Push 2 display lag when drumming in Drum Rack

Discuss Push with other users.
fobulousguy

Push 2 display lag when drumming in Drum Rack

Post by fobulousguy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:24 am

So the audio is fine, but the display doesn't refresh as fast as the samples when playing the drum rack. Is this something that might be possible to correct with future updates or is this something not possible?

Hers an example: look at this video at 2:50. You can clearly see there is a display refresh lag after he hits the drum pad. This is exactly what I have. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GpoUtfHagA4

salmonito

Re: Push 2 display lag when drumming in Drum Rack

Post by salmonito » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:01 pm

I wonder about this too. Another video demonstrating the lag. https://youtu.be/JLWPmF27P-E?t=233

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm

...i wonder what would change if you'd see the waveform "faster"...when i'm drumming/playing i don't care about the sound's waveform...
i reckon this is to save cpu power...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

fobulousguy

Post by fobulousguy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:33 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...i wonder what would change if you'd see the waveform "faster"...when i'm drumming/playing i don't care about the sound's waveform...
i reckon this is to save cpu power...
It wouldn't change how I drum, but it is a detail that kind of irks me. Lag is never something I'd like to see in a particular device like this.

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:39 pm

hi,
the slow display is also in the way if you wanna use FX like tweaking drum sounds quickly while playing,
i.e. tuning the pitch shift etc...

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:01 am

Is this a bug or something fixable?

Sounds very off-putting.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:04 am

weak :x

maky355

Post by maky355 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:56 pm

I am shocked that some of you are finding this to be "lag". I mean it isn't lighting fast but certainly it is not any kind of showstopper - come on it's under second or within a second range...beside that do you look at your music when creating music or do you hear and feel it?

If your creativity depend on some kind of subsecond but not above 1ms display rendering then you are setting up yourself for a failure imho

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:53 pm

I just purchased a push 2 today and having the same issue it's not going to stop you from using it but it is something that needs to be fixed. I contacted support with a video of the issue hopefully they'll get a firmware update out soon to fix this.

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:33 pm

RDiiO wrote:I just purchased a push 2 today and having the same issue it's not going to stop you from using it but it is something that needs to be fixed. I contacted support with a video of the issue hopefully they'll get a firmware update out soon to fix this.
Please let us know what they tell you! Cheers

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:55 am

jobinho wrote:
RDiiO wrote:I just purchased a push 2 today and having the same issue it's not going to stop you from using it but it is something that needs to be fixed. I contacted support with a video of the issue hopefully they'll get a firmware update out soon to fix this.
The only response I got so far was to reset Live and see if that resolved the issue, tried it but still the same lag I made them aware that there were other users experiencing the same issue. They did say that lag issue is not normal definitely not supposed to be happening and I sent over a status report to them so hopefully this is something can get fixed quickly. I'll update when I hear back from them

fobulousguy

Post by fobulousguy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:12 pm

RDiiO wrote:
jobinho wrote:
The only response I got so far was to reset Live and see if that resolved the issue, tried it but still the same lag I made them aware that there were other users experiencing the same issue. They did say that lag issue is not normal definitely not supposed to be happening and I sent over a status report to them so hopefully this is something can get fixed quickly. I'll update when I hear back from them
Thanks, I'll send over a support request also. Just wanted to confirm that mine wasn't an isolated hardware issue.

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Here's the reply from Ableton Support:

"Hi again,

Thanks for the reply and for providing the additional video. I checked with some colleagues about this and the behavior is actually expected. I tested as well on my own Push unit and was able to replicate your video exactly.

When using certain features in Push 2, in this case a Drum Rack containing many slices in Simplers, there is a delay added when finger drumming. In other words, when you hit a new pad, there is a short delay before the screen updates, although the pads update immediately. The reason for this is that if you are rapidly drumming the pads, and the screen updates immediately on every hit, this is much more taxing on system resources.

The slight delay ensures smoother and consistent performance.

Hopefully this isn't too inconvenient. I have gone ahead and tagged your case appropriately so the Push developers can see your feedback on this particular design element.

Let me know if you have any questions about this"

I'm hoping the developers jump on this I definitely understand it's new device new screen tons of stuff running but if there is no delay in the simpler mode when playing the pads it shouldn't be in the drumrack mode either but I know the great ableton development team is listening sure we'll see some kind of firmware update in the future to address it.

fobulousguy

Post by fobulousguy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:22 pm

That reply actually makes it seem like it's not going to be fixed.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:40 pm

fobulousguy wrote:That reply actually makes it seem like it's not going to be fixed.
yeah, it doesn't lend itself to a sense of urgency.