M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Matt_Quinn

M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:34 pm

For some reason, this device shows everything as being on MIDI channel 1, even though that's definitely not accurate. Example: I have a Moog sending & receiving on channel 5, and I can *see* that in Live's I/O section on that track, but the MIDI Monitor device on the same track shows all the proper names/parameter changes, just on the wrong channel. Any thoughts? Trying to set all my controllers neatly mapped on their own channels.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

kleine

Re: M4L Essentials MIDI Monitor: always displaying channel 1?

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:19 pm

The channel view is indeed at the moment slightly superfluous, Live merges EVERYTHING internally (device view) to Channel 1 no matter which channel your in/out section is set to...

best,
c

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 pm

kleine wrote:The channel view is indeed at the moment slightly superfluous, Live merges EVERYTHING internally (device view) to Channel 1 no matter which channel your in/out section is set to...

best,
c

That's weird. What is this device supposed to be used for then? Why even bother including it? This is why I hate the fact that Max devices don't always come with documentation/explanation. I spent probably an hour last night screwing around trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup/the device, but it's just broken. Wasted time. Thanks for the answer though.

kleine

Post by kleine » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:00 pm

The intent is mainly to watch CC data. E.g. in case you're wondering if your keyboard or controller e.g. sends Aftertouch, this device will help you. The fact that Live merges everything to channel one has nothing to do with the device.
Note that you can use the device also directly in Max 7 (which can load amxd's) and you can monitor all channel data.

Best,
c

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry for asking a question. I could not give a single fuck about learning anything about Max, not my bag. I just wanted to see what channel some information was coming in on, figured a device called MIDI monitor would do that. It didn't, I didn't understand *why* it didn't, so I asked, and got an answer from Kleine straight away. I'm glad you love this device, good for you. It just happens to not do what *I* wanted/needed it to do. Not sure why you seemed to take personal offense to this.

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I do agree that it's not cool to have not the i/o MIDI channel shown. I hope that can be changed at some point.
Besides that, i think there are quite a few good use cases for this device.

best,
c

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:Sorry for asking a question. I could not give a single fuck about learning anything about Max, not my bag. I just wanted to see what channel some information was coming in on, figured a device called MIDI monitor would do that. It didn't, I didn't understand *why* it didn't, so I asked, and got an answer from Kleine straight away. I'm glad you love this device, good for you. It just happens to not do what *I* wanted/needed it to do. Not sure why you seemed to take personal offense to this.
Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

I'm talking about the "what's the purpose of this device/why include it??" comments.

The device clearly shows more than just the MIDI channel, so yeah, dumb.
Unsound Designer

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 pm

stringtapper wrote: Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

I'm talking about the "what's the purpose of this device/why include it??" comments.

Just for reference, this is how you properly answer a question without being a douche:
kleine wrote:The intent is mainly to watch CC data. E.g. in case you're wondering if your keyboard or controller e.g. sends Aftertouch, this device will help you. The fact that Live merges everything to channel one has nothing to do with the device.
Note that you can use the device also directly in Max 7 (which can load amxd's) and you can monitor all channel data.

Best,
c

See how easy that was? Now you try.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:
stringtapper wrote: Well what you said was mostly just dumb and I suppose that offends some people.

Just for reference, this is how you properly answer a question without being a douche:
I'm not here to answer your questions. I'm here to let you know how dumb your own responses to some of those answers have been.

Any other obvious things you need explained in detail?
Unsound Designer

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi.
Should I link you to the Community guidelines ?
Seriously, you're free to insult each others... but use the PM for that.
Thanks.
Julien
Ableton Forum Moderator