to escape my computer monitor, and am kind of hoping that in the future you'll be able to get the same kind of data on phones and tablets (either with dedicated software like touchable, or in the future maybe even through web browsers!).

So then I have to accept that, after this initial jump into a full color display, it'll just proliferate more and more.
Although it certainly would be handy having that display directly near my fingers tapping things out on the pads 8)
A huge factor for me was the LED's on the buttons were so dim as to be useless - it was impossible to see them in normal room lighting and difficult to see even in dim lighting. The Push 2 buttons are fine, and the matrix is even and so much better on the eyes... Also, the layout is much more logical.

Not to say that Push 1 isn't a very powerful musical instrument - and it is not absolutely necessary to upgrade to Push 2. But the trade-in deal was the deal maker for me....

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 pm

I also have mine scheduled for a trade in with Ableton, but I'll wait to see if I do the trade or keep it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:53 pm

i'm keeping my Push (1). i think the new one will be amazing to own, in time.

thing is, even with a $250.00 discount all i would be doing is paying the same price i already paid for what doesn't appear to amount to a whole lot more than a new display.

i've seen several threads pop up with user issues and pad sensitivity problems. <--- that's kind of big deal with a pad driven instrument.

to me, spending $500 dollars on a version of Live with a browser/indexer that is better built would be more fruitful. surely Push could use a better table to access instruments/sounds too.

i am glad that the discount is available until May. when i see the user threads popping up praising Ableton for fixing the current public beta issues of Push 2 i'll be much more inclined to buy/pay. not sure how they're going to fix the tap tempo though. new firmware does nothing for buttons.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:35 pm

If anyone is experimenting with the latest beta, I saw this "It is now possible to load and hotswap samples in audio tracks."

What's that mean??

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 pm

TheTechnobear wrote: I think the comment on the charity aspect is a little un-charitable :) win-win, is correct it implies both parties win, which I think is the case... in fact i think its win-win-win (you-ableton-kids)

its a charity thing, yes, you could financially do better, and sure it doesn't cost ableton much (refurb/organisation costs) and gets kids using Push/Ableton ... but regardless of this kids still get a free push and daw to make music with.
so taking the cynical hat off for a second..
when you give kids project ableton + a push, are they going to be happy? are they going to go and make some music?
(lets bare in mind as this thread shows, this is not some piece of has-been junk, the Push 1 is still very useful!)

so sure its good marketing for ableton, but its still a good thing... and something we should encourage companies to do.
Here's the gist of it, it is not 100% win for Push 1 owners. The value of $240 placed on Push 1 by Ableton only offering that much for the upgrade lowers the resell value in general of Push 1, I don't think that can be denied. It is though 100% win x4 for Ableton, they get feel good publicity, another unit of Push 2 sold, a tax write off, and a slew of potential new customers. There's nothing cynical about stating this, it's just fact. this is a thread about reasons to keep Push 1 remember?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
A huge factor for me was the LED's on the buttons were so dim as to be useless - it was impossible to see them in normal room lighting and difficult to see even in dim lighting. The Push 2 buttons are fine
Yeah, though with the power supply there is a significant difference. As the Push 2 has to have a supply you have to judge the Push 1 with a supply. Anyway, I had the same issues under daytime conditions and took that as reason to memorize the buttons. That was very useful when I got PXT Live as I could build on that when buttons change role in new modes.

I have a hard time finding the PXT Live update, as that's on hold because of changes in Live 9.5.1b, and the ClyphX 2.5.1 update, as the "current" link leads to 2.5.0.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
TheTechnobear wrote: I think the comment on the charity aspect is a little un-charitable :) win-win, is correct it implies both parties win, which I think is the case... in fact i think its win-win-win (you-ableton-kids)

its a charity thing, yes, you could financially do better, and sure it doesn't cost ableton much (refurb/organisation costs) and gets kids using Push/Ableton ... but regardless of this kids still get a free push and daw to make music with.
when you give kids project ableton + a push, are they going to be happy? are they going to go and make some music?
(lets bare in mind as this thread shows, this is not some piece of has-been junk, the Push 1 is still very useful!)

so sure its good marketing for ableton, but its still a good thing... and something we should encourage companies to do.
Here's the gist of it, it is not 100% win for Push 1 owners. The value of $240 placed on Push 1 by Ableton only offering that much for the upgrade lowers the resell value in general of Push 1, I don't think that can be denied. It is though 100% win x4 for Ableton, they get feel good publicity, another unit of Push 2 sold, a tax write off, and a slew of potential new customers. There's nothing cynical about stating this, it's just fact. this is a thread about reasons to keep Push 1 remember?
which of these is a reason to keep it?

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:45 pm

H20nly wrote: i've seen several threads pop up with user issues and pad sensitivity problems. <--- that's kind of big deal with a pad driven instrument.
Can you direct me to that link?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:13 am

H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

which of these is a reason to keep it?
The charity aspect has been mentioned as a reason to upgrade. I think you don't have to feel guilty at all for not buying into a charity situation where you're making a company look good, not an individual for the above mentioned reasons.