Browsing your own samples - best Push 2 workflows?

Discuss Push with other users.
Citizen

Browsing your own samples - best Push 2 workflows?

Post by Citizen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 am

I'm 90% sold on Push 2, but the one thing I am concerned about is the workflow for browsing your own samples. :roll: Tarekith touches on the shortcomings of this aspect in his excellent review video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpXjZrVq9c

Being that you cannot tag samples, what is the best workflow for organising/browsing your own samples?

It seems that Push can only categorise samples according to which folder they reside it. Meaning if I have a sample library that has ALL the drum samples in ONE folder, the workaround would be to create a duplicate 'Ableton Only' folder, in which I would manually create subfolders for different drum types?

Or create 128s of drum types, which was my no-so-perfect Push 1 workaround?

What is the best workflow for this?
Alternatively, do you think that we will ever see true tagging in Live?

molefonken

Re: Browsing your own samples - best Push 2 workflows?

Post by molefonken » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:28 pm

bump

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

I've ditched the "live library" for the most part because of this and created my own. I simply use the user folder and set all my own sub folders in there for everything. I have also copied all the content from live into there and all my vest presets so no matter what format its in I can lookup drums > electronic kits and see by folder the instrument it belongs to or the sample kits I have available or the live racks... It's taken a good 12 months to build and arrange but it was worth it. Was for push 1 but the push 2 browser is so much better.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:02 pm

For my own samples I do it on my own outside of the Live library as well, that way no matter what app I'm using when I need a sample, it's all organized into folders already. And of course trimmed to include only the really good samples.

A lot of people didn't realize that, in my review, the reason I had so many samples in one folder was that's just how they are when you install live packs, and you can't change that. I got so many emails from people telling me to just sort my library and not save so many samples thinking that was my personal sample collection :lol:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 am

Tarekith wrote:For my own samples I do it on my own outside of the Live library as well, that way no matter what app I'm using when I need a sample, it's all organized into folders already. And of course trimmed to include only the really good samples.
Hmmm…. this will require some rethinking of my sample-orgnisational strategy. I've already spent a HUGE amount of time tagging my samples for use in Maschine. :oops: Subsequently, I haven't sorted out my library in Maschine 2.0, because you have to do it all over again.

Maybe now is a good time to start…. :roll:

Moving them into new folders etc will definitely wreck all of that, along with a pretty elaborate and effective tagging methodology that enabled me to browse by several different attributes in Maschine (ie. browsing for kicks from across ALL libraries, or individual libraries).

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:20 am

Just so I'm clear, are you creating subfolders within various sample library folders? (ie. modifying the structure of the folder organisation from how they are structured in a commercial library/sample pack) Is that right?

I don't suppose you would be kinda enough to share a screen grab of an indicative file structure from your library Tarekith? Its a loooooong process, so i'd prefer to follow the lead from someone who has thought about this already. :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:48 am

Not sure if this is a help for you but here is the library I use:

It's mainly aimed at Live but I have everything in completely individual folders and even drum kits (such as battery and Live kits) I have the kits as racks for Live, Kits as just raw samples and the individual samples also further sorted into additional categories.

The whole point was if I want a sound, lets say a Clap, there are so many locations and instruments I have that a clap could live so now it's a lot easier. Maintaining this though is a challenge as any new content I have to organise into this but it's proven way more productive than just random locations and packs full of stuff and I managed to simply chuck a heap of old samples i'd never use these days.

kompletemail

Post by kompletemail » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:24 am

looks like you may need more cowbell.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 am

http://postimage.org/

That's more or less how I do it. Some of those folders in the sample folder are for a specific project I'm working on right now, it's normally a bit more streamlined.
Tarekith

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 am

Tarekith wrote:Image
http://postimage.org/

That's more or less how I do it. Some of those folders in the sample folder are for a specific project I'm working on right now, it's normally a bit more streamlined.
Sorry, Tarekith – I don't suppose you would be able to reupload that image? (the link has expired)

Finally getting around to fixing up the sad state of my folder organisation. :roll:

(although, it worked fine for browsing tagged samples in Maschine, ahem.)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Sorry, I have since trashed all my samples in an effort to start from scratch :)
Tarekith

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 am

Tarekith wrote:Sorry, I have since trashed all my samples in an effort to start from scratch :)
Haha... :lol:

...well, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts behind this, and of course, the organisational system you employ moving forward. 8O