What annoys you about Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.
Citizen

What annoys you about Push 2?

Post by Citizen » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:47 am

Sorry for the *slightly* :P negative subject title, but I'm keen to hear what peoples main issues with the Push 2 are.

After jumping in too early re. Push 1, and finding its shortcomings a bit much, I'm just keen to get the full picture on Push 2 before committing the dollars to it.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

lyovino

Re: What annoys you about Push 2?

Post by lyovino » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:21 am

Nothings perfect, everything has shortcomings. Push2 blows Push1 out of the water. jmo
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 am

Yeah, I understand that. the main thing that was bugging me was trying to develop workrounds so I could browse my VSTs and own samples - but it ended up being more work than it was worth, I think.

At least they have remedied those aspects, yes?

I'm not hating on Push 1 at all – Ableton really came with a killer piece of hardware – its just that it was a little rough round the edges for those who are used to the smoothness of the Maschine workflow. (as I am)

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:50 am

#1 issue on my P2? Tap Tempo Button...

ash1

Post by ash1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:25 am

i find the pads easier to play and the dust problem has gone
not to mention the colour screen is fantastic
i dont use tap tempo so i dont have an issue with that
if you can get a hands on demo that would be best before you pull the trigger
the build is solid i dont have any issues with the push 2

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 am

Yeah, I'm going to a demo night tomorrow night, and will def give it a good solid checking out before purchase. Was a *little* too keen with Push 1 :P

Syver

Post by Syver » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 am

I still do not like the rubbery buttons.

They feel very soft and fragile.

I do not know how long they will last.

For the rest so far so good.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 am

Citizen wrote:Yeah, I understand that. the main thing that was bugging me was trying to develop workrounds so I could browse my VSTs and own samples - but it ended up being more work than it was worth, I think.

At least they have remedied those aspects, yes?

I'm not hating on Push 1 at all – Ableton really came with a killer piece of hardware – its just that it was a little rough round the edges for those who are used to the smoothness of the Maschine workflow. (as I am)
Still dithering here as well.

As far as I know:

-you can now preview and load your own samples
-you cannot load clips (I really hope they add this capability, and not a clue why it's not implemented yet)
-VSTs - you can browse them, but it's almost useless, as you still have to go to the mouse or keyboard to browse their presets, unless you're using the AU (Mac) format. VSTs - only some expose their presets to the DAW, no idea which ones do this. Urs from U-he mentioned they might be looking into it...so for now, it's still either racking-up of presets or using a M4L patch browser-capable device.

[art]

Post by [art] » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:41 am

The thing is the things that Push 2 is now good at make it easy to see how it could be better at other things. Of course, i don't expect the world from Push, but its easy to see how the screen now makes it possible to add more features easily. But my gripes aren't really limited to Push 2, its the same on Push 1.

Missing features for me:

Browsing opening and saving live sets.

Track routing / naming / moving

Drum rack return and send control

Group and ungroup / fold into instrument rack (could easily be under the 'convert' button

Macro Mapping

Once Push gets there it is well on the way to a fully fledged Ableton Live controller machine.

All these things in the meantime require mouse and keyboard control.
Last edited by [art] on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:41 am

tedlogan wrote:-you cannot load clips (I really hope they add this capability, and not a clue why it's not implemented yet)
-VSTs - you can browse them, but it's almost useless, as you still have to go to the mouse or keyboard to browse their presets, unless you're using the AU (Mac) format. VSTs - only some expose their presets to the DAW, no idea which ones do this. Urs from U-he mentioned they might be looking into it...so for now, it's still either racking-up of presets or using a M4L patch browser-capable device.
ah - this is useful information. Thanks for the insight

drez

Post by drez » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:03 pm

I own both P1 and now P2, so I feel like the workflow has been vastly improved. The changes to simpler make it even more of an instrument and being able to graphically edit things while playing and sequencing with pads is just killer. The pads are a fantastic upgrade from 1, much less strain on my hands.

I would really like the option to be able to have the simpler be able to slice to a set grid number by hitting "shift+<grid size>" like 1/8th, 16th, 32nd, etc. This way you could instantly slice your sample by time instead of transient. But really, that's about all I feel like I'd like at this point.

This is strictly my opinion, but I really enjoy P2 as is. I can see where people want more out of it, like routing, sidechain setup, etc. But IMO, those things are best done on the computer itself. It would take me far longer to do that on the Push then to just do it quickly with my mouse and keeping my creative flow going. Setting up routing seems much more tedious to do on a small screen and scrolling around. If what I'm doing on Push isn't directly about making the music itself, then I feel its taking away from the playability of it. At this point, it feels like a really nice balance. Every parameter I have control of directly effects the music I am making, which is why I bought Push... to write and play music. The editing of that music still feels best done on the computer.

Its an idea factory.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:12 pm

drez wrote:
Its an idea factory.
Bingo. That's where I have had to train myself to remember that it can do a lot but the PC is best for the actual "work", Push is good for the ideas to get started.

The biggest setback from my point of getting ideas down has to be the lack of accessing VST presets because that is a big part of most ideas hunting. Of course accessing Live content is simple but I spent months to make all my VSTs browsable creating preset banks and am currently doing the same for Komplete Kontrol.... Akai seem to be on the right track in that department because that actually does work as expected.

I'd be happy to setup a factory to pump out preset banks for all VSTs if Ableton wants to buy me licenses to run on my developer machine (file tagging would make this better though... hint, hint) :)

login

Post by login » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:47 am

For me there are two things that are annoying because IMHO P1 did them better:

1.- Mute/solo momentary toggle, it was better as permanent toggle.

2.- Themute+device button combo to deactivate device.

Ithink they should have added a third row of buttons instead of changing how one of them worked.

Apart from that I am very happpy, I like to embrace stuff with their limitations, specially if, as push does, improves my workflow and allow for faster results.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:11 am

[art] wrote:The thing is the things that Push 2 is now good at make it easy to see how it could be better at other things. Of course, i don't expect the world from Push, but its easy to see how the screen now makes it possible to add more features easily. But my gripes aren't really limited to Push 2, its the same on Push 1.

Missing features for me:

Group and ungroup / fold into instrument rack (could easily be under the 'convert' button

Try Shift and the track Select switch..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

[art]

Post by [art] » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:25 am

lyovino wrote:
[art] wrote:The thing is the things that Push 2 is now good at make it easy to see how it could be better at other things. Of course, i don't expect the world from Push, but its easy to see how the screen now makes it possible to add more features easily. But my gripes aren't really limited to Push 2, its the same on Push 1.

Missing features for me:

Try Shift and the track Select switch..

Hmm. I mean, I create a track with an operator, delay and a reverb, and then want to 'group' that into an Instrument rack.

Anyways, I have another one.

Previewing doesn't work as you would expect, which another thread reminded me about.

Previewing only plays some kind of default stab or pattern.

For instance if I have an operator and press browse, and then navigate the sounds, it doesn't actually preview to the currently playing midi clip, it just previews random defaults stabs or whatever.

Thats a shame and I hope it goes the other way soon.