Elysia Mpressor experiences?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Elysia Mpressor experiences?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Anyone using this one? Elysia Mpressor. Any good?

I'd try it, but time is limited so good to hear what others think. Also, with 13 compressors I want to tell myself I don't need another. Can you develop a compressor dependency?
Make some music!

granted

Re: Elysia Mpressor experiences?

Post by granted » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Anyone using this one? Elysia Mpressor. Any good?

I'd try it, but time is limited so good to hear what others think. Also, with 13 compressors I want to tell myself I don't need another. Can you develop a compressor dependency?
You always need another compressor especially an XtReMe KomPresSor :) like the Mpressor! It does good all around compression but it will also do extreme pumping type compression if wanted/needed.
Pros: Has features that no other compressors have. Sounds good.
Cons: Must have spectacular eyesight to read tiny GUI numbers. Also slightly more complex than other compressors I have.
You likely already know that you can try it out for 14 days.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 pm

granted wrote: You always need another compressor especially an XtReMe KomPresSor :) like the Mpressor! It does good all around compression but it will also do extreme pumping type compression if wanted/needed.
Pros: Has features that no other compressors have. Sounds good.
Cons: Must have spectacular eyesight to read tiny GUI numbers. Also slightly more complex than other compressors I have.
You likely already know that you can try it out for 14 days.
Thanks for your response. I'll probably fit it into my schedule with the intention of not buying. Guess how that approach worked out last time.
Make some music!

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:15 pm

honestly,

elysia is the best hardware company around.. but they go for transparency... they literally try to make a transparent signal.. (no coloration or unwanted saturation or distortion)

As a result in the digital domain, I won't underplay their tools because if I could afford all of the elysia compressor plugins I would buy them, but I would prioritize the fab filter pro c 2 with all of its different compression settings.

However, I think this is something ableton 10 will maybe look at. A lot of companies are making compressors with different styles in one unit, klevgrand and fabfilter come to mind, not to mention logic pros amazing stock compressor, and we even had a little of it in live 8 compressor vs 9 we just have rms and peak but we also have glue now. I think it would be cool to maybe give us more compressor setting in live 10. Maybe if they can do the GUI right make glue a setting in the compressor with the press of a button.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 pm

pinkpaint wrote:honestly,

I could afford all of the elysia compressor plugins I would buy them, .
It's 79 dollars now at Plugin Alliance, down from 199, think that's why he's asking I think .

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:01 am

pinkpaint wrote:honestly,
elysia is the best hardware company around.. but they go for transparency... they literally try to make a transparent signal.. (no coloration or unwanted saturation or distortion)
Yes, I have also the Waves C1 that does something very transparent. Unfortunately as great as the C1 sounds this is one of the Waves units not supporting Side-chaining at all in Live. I'm not sure about the technical reasons for this but if I have understood Waves correctly they will provided Live gets VST3 support.

It would seem I currently have 18 (!) compressors in use, where perhaps the free but professional compressor Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov, potentially is closest to the possible use as what I'd guess I'd use Mpressor for. I haven't used it much yet.

The mid/side functionality of Mpressor seems interesting.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:02 am

PHY6 wrote:It's 79 dollars now at Plugin Alliance, down from 199, think that's why he's asking I think .
Exactly.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:49 am

Kotelnikov is a amazing, probably the only compressor I find myself reaching for these days.

I've love a hardware mpressor though :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:10 am

Tarekith wrote:Kotelnikov is a amazing, probably the only compressor I find myself reaching for these days
It does seem very interesting.
Tarekith wrote:
I've love a hardware mpressor though :)
Not this software variety? I only plan to use hardware for recording, never for mixing.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I've been debating putting together a 500 rack with a bunch of the Elysia models for my mastering chain. Some of those are only available in hardware unfortunately, but at the same time I'm not sure I want to revisit hardware mastering again.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Not wanting to be an enabler but....you got MJUC?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:03 pm

muthafunka wrote:Not wanting to be an enabler but....you got MJUC?
I got the Jr.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Kotelnikov
nice. thanks 8)