Velocity on Push 2: Bug???

Discuss Push with other users.
doomdev

Velocity on Push 2: Bug???

Post by doomdev » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:15 am

So I was playing with push 1 and push 2 side by side. I just noticed that if you just keep your finger on the pad (not triggered) and press it hard on the push 2, it gives a high velocity note. So far my assumption for velocity was the harder you hit on the pad, the higher will be the velocity of the note, but here, even if you are not hitting hard on the pad, just pressing it hard will give a high velocity note. Is this a feature or a bug?

Secondly if feel like the range of aftertouch from min pressure to max pressure is pretty low. It is very hard to slowly modulate the aftertouch and stay in between the range. Mostly you will get to the extremes of the aftertouch range. you also have to press really hard to really activate aftertouch on the pads.

Is anybody else noticing this?

rikrak

Re: Velocity on Push 2: Bug???

Post by rikrak » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

Yes, exactly the same on my Push2. I hope these things can be fixed with a firmware update. The max volume when pushing on a pad you are already touching is very annoying because it causes occasional spikes in amplitude when you are trying to play softly and slowly.

I read that Push1 had some extra Settings, so there is a good chance the Aftertouch will be adjustable in an update. This may fix both issues.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:03 am

They'll probably address this in a firmware update.

I do hope its aftertouch will be at least as good as Push 1's. Push V1's initial AT was pretty poor, but after 9.2, the default was very good (for me at least), with it being adjustable as well.

Same thoughts on velocity.

Strange, everyone is raving about how much easier and better Push 2 is to play, yet how can this be with these issues?

I do not find Push 1 hard to play at all btw, in fact it is perfectly fine.

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:33 am

I haven't got a Push 2 but I'm also surprised by some comments that I've read saying the Push 1 is hard to play.

The only reason I can come up with for that is that those people haven't discovered the menu to adjust the sensitivity. I found mine pretty unresponsive at the default which I believe was zero, but I've got it set on -15 now, and it is very sensitive with no stuck pads. -17 and below I believe gives me stuck pads.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 am

did you guys report this and if so what was the response?

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 am

Yes, I reported it yesterday. Support response was to ask if I had Accent engaged. Obviously, this is not the cause of the issue but I imagine they get a lot of support tickets that are down to basic user-error.

I plan to make a video later to show them what is happening.

Just to reiterate here: if I place my finger lightly on a pad such that it doesn't trigger and then press down suddenly, a midi note with velocity of exactly 127 is generated. This is regardless of Accent and Pad settings.

I would like to know if this is happening on everyone's Push2 or whether I have a defective unit.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM

rabs

Post by rabs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:47 am

Yep exactly the same on mine rikrak.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Here's the video I'm sending to Support to illustrate the problem with unwanted Max Pad Velocity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QskR9t2mtw

If everyone's Push 2 behaves like this I will try to work around it until it may be fixed by a firmware update. (eg using a Chain to ignore any velocity over, say, 120).

If it's a manufacturing fault only apparent on some machines, I would rather return my Push 2 and get a replacement.

Apologies for hijacking your thread doomdev. I agree on your other point, that the aftertouch has a narrow range of pad movement and is difficult to use from a performance point of view.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 pm

rikrak wrote:Here's the video I'm sending to Support to illustrate the problem with unwanted Max Pad Velocity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QskR9t2mtw

If everyone's Push 2 behaves like this I will try to work around it until it may be fixed by a firmware update. (eg using a Chain to ignore any velocity over, say, 120).

If it's a manufacturing fault only apparent on some machines, I would rather return my Push 2 and get a replacement.

Apologies for hijacking your thread doomdev. I agree on your other point, that the aftertouch has a narrow range of pad movement and is difficult to use from a performance point of view.
Good video mate - I'll double-check tonight but I was certainly getting that exact behavior a week ago (over the weekend I was mostly playing with Accent engaged so I wouldn't have noticed this).

antoinevg

Post by antoinevg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Seeing the same issue here.

Paradoxically it seems to particularly jump out when I'm pressing notes with my little finger as I tend to hit a lot softer with it.

I've submitted a bug report on https://ableton.centercode.com - will update if I hear anything back.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi everyone!
What pad settings are you using?
Ableton Forum Moderator

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 pm

It is nothing to do with Pad Settings, as we have said in this thread, the other threads, the video and the support tickets.

antoinevg

Post by antoinevg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 pm

[jur] wrote:Hi everyone!
What pad settings are you using?
I've tried with a wide range of pad settings but the behaviour stays the same.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:49 pm

same here, no matter off the settings...

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:10 pm

I just received a response from Support. They were able to reproduce the issue. They are not sure whether it is a bug or expected behaviour but the developers are going to take a look at it.

If it is expected behaviour, I am hopeful that a future update will give us more control over the Pad Settings so that we can choose to turn the Pressure->Velocity mapping off or lower it significantly.

I'll post back here if Support get back to me with any comment from the developers.