Reasons for keeping Push 1, please add yours

Discuss Push with other users.
sowhoso

Re: Reasons for keeping Push 1, please add yours

Post by sowhoso » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:11 pm

I still have my P1 and it's not up for sale.

Get your hands on a P2 and you will see that the price is not inflated. Overall workflow is very much improved. More music making less fiddling... Hard to put a price on that

Btw, I paid $680 USD at musicians friend

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everybody. I really appreciate it.

One thing I've been thinking is that out of a commercial perspective it's tad strange to not make multiple Pushes possible as that would make it very enticing to get another Push for some people at least. The 2nd could be denoted to an instrument controller, so the primary governs transport and the like.

Another aspect is whether the new Push 2 is faster in operation than the older one. Or is this only a CPU thing?
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Well, I've stated my reasons for hanging on to Push 1. I must also be out of my fucking mind as I just spent a few hundred quid on Push 2 while I'm drowning in bills.

My lil brother was very much looking forward to me bringing him my V1 (he lives in Mauritius and importing anything costs a ludicrous amount), so I didn't want to disappoint him, and it's a great reason to pin a goodguybadge to my chest, and make myself not sigh too much about spending hundreds on a convert button and a gorgeous screen. Mainly. Plus the person I'm buying it through might not work where he works forever (20% discount), and Push V1 will be selling for very little eventually. Might as well sell it to my brother for £150.

I can only pick it up next week, but I won't say I'm not looking forward to it.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 am

tedlogan wrote:It's not me! It's outside forces!
That sounds a bit like my "But I had a coupon!". I just realized I own three software products I paid for when price was lower and never opened. I suspect they're great too.

I'm just going to get WmWare Fusion this black friday. I'm just going to… [repeat ad infinitum].
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am

Stromkraft wrote:
tedlogan wrote:It's not me! It's outside forces!
That sounds a bit like my "But I had a coupon!". I just realized I own three software products I paid for when price was lower and never opened. I suspect they're great too.

I'm just going to get WmWare Fusion this black friday. I'm just going to… [repeat ad infinitum].
Yes. I absolve myself of all events and actions that led to me buying Push 2. I was turned into an infidel consumerist pig by forces beyond my control.

It's the only gear I've bought all year, including software purchases, so why the hell not :)

[art]

Post by [art] » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 am

I have read some people love the pads on push 2 more.

I think i did realise it today.

On push 1 i always turned the sensitivity down to like, -14, but id always get stuck pads.

Now its like push 2 is -14 by default, with no stuck pads ever.

Its a subtle thing that you dont really notice, but in the end just goes toward making the instrument more of a joy to use i think.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:40 pm

tedlogan wrote:
Yes. I absolve myself of all events and actions that led to me buying Push 2. I was turned into an infidel consumerist pig by forces beyond my control.
me too..:)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm slightly in awe of Push 2 being so used to Push 1 - when it lit up the first time tonight I was, and still am, very impressed. It oozes quality and is up quite a few levels above Push 1 in every regard, except the occasional pad-velocity bug (throwing out a full 127-strong velocity when hitting very softly sometimes), the touchstrip needing to be operated in the centre (which is no big deal), and having to use two hands to mute devices. Ah yes, aftertouch at present is no where near as easily controlled as with Push 1.

It will take me some time to retrain my muscle memory - I was very used to and fast in interacting with the old screen. The new one is a billion times better though, and I'll be up to speed in no time.

There's a lot to gush about, but I can't be asked to type this post any further due to sudden withdrawal symptoms.

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm

Isn't this thread meant to be reasons for keeping the Push 1? I'm not seeing any reasons!!

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:52 am

blof_eld wrote:Isn't this thread meant to be reasons for keeping the Push 1? I'm not seeing any reasons!!
One reason is that you don't want to give the Puah 1 to schools to help create further competition in the future :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:53 am

blof_eld wrote:Isn't this thread meant to be reasons for keeping the Push 1? I'm not seeing any reasons!!
You are on a company forum, most people here are hopelessly devoted to Ableton.

Here's my other reason for keeping Push 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I04LXUNNrpY

The Raven allows you to work with other DAWs, and directly with the plug in interface.
So for $200 more I get to keep Push 1, and very arguably get an even more immersive studio experience.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 am

I think the only real reason for keeping Push 1 long term is that you've really bonded with it. That is, you've integrated it into your workflow, it does everything you want it to do, nothing about it really annoys you, and you use it often. You're confident that Ableton will continue to support it for as long as it matters to you. If that's the case, then there's really no reason to switch.

There are lots of valid reasons to not switch right now. Financial cost (you don't have the money now, you're sure the price will come down, used units will start showing up in a few months.) You want to wait until the bugs are worked out. You have projects to finish and don't want to mess with your setup until then. You use some 3rd party add-on for P1 that isn't available yet for P2. Etc.

I think keeping Push 1 would be much more compelling if Push 2 were merely an incremental improvement over Push 1, say, like an iPhone 5 vs an iPhone 6. But IMHO, Push 2 is a significant improvement over Push 1. If you like the Push concept, I think Push 2 is the way to go in the long run.

Argh! Even when I try to provide a reason to keep 1, I end up pushing 2. :P (see what I did there?)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:30 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:You use some 3rd party add-on for P1 that isn't available yet for P2. Etc.
Bingo! I like using Push 1 with DP9 and PXT General for controlling Maschine, Kontakt and Battery percussion pads.
I think keeping Push 1 would be much more compelling if Push 2 were merely an incremental improvement over Push 1, say, like an iPhone 5 vs an iPhone 6. But IMHO, Push 2 is a significant improvement over Push 1. If you like the Push concept, I think Push 2 is the way to go in the long run.
and there you have it, I'm not that sold on the Push concept. I basically got Push on a lark, was just looking to replace a Launchpad that was stolen from the back of my truck. I gave it a go, and like it OK, but I don't think that Push 2 even is going to prove to be that useful with third party plug ins. Not anywhere as useful as the Raven is for sure. As it stands my favorite Push features work fine in Push one, automation, drums, and launching scenes.

Maybe in a year or so I'll be excited about it when more than just Simpler can use it's LED display, but I'm not holding my breath. I mean that's the basic problem I have with Live and Push, I've never been that sold on Suite, it simply has nothing on my third party plug ins, and deep integration of software instruments I'm not that into just doesn't excite me. Compared to Zebra, Diva, Falcon, Kontakt, Loom, Hive, Massive, Reaktor, etc. Suite is pretty simple and basic. Not trying to insult Ableton, just facts.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 am

Machinesworking wrote:Here's my other reason for keeping Push 1:
8O DamN
Machinesworking wrote:was just looking to replace a Launchpad that was stolen from the back of my truck.
WTF was it doing there?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:10 am

H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Here's my other reason for keeping Push 1:
8O DamN
Machinesworking wrote:was just looking to replace a Launchpad that was stolen from the back of my truck.
WTF was it doing there?
I was about to leave SF, the the truckbed has a canopy, it was locked, they bent the hatch. Junkies are fun. :?

The Raven is impressive isn't it? The 27" stand alone model is down to $999 now, they were introduced at $2,500, and the 30" model embedded in a desk is ridiculously expensive still. What's funny is what Slate things is the instant win, drum pads... :lol: Why they start with that I don't know?

I think anyone who uses more than Live plug ins, who works in other DAWs sometimes would be foolish not to take a look at keeping Push 1 for the launching, performance functions, and buying a Slate Raven instead.