November 29th, 2015: 9.5 Wiped Packs and Plug-ins. DISGUSTED

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musictechguy

November 29th, 2015: 9.5 Wiped Packs and Plug-ins. DISGUSTED

Post by musictechguy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Suddenly all my custom pack and plug-ins have disappeared from the lists on Ableton after installing 9.5. Unbelievable.

WHAT IS GOING ON? This is shoddy and atrocious

fishmonkey

Re: November 29th, 2015: 9.5 Wiped Packs and Plug-ins. DISGUSTED

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 am

November 28th, 2015: Shut my back door, there was a caterpillar in the door frame, and its guts spurted out all over my hand. DISGUSTED

granted

Kashi GO LEAN Oatmeal tastes like hot, wet cardboard. DISGUS

Post by granted » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 am

November 29th, 2015: Kashi GO LEAN Oatmeal tastes like hot, wet cardboard. DISGUSTED

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 am

Thanksgiving dinner. DIGESTED!
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:10 am

musictechguy wrote:Suddenly all my custom pack and plug-ins have disappeared from the lists on Ableton after installing 9.5. Unbelievable.

WHAT IS GOING ON? This is shoddy and atrocious
Something similar happened to me tonight. I noticed Live was not terminating its processes after I closed Live. Make sure all the Live processes are terminated, then launch Live again.

I submitted a bug report for this. Note sure if your issue is the same.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:54 am

Just be sure Live is not indexing the library.

If your actual content is still there on your PC drive, but is missing in your Live library, don't stress, just check where it says "Places" if a circle is animated there which indicates the library building. This will also account for why you may have processes left after closing Live (the indexing continues in the background).

This can occur with new versions of live or re-installations.

musictechguy

Post by musictechguy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 am

jestermgee wrote:Just be sure Live is not indexing the library.

If your actual content is still there on your PC drive, but is missing in your Live library, don't stress, just check where it says "Places" if a circle is animated there which indicates the library building. This will also account for why you may have processes left after closing Live (the indexing continues in the background).

This can occur with new versions of live or re-installations.
Thanks for an actual reply that relates to this topic. I work with Music Technology every day. If this happened with Cubase or Logic, it would destroy their reputations. Full stop. Imagine opening a Logic project which you've been working on with an artist, limited by time, to find that 50 odd files are simply not found or recognised.

Back to the issue - I don't think there's any indexing still going on. The upgrade has made carnage of my work.

For all the joking around, if people find this acceptable from a product which meant to be of professional quality, then the joke is definitely not on me. Looking at this situation objectively, you upgrade and it destroys your work, this is not a professional product.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:57 am

musictechguy wrote: Thanks for an actual reply that relates to this topic. I work with Music Technology every day. If this happened with Cubase or Logic, it would destroy their reputations. Full stop. Imagine opening a Logic project which you've been working on with an artist, limited by time, to find that 50 odd files are simply not found or recognised.
oops, my mistake, i thought this topic was about emotive and visceral over-reactions to life events.

back in the day when i used to work in a studio with Logic it used to crash many times a day/night. even worse the Mac Pro crashed while installing a firmware update to our brand new mixing console, bricking it. it had to be shipped over 4000 km (one way) to be fixed.

anyway, surely you didn't hose your whole production system by installing Live 9.5. since you work with Music Technology every day, i'm sure you kept the previous stable version, and made a backup too...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 am

Contact support@ableton.com, perhaps they can sort out your issue. Otherwise, try reinstalling Live 9.5 again, and make sure that it's pointing to the correct location for your library in the Live preferences.

musictechguy

Post by musictechguy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:23 am

fishmonkey wrote:
musictechguy wrote: Thanks for an actual reply that relates to this topic. I work with Music Technology every day. If this happened with Cubase or Logic, it would destroy their reputations. Full stop. Imagine opening a Logic project which you've been working on with an artist, limited by time, to find that 50 odd files are simply not found or recognised.
oops, my mistake, i thought this topic was about emotive and visceral over-reactions to life events.

back in the day when i used to work in a studio with Logic it used to crash many times a day/night. even worse the Mac Pro crashed while installing a firmware update to our brand new mixing console, bricking it. it had to be shipped over 4000 km (one way) to be fixed.

anyway, surely you didn't hose your whole production system by installing Live 9.5. since you work with Music Technology every day, i'm sure you kept the previous stable version, and made a backup too...
Logic is very stable. I've seen several updates on tens of machines, and never causing this catastrophe.

As for "stable versions", I thought that release versions are meant to be stable, or aren't they tested properly? I'll save you having to answer. The answer is No.

And yes, I have backups. I haven't tried rolling back yet.

As for "emotive and visceral", you'll have to excuse me for having expectations that this was a professional piece of music software, such as those I deal with every day.

However you look at it, this update has made a complete mess. Whoever has been responsible for this, should be held to account. This is the type of catastrophe which should be ironed out pre beta testing. It's a basic function of converting from one version to another.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 am

musictechguy wrote: Whoever has been responsible for this, should be held to account.
Considering how this incident seems to be unique to you and your machine, I can't help but wonder if that person is you.

Honestly I can't help but feel that way about a lot of bug reports and problems I see around here.

Can't plan for every goofy setup of every goofy musician.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 pm

jonbenderr wrote:
musictechguy wrote: Whoever has been responsible for this, should be held to account.
Considering how this incident seems to be unique to you and your machine, I can't help but wonder if that person is you.

Honestly I can't help but feel that way about a lot of bug reports and problems I see around here.

Can't plan for every goofy setup of every goofy musician.
Actually, there is another thread that I have been posting to this week with a very similar problem related to packs destroying my browser library. So far, I am missing over 700 GB of personally-recorded material from my User Library that Live no longer recognizes. All .alc files, still in their folders, but "off line" as far as Ableton is concerned. Considering that I have also lost access to a nearly-finished track due to the new Ableton/Waves Central issue, and there is still no access to NI's Replika, which I also use frequently, I can sympathize with the OP's frustration.

I'm starting to imagine a world where all my recording and mixdown are done in other software, because this recent loss of work and material has been very painful.

Yes, I have an e-mail into both Ableton and Waves Audio, so I still have hope.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:04 am

This also happened to me. After I restarted Live, it never happened again. As for the other jokers having a go at you, this place has always been full of assholes who sit around monitoring the forum and don't ever make one note of music you will ever hear. Jackasses
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 am

While I generally agree with you, in the spirit of trying to keep this a more positive place where users can help each other, let's avoid calling other users names and derailing threads.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:While I generally agree with you, in the spirit of trying to keep this a more positive place where users can help each other, let's avoid calling other users names and derailing threads.
Agree with this. I think it would also be helpful if people indicated whether they'd contacted support and what the response was. If your first port of call to report / complain about an issue is this forum then I think you should expect a little ribbing in response.