Complementing Push 2 with another controller

Discuss Push with other users.
spagbol

Complementing Push 2 with another controller

Post by spagbol » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi,

Im just wondering what Controllers (for controlling effects, etc) would compliment Push 2? Ive seen Livid DS1 in action, seems good, what are other comparable controllers like? Say NovationLaunchpad, or Akai APC 40 Mk 2 for instance. Which gives you the best bang for your buck.
Or is Push 2 on its own enough in some peoples views?
Cheers
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

scheffkoch

Re: Complementing Push 2 with another controller

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 pm

...i'd recommend push2 + touchable on ipad...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Hmmm, I dont envisage me buying an iPad tbh.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 pm

I just purchased the Arturia Colllection and am delighted with the synth collection (and the way NKS is impemeted), but discovered that neither Push 2 or Maschine are good at controlling Spark 2; in fact, both suck; not only are most of the functions missing, but Spark 2 crashes in Maschine and Live beta.
Serious crahses.

But Spark 2 seems pretty stable just as a VST in Live.... so...

I have a Beatstep Pro on the way, so am going to try it out - actually Spark 2 is pretty well implemented as a step sequencer, and the Pro was only $50 more than the Spark LE.

(I wonder if Ableton will ever fix their browser so it works with NKS)....

For just clip launching, I use an APC Mini, with Stray's implementation of Session Overview (at present dysfunctional because of Python 2.7 in the betas, but I use 9.5 on gigs, since I don't need the Push 2 for that....).

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 pm

i chime in even though i don't have push2 yet
but having used it a couple of times already i know i will complement push2 (which i will buy next year) with the same controllers i use now along push1 since a bit more than one year now:
novation launch control and launch control XL.

The reason is that i want, both in studio and on stage, one-knob-per-function accessibility. I don't have to switch pages on push to change a track's level (and I need faders to set levels, i don't like mixing with knobs) or to mute/solo or even select tracks, I can do it from the launch control XL, which is mapped in factory mode, controlling mixer and sends.
This way, push mostly stays in clip launching and device mode during my live set, so I can tweak my softsynths and launch clips, and the occasional on the fly programming in step sequencer mode.

The launch control is set in user mode and it is manually mapped to some general effects of my live set, like the hipass on the master, the feedback of the delay return and some other functions I need to have access to without switching pages on push.

both controllers are relatively cheap and after having used them a lot both in studio and on stage i have to say the build quality is very good, well built and rugged, despite being very light.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:17 pm

LaunchControl XL does everything for my channel strips... I won't plug what i use it with but needless to say that with the push and its screen and the hands on of the LCXXL i've got my whole session covered....

Cheers
D

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm

scheffkoch wrote:...i'd recommend push2 + touchable on ipad...
Could you elaborate why?
In what ways does one benefit the other?

I have Touchable but it, along with just about every other iOS audio/midi app, hasn't moved me to adopt it full time.
Push 2, on the other hand, has become a permanent fixture.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 pm

I have the following in my setup:

- Push 2
- Komplete S61 Keyboard
- Touchable
- Launchpad
- Mackie MCU

For controlling devices with ease Push is the best and most used gizmo I have followed equally by my beloved MCU which kind of does everything control wise but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know why you need it.

The iPad and Touchable are neat but I actually rarely use it. The features are great but honestly the interface to me seems cluttered and just too much going on and though it works for me flawlessly (havent tested in 9.5 tho...) when I am playing and just want to reach for a tweak of my attack or a filter sweep it's a tough thing to achieve reliably while playing with one hand and trying to flick through pages and get your finger in the correct position. Downside of touch. I use it mainly as a way to control a few things from where my Keyboard is away from the monitors.

The K61S (once you do the setup for your Live set and instruments) is great and there are simply some things I prefer the keyboard for.

Almost all "auto mapping" controllers will limit you to the 8 controls so if you want real tactile control over all your ADSR and filters at once then you will be looking at a solution you will have to manually map. I use to use a Korg nanoKontrol for direct device mapping but rarely bother now because the lack of any display or feedback makes it tough.

I would absolutely Love something like this:

But not that specifically. Something like Push but with lots of controls and feedback

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:05 am

I would love faders! To complement mine, like nice proper motorized faders that would be the shits!

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:43 pm

"In what ways does one benefit the other?"

...i prefer touchable's clip edit view over push's step sequencer...i could achieve other functions also with a launchpad for example but touchable + push 2 just look so damn good...ha...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:12 pm

I found LK from http://www.imaginando.pt/ to be pretty good, and thats using it on Android phone connecting to Mac, which usually has all sorts of problems, but worked for me fairly quickly and easily.

recyclinglostcities

Post by recyclinglostcities » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:39 am

Although I've had my Push 2 for a couple days now and it covers pretty much everything I need in a Live controller, I think I'll hold on to my original Launchpad simply because the resale value is shit on it (got mine brand new on release day for $200), and it's still really useful for launching clips without changing views on Push. I'll keep the Novation a Remote SL 37 as well, as it picks up almost all the same parameters as Push 2 thanks to the option.txt file (except newer parameters in Live) and provides a different playing/mixing experience, has a great keybed, and is killer for controlling hardware.

I only got to use Touchable for a few days before it crashed after the 9.5 release, but in conjunction with Push 2 it might give you enough simultaneous control options that you wouldn't need anything else.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:55 am

The apc40mk2 covers gives me the hands on physical mixing I like with faders and solo/ mutes in easy reach and requiring only one finger To operate. I always work towards my completed tracks containing no more than 8 tracks I hate bank shifting waste of time imo.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:00 am

Added bonus it does count in record and shift plus play resets arrangement transport. I don't use the a/b fades functionality and accessing sends is a pain. It's almost a one knob fader per function device which is why it makes a great companion device to push 1 or 2.

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:25 pm

I've been using Push 2 alongside my old UC33. I find it really useful when I'm editing a device on Push, and want to adjust track levels without losing focus on the device. UC33 is the MIDI In/Out for the hardware, so it's on most of the time anyway. Cheap knobs and sliders for the masses. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone