Velocity on Push 2: Bug???

Discuss Push with other users.
doomdev

Re: Velocity on Push 2: Bug???

Post by doomdev » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for making the video @rikrak Hope we can get this issue fixed.
I like the display and the sampling features in the push 2, but I really like the playability of the push 1.

I don't feel like I have not good control over the aftertouch and the velocity while playing push 2 from a performance standpoint.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Yeah, the playability of the pads is the main reason I got a Push. I don't do much with samples and I could live without the fancy graphics.

I'm tempted to send it back and get a second-hand Push1 while the prices are so low. I keep hearing how the Push1 pads are fine so long as you are not too bothered about colour consistency.

Hopefully Ableton will address the issue officially, one way or the other, soon.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM
http://soundcloud.com/scatterbattery

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm pretty confident Ableton will fix this. If it starts looking, for whatever reason, that they cannot or will not, then I will have to disappoint my brother and not sell my old Push to him, and skip on Push 2.

It's paramount that the pads are at least as good as Push 1 for expressive playing without any weirdness, otherwise it will be a downgrade for me. Push 1 with -9 sensitivity is perfect for me.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Just had an update from Support.

The Push 2 devs have confirmed it is a bug and that it affects all units. They have promised to address it in a future update, although it may not make the upcoming 9.5.1.

That's good news. If you are experiencing this problem, your Push 2 doesn't have a hardware defect and it's only a temporary annoyance.
Win 7 64bit, Live9.6, M-Audio Delta1010, padKontrol x 2, Elektron OT, MD-UW, MNM

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 pm

way to go rikrak..... thank you!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Excellent, thanks for the update

doomdev

Post by doomdev » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:05 pm

That's an awesome news @rikrak..!!!

net147

Post by net147 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:26 pm

rikrak wrote:Here's the video I'm sending to Support to illustrate the problem with unwanted Max Pad Velocity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QskR9t2mtw

If everyone's Push 2 behaves like this I will try to work around it until it may be fixed by a firmware update. (eg using a Chain to ignore any velocity over, say, 120).

If it's a manufacturing fault only apparent on some machines, I would rather return my Push 2 and get a replacement.

Apologies for hijacking your thread doomdev. I agree on your other point, that the aftertouch has a narrow range of pad movement and is difficult to use from a performance point of view.
What software are you using for the MIDI monitor?

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:57 pm

>>What software are you using for the MIDI monitor?

I can't check right now but it was a free VST which I downloaded for the purposes of the demonstration. (i usually monitor using my Midipal).

EDIT: It was this one - http://www.kvraudio.com/product/midimon ... t-piz-here

Pushereup

Post by Pushereup » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:28 pm

is the bug fixed?
played on a push2 at a music-store and sometimes a drum i didn't hit came.
maybe it's because that push got pushed to hard.
is it worth buying push? does it fasten your workflow? or is it making music more intuitive?

bhud45

Post by bhud45 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 am

I'm still having this issue and it's quite annoying. When working with others, this happens, then I get a stabbing look like "wtf are you doing?". When you're jamming live this is sooo unacceptable. The maxed velocity all of a sudden causes a great deal of disruption, offends everyones ears and screws up the whole vibe.

Trying to explain it is usually pointless, cause they look at it like "damn, you spent that much on a controller that doesn't even work properly". And this has been a KNOWN problem for how f'ing long now...

Fix it already...christ, man. Shoulda be a friggin urgent update, or else people can't even play the god damn thing live.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

I returned my Push 2 with a view to picking one up again once this bug was fixed. The fact that it hasn't been fixed yet could mean that it is a fault with the physical hardware itself or just that Ableton have limited developer resources and a backlog of stuff to code. I assume most people are working around it by adjusting their playing style but for me it was a deal breaker.

bhud45

Post by bhud45 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:08 am

Yeah, no one should have to alter their style due to a hardware or software defect in a unit that costs this much...

Am I alone in thinking that it kinda seems to me that they worked/partnered with Akai for the Push1 in order to gather their engineering/software/intellectual concepts behind the MPC, then cut them out of the deal altogether when they came out with this unit...?

It's a great piece of equipment, but even though they built it "from the bottom up" as I have read, they really could not have done it without the concepts or building blocks of the MPC technology.

antoinevg

Post by antoinevg » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:33 pm

This has been fixed in the 9.7 beta.

rikrak

Post by rikrak » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:54 pm

antoinevg wrote:This has been fixed in the 9.7 beta.
That's good to know, thanks.