Mastered file clipping master channel but not other DAWS?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonpie

Mastered file clipping master channel but not other DAWS?

Post by moonpie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:44 am

Hi all,

Seeking some knowledge -

I've recently had some tracks mastered but it's clipping the channel and master fader by a large amount - +2.37dB. Other mastered files either hit 0dB or peak slightly above at 0.18dB.

I then tried my mastered tracks in Studio One - but they stay under 0dB (I think -0.16dB) and other mastered tracks sit at around -0.40dB.

What is causing this discrepancy? What's right/wrong? What specifications will I ask the masterer to avoid this?

Tarekith

Re: Mastered file clipping master channel but not other DAWS?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Turn off warping on the song after you drag it into Live.

:wink:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 pm

on a related note, i use K-Meter in unsampling mode and i've noticed that a lot of mastered tracks actually have intersample peaks.

http://www.meterplugs.com/kmeter

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

People want loud :)

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Tarekith wrote:Turn off warping on the song after you drag it into Live.

:wink:
Ha, I checked but it's definitely not on. (I've set it to not warp long samples)

I've figured out what the issue is. I've an EQ8 on each channel by default - with a high pass at 30hz. For some reason - this seems to boost things up to 3dBs and unbalance the file. I always assumed the EQ would be passive and not affect the audio, especially a master, but it seems to have a significant effect.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Even a cut with an EQ produces a small boost around the cutoff frequency. For a high pass filter it's typically above the cut off, for a low pass typically it's below the cutoff. This is true for almost any EQ, not just Live's.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Tarekith wrote:Even a cut with an EQ produces a small boost around the cutoff frequency. For a high pass filter it's typically above the cut off, for a low pass typically it's below the cutoff. This is true for almost any EQ, not just Live's.

Thanks for your help, yes I remember reading that and know it's not an issue solely with Live. Useful to know going forward!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:13 pm

moonpie wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Even a cut with an EQ produces a small boost around the cutoff frequency. For a high pass filter it's typically above the cut off, for a low pass typically it's below the cutoff. This is true for almost any EQ, not just Live's.

Thanks for your help, yes I remember reading that and know it's not an issue solely with Live. Useful to know going forward!
essentially there is no such thing as a perfect filter, there are always artifacts created. the main difference between the most common types of audio EQs (minimum phase and linear phase) is the kind of artifacts produced...