novation launch control

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heuristics

novation launch control

Post by heuristics » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:51 am

got a couple questions for all the novation launch control users out there...

1. Will the launch control follow the launch pad as far as channel scrolling? If i scroll over on my launch pad will the launch control automatically follow to match? (say channel, 9, 10 and so on)

2. Is it possible to change midi mappings within the novation midi software AND have it apply as I scroll over to other channels (channels 9, 10 etc)
For example, change the max value of the control xl faders to 0db (anyone know why max is 6db?) and have that apply as I scroll over to channels 9,10....
OR change the 3 knobs on the control xl to EQ3 and have that apply as I scroll over to channels 9,10 etc.

Thinking of picking up the control or control xl during a black friday sale tmrw, but just wanted to hear a bit more about the functionality

Cheers 8)

mrgrim3

Re: novation launch control

Post by mrgrim3 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:39 am

I have launch control and I have to say I was underwhelmed by its controlling live aspect you basically have to hold the factory button and press pad 1-3 to selecr the different control mechanisms like sends , faders, device but it works pretty good when you get used to it and I think the knobs are especially nice quality

I use it in Cubase too though for vst quick controls you just have to set it up though

I cant answer your questions really but I have one and its ok

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 am

heuristics wrote:got a couple questions for all the novation launch control users out there...

1. Will the launch control follow the launch pad as far as channel scrolling? If i scroll over on my launch pad will the launch control automatically follow to match? (say channel, 9, 10 and so on)
No it doesn't, you'll need MaxforLive to use LaunchSync which was designed with Novation for exactly this purpose...

http://isotonikstudios.com/isotonik/launchsync-series/
heuristics wrote: 2. Is it possible to change midi mappings within the novation midi software AND have it apply as I scroll over to other channels (channels 9, 10 etc)
For example, change the max value of the control xl faders to 0db (anyone know why max is 6db?) and have that apply as I scroll over to channels 9,10....
OR change the 3 knobs on the control xl to EQ3 and have that apply as I scroll over to channels 9,10 etc.
Which is how the encoders functionality of LaunchSync works, you can have it map to the faders or indeed the channel strips...

It's the LaunchControl XL you have? in which case...

http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/launchcontrol-xxl/

Will give you user 6 which makes all 24 encoders automat to the blue handed device, lock it to launch sync and you'll still have all of the standard functionality and can control 4 banks of 24 dynamic parameters...EQ bank One, Filters Bank TWO, Effects Bank Three etc.

Cheers
D

heuristics

Post by heuristics » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Cool thanks s4,

So I would have to have max for live running while playing?

Only reason I ask is my laptop is a few years old and kinda slow, So I really try to keep cpu load at a minimum while playing live sets.

Cheers

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Yes you'll need MaxforLive....

Cheers
D

heuristics

Post by heuristics » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:36 pm

so i picked up a control xl only to realize that it wont work with ableton 9.1.2

is there anything the isotonik scirpts can do to provide functionality for users of older ableton versions?

bah might just have to return it....

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:26 pm

9.5 is available for download when you log into Ableton.com

The new Simpler upgrade is amazing.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 pm

heuristics wrote:so i picked up a control xl only to realize that it wont work with ableton 9.1.2

is there anything the isotonik scirpts can do to provide functionality for users of older ableton versions?

bah might just have to return it....
We need 9.1.4 at a minimum to do anything sorry!

Cheers
D

sam i am

Post by sam i am » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:07 pm

heuristics wrote:functionality for users of older ableton versions?
did you have any luck with this? I'm trying to get it working with Live 6 :lol: for what it's worth, sometimes Live sees the MIDI signals!
Fujitsu Lifebook T901, i7-2620M 2.7GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, Windows 7, Echo Audio 2 DJ, Live 6.0.11 if that helps...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:13 pm

You should be able to midi map it. On the top right of the Live screen I believe are 'key' and 'midi', for keyboard and midi mapping in Live.

It will not work the way it says on the box by default because it didn't even exist when Live 6 came out.

However, you can make a user remote script for it, and that's get you kinda somewhere. The uc-33e had a control surface preset otherwise, but you'd have to figure out what cc# each parameter is expected to have.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Live 6, it's impossible,,, the function didn't even exist in the remote framework,...

Cheers
D