Arrangement view automation

Discuss Push with other users.
Jbvdb

Arrangement view automation

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:05 pm

I can only seem to find info about recording clip automation
How do I record manual automation from push while in arranger view?
Thx

Jbvdb

Re: Arranger view automatio

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:10 pm

Sorry one more!
How about step sequencing fx automation in audio clips on push?
Pls don't say RTFM I am! :o

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Jbvdb wrote:I can only seem to find info about recording clip automation
Thx
This M4L device would sure help you.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
Jbvdb wrote:I can only seem to find info about recording clip automation
Thx
This M4L device would sure help you.
Nice plug!
Actually this does seem interesting!
But I am fairly sure I did this with push 1 and can't seem to remember how
Anyone?!

timothyallan

Arrange Automation Recording

Post by timothyallan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:18 am

So I'm hoping I'm overlooking something:

I want to record automation into session view using P2, not a clip, just automation. I have existing clips.

Because Push2 automagically record arms whatever track I select, whenever I try and record arrange automation, it overwrites my existing clip in arrangement view. The only way I can record automation in arrange without making a new clip is to turn the input off for every track I want to record on... I then of course can't use my normal keyboard controller to play that anymore unless I enable the input again.

Please tell me this isn't what everyone else is doing?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Arrangement view automation

Post by [jur] » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:58 am

Topic merged with a similar one from the last week. Please use the search function before posting. Thanks.
Do you have overdub turned on?
Ableton Forum Moderator

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:40 pm

[jur] wrote:Topic merged with a similar one from the last week. Please use the search function before posting. Thanks.
Do you have overdub turned on?
Yup, overdub turned on/off gives me the same result.

The thread you've merged my questions with tells me (and everyone else) the only way to record in arrange view with Push2 is to purchase a 3rd party Max4Live device, can you confirm that?

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:23 am

Are you using the automation arm button on push?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:43 am

Nope, because that starts up session view automation and turns off my arrangement for that channel.

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:54 pm

How come Push 2 doesn't record automation in arrangement view?

I have it armed and the parameter is responding to the lane but not recording.

Am I missing a trick?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Just tested it, and I can record automation just fine into arrangement view from Push 2.

I'm using the latest Beta.

Push's AUTOMATION button is on (red).

I started recording by pressing SHIFT+RECORD.

The track is not armed necessarily. (except via Push's auto-arm).

No M4L or other tomfoolery.

The record button pulsates red when recording in arrangement, unlike session, where it stays red.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Sure, but it also overwrites your clip in arrangement view.

So yes, you've answered the OP's question, but mine still isn't solved. I'm still wondering why my original thread was merged with this one :?

I'm just going to assume that you can't record automation in arrangement view via Push 2 without overwriting the existing clip.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Yeah it seems so. I can record automation independently to Session and Arrangement, without one affecting the other, but in order not to overwrite the existing arrangement clips, you must have the Back to Arrangement button activated, whether overdub is active or not. If nothing is playing in Session view it will record blank space into arrangement, and if a clip is playing, that will replace whatever is in arrangement as well.

They will need to add a back to arrangement button if you don't want to use the mouse for this one step, or map it to a convenient button.

EDIT: Just MIDImap the back to arrangement button to Push's USER button (unless you're using that for something else). Now with two quick presses (one to enter User mode and go back to arrangement mode) and again to return to normal Push mode.

You'll need to turn on "Remote" for Push 2 in Live's MIDI preferences to MIDI map in User mode.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:16 am

tedlogan wrote:Yeah it seems so. I can record automation independently to Session and Arrangement, without one affecting the other, but in order not to overwrite the existing arrangement clips, you must have the Back to Arrangement button activated, whether overdub is active or not. If nothing is playing in Session view it will record blank space into arrangement, and if a clip is playing, that will replace whatever is in arrangement as well.

They will need to add a back to arrangement button if you don't want to use the mouse for this one step, or map it to a convenient button.

EDIT: Just MIDImap the back to arrangement button to Push's USER button (unless you're using that for something else). Now with two quick presses (one to enter User mode and go back to arrangement mode) and again to return to normal Push mode.

You'll need to turn on "Remote" for Push 2 in Live's MIDI preferences to MIDI map in User mode.

What a huge ball ache. Then of course, you don't get any sort of "Blue hand" automapping that the Push is really good at.

So just for future people Googling this:

As of Live 9.5.1: No, you cannot record automation with Push 2 in arrangement mode without overwriting your existing recorded material.

The only way record automation passes over material you've recorded is to turn Push 2 into a standard MIDI controller via "User Mode", map a control to the parameter you want to control, and do your automation pass. You'll need to do this manually for every single track/control you want to automate.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:23 am

Have you tried the mapping method though? You only have to map it once, and save it as part of your template set. Mapping it takes a few seconds.

From hereon, pressing your custom Back-to-arrangement button literally takes one second.

Of course an official button would be better for completion's sake, but it won't be any quicker.

hmm..it actually works quite nicely - I shall keep it in my template set.