Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 EVERY TIME!

Discuss Push with other users.
Buleriachk

Re: Push 2 crashes Live 9.5 EVERY TIME!

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:57 pm

lovelight wrote:Next week, after the update 9.5, it has been a month with crash, sky high cpu, unplayable songs made in live 9.2 because of the cpu mayhem. The great update 9.5, and the fantastic push 2 hasent been any pleasure yet, because of the mentioned problems above. Live 9.2 behaved nearly perfect, nearly no crashes, low cpu even in big projects.

i truly love Live and push 2, but for how long are we gonna wait, before we can work and enjoy the new live and the new Push normally again, with a working update that works like 9.2, in stability and workflow ?

best regards
hey, become a beta tester... :)

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 pm

ill do that when other beta testers experience some kind of stability. but my system was perfect before, and im not gonna change it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Beta 9.5.1b2 here. Since switching from 9.5 (which would very rarely give me a blank Push screen but no crashes except when loading a set with M4L LFOs), I've been completely trouble-free. Been doing nothing else but using Push 2 for the last 2 days, performing many different actions - loading sets/clips/samples/instruments/slicing/dicing/VSTing/M4ling/recording/resampling/mixing/tweaking/sounddesigning/laughingwithjoying/etc, with zero hiccups.

My main problem was caused by my antivirus program, Avast. Bluescreen crashed the whole PC as soon as Push was turned on, every time. Perhaps some others are also affected by this. Worth taking a look at.

In general, with Live 9, the beta versions are usually more stable with added functionality in my experience.
Good luck and I hope you get it working reliably - this new Push is incredible.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks ill try it, yes the Push 2 is a beauty :)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:09 pm

The beta works fine for me, no crashes except from Spark 2 from Arturia (running in Maschine VST), and the Maschine control templates are temporarily broken because of the Python 2.7 update. True of most third party control templates.. - Native Kontrol, etc)

That said, switching of my anti-virus (N360) did nothing to help 9.5 (FYI)

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:30 pm

So, ive been running the latest beta for 8 hours, heavely, non stop, and not a single crash :) even push 2 responds much better and faster, thats really great. My hungry cpu vst,s like Serum and diva, is still unplayable because of sky high cpu, old projects also still to high in cpu usage, all worked perfectly in 9.2 with low cpu, so thats still some kind of a hurdle. but so far im very happy and impressed about the improvements.

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

i7 8core, 16gb, win 10, propellerhead Balance

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:33 am

Oh boy, I am now stuck with the same issue. Beta testing time!

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 am

FWIW I found the following: (Win10 Pro, x64)

In Live 9.5, Push 2 crashed consistently, even when I changed audio interfaces (I normally use a Roland GT-001, bu have Scarlett 18i8, 2i2 and Line 6 Guitar port and GS).)

The problem was solved by switching to Live 9.5.1x (Beta) - but broke all my third party scripts due to the Python update.

However, I hadn't checked Live 9.5/Push 2 with Asio4all. When I tested it, there were No Crashes!. I switched back and forth between 9.5/Asio4all and 9.5.1b6, and was able to open projects with No Crashes!

Bottom Line - if you are getting these crashes, try Asio4all and see if it works with your computer sound card. Latency is actually pretty good for my pc's (not as good as the hardware, but still respectable).

This discovery is still in the early stages, so I'll report back if there is a change, but for those having crashes, try Asio4all - I have no idea why it works, but it does! (The only thing I can think of is that the other interfaces have midi implementation, which may be creating a conflict with the script for Push 2, but..... go figure...)

meta-redundant

Post by meta-redundant » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:00 am

OK - I just suffered through this, was ready to starting wrecking things (lol), and here's what I found.

v9.5 was working flawlessly for me on Win10.

Updated to Live 9.6 - Push 2 then crashed Live every time, whether Push 2 was turned on before starting Live, or whether I turned it on after Live was already started. Either way, if it was connected and turned on, I would get the "A serious error has occurred..." message, and Live would crash hard.

Ruthlessly trashing all preferences and ancillary files, then reinstalling - did nothing. Reverting back to 9.5 did nothing. Disabling ReWire (via the Options.txt fix) did nothing.

