Syncing two machines - lappy and studio computer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Syncing two machines - lappy and studio computer

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello all,
I am trying to work out the best way to keep files synced on two machines - a lappy and a desktop (main studio computer).

I often workon reaktor athe, or some sound design on my laptop, then have to transfer back to my desktop. the problem is that i may sometimes create sounds and patches on my desktop as wel, so just importing the files and writing ove the old ones doesn't workl.

I think I need a cloudbased solution that lets me have a central repository for both sets of files that is then updated whenever I update a file on either of the machines. Idealy it would autosync so that I don't have to remember to do so, avoiding file clashes if I forget to update the studio machine and start working on the laptop.

Am sure there is a few apps that will do this kind of thing, does anyone have any they recommend? I use crashplan for backup and that's great, thinking there may be a similar type of programm for sync.. they do have a sync app bu it's enterprise level and i don't have that kind of money (plus there will be other optionsmore suited to my needs I am sure)

Many thanks,

TS
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

hacktheplanet

Re: Syncing two machines - lappy and studio computer

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:59 pm

I use Dropbox, but there are many options: Google Drive, Mega, iCloud, OneDrive... Search for something like Cloud Storage Service.