Push step sequencer problem for drum rack

Discuss Push with other users.
audioguru.pl

Push step sequencer problem for drum rack

Post by audioguru.pl » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 pm

I have noticed, I can`t display the steps while pushing a particular pad while in drum rack mode in the step sequencwer. I can only show the steps for a particular pad and change it while holding down the select button. Is this a new functionality in 9.5??
It used to work in previous versions.
Here is a short cli to ilustrate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-9aH88v3hA

Razz CE

Re: Push step sequencer problem for drum rack

Post by Razz CE » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:02 pm

In my experience this just changed sometimes on my Push 1. One day I'd be playing in drum rack and each pad I played would be selected. Next day I'd have to hold select to see that pad's step sequencer.

Off the top of my head - does it maybe have something to do with whether you are in piano roll view vs. the device panel in Live?

On Push 2 a pad is selected as soon as I press it. I actually prefer the setting showed in your video. Sometimes I want to keep viewing a particular pad while I play a whole pattern. Not a big deal to me, though.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

audioguru.pl

Post by audioguru.pl » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:50 pm

I dug deeper through the manual and i found out what the issue was.
It`s explained deeper in instrument and drum racks and has to do with Auto Select button activated or not.

In a drum rack its in the left corner of the pads higghlited yellow:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:04 pm

audioguru.pl wrote:I have noticed, I can`t display the steps while pushing a particular pad while in drum rack mode in the step sequencwer. I can only show the steps for a particular pad and change it while holding down the select button. Is this a new functionality in 9.5??
That's a bug if you ask me. Please report it.

It's good you found a workaround, but the display on the Push shouldn't be affected this way, so it must ve considered a bug.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:12 pm

This isn't a bug.
The display automatically follows if auto-select is turned on in the drum rack. If it's not, you need to press select+pad.
It makes perfect sense. I mean, when performing you don't necessarily need the display trying to follow every drum hits/pads and waste CPU ressources... that's why Push follows the drum rack's auto-select status.
Now, it would be great to be able to switch auto-select on/off from Push...

cheers,
Julien
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 pm

[jur] wrote:This isn't a bug.
The display automatically follows if auto-select is turned on in the drum rack. If it's not, you need to press select+pad.
It makes perfect sense. I mean, when performing you don't necessarily need the display trying to follow every drum hits/pads and waste CPU ressources... that's why Push follows the drum rack's auto-select status.
It's a bug if it's on by default. Also these functions shouldn't be tied together at all. Any changed functionality vital to Push usage and not reachable from Push is just wrong, plain and simple.
Make some music!

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:22 am

Stromkraft wrote:It's a bug if it's on by default. Also these functions shouldn't be tied together at all. Any changed functionality vital to Push usage and not reachable from Push is just wrong, plain and simple.
You can change that setting on a track-by-track basis and save it in your live set. I personally think this is the way that it should work.

I believe the default setting when you add a drum rack is to have auto-select on. So only people who know about the auto-select button will ever turn it off.

I have sample packs and sets with drum racks where auto-select is turned off, but that's the only time I've seen it be off.

I don't think this is a bug and I also don't think that anything's changed. This is how it has worked since I first bought the Push 1.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 am

blof_eld wrote: I don't think this is a bug and I also don't think that anything's changed. This is how it has worked since I first bought the Push 1.
I guess you for unknown reasons disagree with "Any changed functionality vital to Push usage and not reachable from Push is just wrong". Why exactly? What's your rationale for this? Why is it to be expected that changed behavior in Push should be based on settings that can't be reached from Push itself?

Whether it has been present from the beginning is irrelevant.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

The only thing missing is being able to change auto select from Push. Can't see the big problem here with the way it works now.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
blof_eld wrote: You can change that setting on a track-by-track basis and save it in your live set. I personally think this is the way that it should work.

I don't think this is a bug and I also don't think that anything's changed. This is how it has worked since I first bought the Push 1.
I guess you for unknown reasons disagree with "Any changed functionality vital to Push usage and not reachable from Push is just wrong". Why exactly? What's your rationale for this? Why is it to be expected that changed behavior in Push should be based on settings that can't be reached from Push itself?

Whether it has been present from the beginning is irrelevant.
I fixed it for you. Seems to me he explained it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:54 am

login wrote:The only thing missing is being able to change auto select from Push.
That's the bug / design error! It's stupid!

Your suggestion this is a no problem is akin to thinking it being normal to have to select a track to work on from Push, but only being able to do this from the Live interface itself.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:55 am

dataf1ow wrote: I fixed it for you. Seems to me he explained it.
This makes no sense.
Make some music!