Now here's the crazy part: I realized I didn't even need to have Push2 connected to crash Live - I only needed to select it as a MIDI controller in the Preferences (!). If I went into the "Control Surface" drop-down and chose Push 2, BAM. OK - now we're getting somewhere. Clearly when it tries to link up with the driver (or remote script? not sure how it works in practice) - this is what's causing the problem. I also noticed something else: normally, connecting/disconnecting the hardware would cause the Windows "device connected" sound to play - and this had stopped happening after the v9.6 update. OK, time to nuke the driver.

So I went into Device Manager, exposed hidden devices (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315539), and deleted all instances of the Push 2 hardware from:

--Sound, video and game controllers ("Ableton Push 2")
--Universal Serial Bus Devices ("Push 2 Display" - be sure check the box that asks if you want to completely remove the driver from the system)
--Software Devices (2 instances of "Live Port" and 2 instances of "User Port")

I trashed the Live preferences for good measure, and rebooted.

I launched Live, let it rebuild all the preference folders, and with Live still running, re-connected the hardware - ah, there's the Windows "new device connected" sound....AND I was now in business.

Your mileage may vary - but if you're still struggling and haven't found a solution (and if merely SELECTING the control surface in the MIDI preferences crashes Live), it's maybe worth a try?

Cheers!

classicaltrombone

Post by classicaltrombone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 am

Same issue, every single time I start Push 2 it crashes Live, no matter when or what order or... anything. It works totally fine on my laptop.

Things I've tried:
-reinstall 9.6 (many times)
-delete old versions
-delete preferences
-delete the Push USB drivers in Device Manager
-9.6 Beta
-All of the above with 9.6 Beta
-Turn off ReWire
-Windows 8 Compatibility Mode
-All of the above with Windows 8 Mode

I'm trying to figure out the difference between my laptop (works fine) and my desktop (crashes every time.) The only difference I see is that the laptop has 8GB of RAM and the desktop has 12GB... not the issue. Everything else seems identical.

I'll call Ableton in the morning and see if they have anything else to try. Did anybody ever find a definitive fix for this rather than just a work-around?? [I'll update once it's fixed]

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 am

classicaltrombone wrote:Same issue, every single time I start Push 2 it crashes Live, no matter when or what order or... anything. It works totally fine on my laptop.

Things I've tried:
-delete old versions
-delete preferences
-9.6 Beta
-Turn off ReWire

I'm trying to figure out the difference between my laptop (works fine) and my desktop (crashes every time.) The only difference I see is that the laptop has 8GB of RAM and the desktop has 12GB... not the issue. Everything else seems identical.

I'll call Ableton in the morning and see if they have anything else to try. Did anybody ever find a definitive fix for this rather than just a work-around?? [I'll update once it's fixed]
Try using a different audio interface or Asio4all

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 am

Ive bought an new audiointerface, ( a cheap but great sounding, Steinbergs UR12 ) did the most annoying thing, a total and clean reboot, of my computer. Now everything works perfect

If it was the old interface ( Propelleheads Balance ) or crap in my computer, i really dont know, but problem solved :)

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

win 10, 64 bit, 16 gb ram, intel 8xcore i7-4790 cpu 3.60zh, Live suite 9, Steinberg UR12
http://lovelight.biz/

classicaltrombone

Post by classicaltrombone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
classicaltrombone wrote:Same issue, every single time I start Push 2 it crashes Live, no matter when or what order or... anything. It works totally fine on my laptop.

Things I've tried:
-delete old versions
-delete preferences
-9.6 Beta
-Turn off ReWire

Try using a different audio interface or Asio4all
Tried without an interface plugged in, ASIO4ALL, it's all bad news.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:36 pm

Also, make sure ALL references to Push are ununstalled in Device Manager (or Mac equivalent), including USB devices).. and reboot

classicaltrombone

Post by classicaltrombone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:15 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Also, make sure ALL references to Push are ununstalled in Device Manager (or Mac equivalent), including USB devices).. and reboot
Yeah no dice (for me at least.) Was on the phone with Ableton this morning. They got my crash log and said they'll follow up. We'll see!