Simpler slice mode - so nearly a great tool.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jobinho

Simpler slice mode - so nearly a great tool.

Post by jobinho » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Why no ADSR? Because of space I guess - such a shame.

I like this mode apart from not being able to shape drum sounds properly due to the lack of an amp envelope. The 2 fade params aren't good enough.

Also Thru mode should be polyphonic for more musical playing / sequences. Or just give us a release knob!

Almost a super flexible winning tool - I hope I'm not alone thinking this.

tedlogan

Re: Simpler slice mode - so nearly a great tool.

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:01 am

Right-click on the waveform display and choose slice to drumrack. If using Push 2, press Convert and choose the same. From there you can change each drumrackpad/slice to Classic mode to get access to ADSR controls.

You could probably set "Classic" to be Simpler's default mode when converting to drumrack.

From here on you've got lots more control and endless possibilities.

Edit - just be aware that the pads are all assigned to choke group 1 by default, so the rack will essentially be monophonic across pads, though not necessarily within each Simpler. Fortunately you can change it to None, or whatever you want from Push 2.

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:33 am

tedlogan wrote:Right-click on the waveform display and choose slice to drumrack. If using Push 2, press Convert and choose the same. From there you can change each drumrackpad/slice to Classic mode to get access to ADSR controls.

You could probably set "Classic" to be Simpler's default mode when converting to drumrack.

Edit - just be aware that the pads are all assigned to choke group 1 by default, so the rack will essentially be monophonic across pads, though not necessarily within each Simpler. Fortunately you can change it to None, or whatever you want from Push 2.
Cheers for the tips - thing is I'd want to be able to control the entire rack with one ADSR - is it possible to set up a global ASDR for a whole drumrack?

Maybe using Macro's - if not too longwinded

I still think having an ADSR would simplify things (no punn..) and thru mode not being poly is annoying!!

Thanks again

timday

Post by timday » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:29 am

you can do it with macros pretty easily (i.e. not having to separately map each envelope) if you have the map to siblings option set in the options.txt file.

I don't think any of us understand why that is still in the options.txt and not a standard part of Ableton.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 am

jobinho wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Right-click on the waveform display and choose slice to drumrack. If using Push 2, press Convert and choose the same. From there you can change each drumrackpad/slice to Classic mode to get access to ADSR controls.

Cheers for the tips - thing is I'd want to be able to control the entire rack with one ADSR - is it possible to set up a global ASDR for a whole drumrack?

Maybe using Macro's - if not too longwinded

I still think having an ADSR would simplify things (no punn..) and thru mode not being poly is annoying!!

Thanks again
No worries.

Yes, you can with set up global ADSR with macros as timday explained. I also like controlling a whole rack with global ADSR, though I prefer fine tuning each slice's (once happy with the choice of slices) ADSR independently at this general moment in time. I tend to use Gate for more staccato-like shortened drums as a global control nowadays, while not the same as ADSR, you can still achieve similar and/or interesting results.

mingus77

Post by mingus77 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Ableton still isn´t perfect, but close:)
When importing samples to drum rack it goes right in to 1-shot mode. Annoying!
I need most to be in classic mode to get adar, but then it seems like I have to go through every sample and change?
COPY TO SIBLINGS PLEASE!

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:38 am

copy to siblings? forget that for the moment...why the hell are there no presets for slicing to midi from simpler? Why are we expected to build macros every time? very weird and innefficient. :evil:

We have it for slicing from the browser/clips, but Ableton messed up by not having it for Simpler. two steps forward...one step back...as usual.

I am not optimistic they will add the option of slicing presets, because Push 2 workflow will get broken if they do. And they cannot have that!

As a result of this omission, I simply do not use slicing from simpler. Which is a damn shame. Not what was intended, surely?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection